Face to face communications

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the real world we look people in the eye when communicating with them. Thisis a very important part of our body language which tells the other person that we have their attention. When in Second Life our avatars stare off into space looking anywhere but the avatar we are communicating with. Wouldn't be nice if there was an easy way to establish eye to eye contact with someone? As it turns out it is a very easy thing to do. Second Life provides the abiulity for your avatar to look directly at someone if you want to, it's just defaulted to not active. Some knowledge of editing files is required.

Steps:

1. Go to your Second Life program folder. Inside you file a folder called charater, open that and the first file you will see is attentions.xml. This is the file you will need to edit. You can open this with your favorite editor or download a free xml editor. (I use XMLmarker.) Look for the line that is like this:

<param attention="conversation" priority="0.0" timeout="-1"   />

It will occur twice in the file. Simply change the priority from "0.0" to "5.0" and save the file. That's all there is to it. Run Second Life and you can look at any person just by clicking on them. 

attentions_xml.jpg

Lots of AO animations have the head movement locked to the animation (which I don't like). I wonder will your method work with those, letting the head to turn freely?

I remember one bot which used to be often in crowded xploder places. When you addressed the bot by its name, the bot first turned so that it faced you and looked directly at you and then it typed its reply. I found that that very cool.

Or rather than fiddle with the files, get an animation overused that does not lock the head (Abranimations for example) and then use your camera controls to 'lock onto' the person you're talking to.

However I don't mind if someone is looking around, it shows they're admiring their suroundings and not just staying inside a bubble near their avatar :)

Nathan Zetkin wrote: Run Second Life and you can look at any person just by clicking on them. 

When I joined SL, we used to be able to just click on another avatar's face/head and we would be "looking" at them.  Our head and eyes would look like we were focused on them.  I remember doing this.

Could this have been changed when viewers were updated? 

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Can accomplish this in two ways without changing attentions.xml as OP suggests.

Alt+Left Click on an avatar (aim for the face, otherwise you'll look like you're lookin' at boobs to anyone showing LookAt)

Ctrl+\ is keyboard shortcut that focusses on the last avatar to have spoken in chat. I like this setting.

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

When I joined SL, we used to be able to just click on another avatar's face/head and we would be "looking" at them.  Our head and eyes would look like we were focused on them.  I remember doing this.

No, it has not changed. It still works like it has always worked. The only condition is that in your AO you have only animations which do not lock the head. Then as the head can freely turn, it will turn towards anything you have locked your mouse pointer (doing an ALT click).

Avatars are also sound aware, if the head is not locked in animation, then if you make a noise near the avatar the head will briefly turn towards the sound source.

I have noticed that some are annoyed that the avatar head turns where they are looking at. There have been question in the forums "Help, how I can stop the avatar head turning where I'm looking at?" This always mystifies me, why on earth they want to make the avatar looking like a zombie. The avatars are already very expressionless, statue like, I don't understand the need to enhance that even more by preventing head turning to the look at target.

Coby Foden wrote:

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

yes, it was deprecated and disabled several years ago. touchable attachments made this feature confusing for new people so it was nerfed.

No, it wasn't disabled.

yes, it was disabled in attentions.xml. that is why Nathan started this thread to show how to enable it. if it was not disabled, there would be no need to enable it.

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

yes, it was disabled in attentions.xml. that is why Nathan started this thread to show how to enable it. if it was not disabled, there would be no need to enable it.

Well, if it was disabled why does my head turn to where I'm looking at? Also when I have not fixed the mouse pointer at something and then circle the mouse around the avatar head, the head follows the mouse pointer.

Clearly something is not disabled.

PS

Using Firestorm 4.5.1

I checked Linden Lab viewer too, the head follows the mouse also in: Second Life 3.6.12

Coby Foden wrote:

Well, if it was disabled why does my head turn to where I'm looking at?

My understanding of attentions.xml is that mouse motion affecting head/eye focus (the motion you describe) is called by the 'param' known as freelook, which you can see is not disabled in the copy published by the OP.

Obvious is talking about the locked focus of the head that can be accomplished by clicking/touching an avatar (as if you'd alt+clicked to lock camera focus, but the camera angle doesn't move) - this can also be seen using the Developer feature Show LookAt. This functionality is a separate part of attentions.xml - the param is called conversation and in the OP's copy is disabled. The OP talks about re-enabling this param.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.