Cannot create requested inventory!

R0S3S

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's happening to quite a few people. And getting worse it seems. I suggest don't buy anything as it could be lost and then you're out lindens -and- the item. Changing outfits, trying to take things off and on causes the same issues, a relog will fix it but make sure to check what you're wearing if you become a cloud because chances are your skin disappeared or something. Trying to rez things causes it, so don't rez no copy items if you cherish them. Even then, half your inventory could disappear in the case of a friend of mine, who's been with LL since before the last inventory debacle several years ago.

It's so widespread that it isn't individual corrupted inventories, it's the whole database that seems to be crumbling. Every single one of my friends is having the same, serious issues, and  a few of those include creators. The frustration level for some people is near the boiling point... o.O

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Inventory-issues/td-p/2455151 

It seems a bit pointless to add this, but LL are going to be doing another round of Scheduled Inventory Database Maintenance on Monday, and if what I have managed to understand so far is anything to go by, another tranche of accounts will be corrected.  It may well be that the issue is not improved until the Rolling Restarts this week since changes have to be made on the sim servers as well (apparently).

Now none of this is much comfort to accounts blighted by this inventory issue...my partner had to wait 20 minutes for the asset server to find the item of inventory she requested today  (and no, it wasn't her PC, modem or ISP, we know the ropes, please do not give us any MORE platitudes).

Quite when LL will sort this issue out, if ever, remains to be seen.

I notice that there is now an "Unscheduled Inventory Database Maintenance" operation going, started last SL night and still apparently in progress.

This is getting to be so regular that one could set one's SL clock by it...if, of course, the asset server could find it and would allow you to rez it!

I was getting this error message using CoolVL so I switched to Firestorm and got it again, but when I then switched to use the LL viewer the problem went away. It might be coincidence that the inventory issue resolved between closing Firestorm and opening LL's viewer, or it could be the TPV's have a different time-out setting waiting for a response from the asset servers.

Database maintenance is a good thing. Anyone with db experience knows the larger and more complex a db is the more it requires maintenace. Given the number of people in SL constantly creating, deleting, modifying and swapping (buying and selling) items in SL it's a wonder there isn't more need for maintenance.

Cincia Singh wrote:

Database maintenance is a good thing. Anyone with db experience knows the larger and more complex a db is the more it requires maintenace. Given the number of people in SL constantly creating, deleting, modifying and swapping (buying and selling) items in SL it's a wonder there isn't more need for maintenance.

Evidently there is a need for more maintenance.

A database in need of unscheduled maintenance is never a good thing.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Cincia Singh wrote:

Evidently there
is
a need for more maintenance.

A database in need of 
unscheduled
 maintenance is 
never
 a good thing.

Considering the recent rash of comments in the Forum about inventory problems ("can not create requested item") and some snafus I've had myself this week end (worn objects refusing to detach), I'd say it is more than just Maintenance going on.  It is actually "Repairs."

All this is becoming ridiculous, and "unscheduled maintenances" mean that the Lab isn't fixing anything — which I can tell from the issues I experience daily.

It is frustrating to keep losing items because of inventory faults. These days, I only buy items from stores which have a redelivery system, and building anything is just a mirage.

P.S. A backup system on the client side would make our "Second Life experience" much better because safer, but of course that's just a dream which will never become true — both the Lab and merchants aren't "motivated" to the idea.

Cincia

It is about time you packed in this anti-TPV attitude.  It is becoming tiresome and in this particular case it is completely inaccurate; the inventory issues are occurring to users on LL viewers every bit as much as on TPVs.

As is pointed out in other posts on this thread, Scheduled Maintenance is no bad thing, but Unscheduled Maintenance on a weekend is NEVER good and simply deepens my concern that a fundamental asset server system within SL is failing.

At the moment the Maintenance that LL keep performing on the Inventory database seems akin to firefighters attempting to extinguish a coal-seam fire by putting out surface fires when they appear.  It is also about as effective.

And one more unscheduled maintenance:

[postED 7:31 PM PST, 2 February 2014] We are performing an unscheduled inventory maintenance. During this time, some residents may be logged off and will be temporarily unable to log in, or experience inventory loading issues. This maintenance may also disrupt transactions. Please refrain from transacting with L$ or rezzing valuable (no-copy) items until the all-clear is given. Please check back here for updates.

Only a few hours after an "unscheduled maintenance" another one started. Doesn't seem that people "with db experience" are being able to fix whatever happened. Actually, I fear the database is beyond repair — but I hope not (yeah, faith is silly, I know.)

So how is that related with TPV's?

Maybe it's too early for good news, but for the second day in a row I haven't experienced inventory issues. I wonder if my database records were repaired and/or copied to a fresh database... One thing is sure: the Lab is working on it and seems to be achieving some results.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.