Poems

steph Arnott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For free? You have to be joking. My agent would disown me. Well, the 10% of me that she owns, at least.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then i see no reason anymore to respond to your de railing, thankyou for your input, it was interesting, but of no use.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steph Arnott wrote:

For free? You have
 to be joking. My agent would disown me. Well, the 10% of me that she owns, at least.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then i see no reason anymore to respond to your de railing, thankyou for your input, it was interesting, but of no use.

Derailing? I have been offering relevant commentary, which is rather the point of a General Discussions forum.

If you have found it of no use, then you have missed several opportunities to advance yourself, contradicting what you posted earlier. Or perhaps your comprehension is lacking.

**********Rudi**********

steph Arnott wrote:

I not understand your inflexibility, language evolves, what you speak would be considered incomprehensible fifty years ago.

The English language you defend so vehemently is nothing more than a mashed up concoction of everyone else's true language. If you truly can find one word that is English I salute you.

ADDED: What has rhyme to do with poetry, you very strange. All ways shouting at the wind.

I fail to understand why you'd wish to insult the English language, within the very same thread which you are trying to collect poems that are written in the English language.  The fact that you've been caught up in a back and forth with Rudi, with whom you've obviously got issues, is hardly an excuse.

...Dres

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

Knowl Paine wrote:

I think it is a good poem.

No, it's not a good poem.

You might like it, but that certainly doesn't make it a "good" poem.

If it is a poem at all, as opposed to doggerel based on the thesaurus entry for 'purple', that is.

**********Rudi**********

If Knowl thinks it's good, then it's good.  If you think it's not good, than it's not... see how that works?

I shall refrain from giving my opinion on it's merit, but will say that I believe that it will probably lend itself well to Steph's project, by it's descriptive, non-controversial nature.

...Dres (Though that could also be said of the inside text of most greeting cards.)

You miss interpreted the response to someone who demeans others way of talking are writing. If it came across a offensive to English speaker then I apologize, but how people speak or write is not for strict rule by people that believe they superior.

ADDED: All I wanted to do was create a inworld book for others to enjoy,I do not need this irritation of petty arguments and slagging off, if it was not for the fact some had contributed, which I have to honor I would have dumped the project.

BTW: I some one keep poking me yes i get piissed off, the no need for people to do that. Lets just forget it all and fk anything worth a go. Anyone IM me inworld and stuff this bunch of twats. I get poked by some one and its my fault. Pamatta fusei.

ADDED: As i promised i will produce the book inworld. If some here want to detere me on that, you will fail. My promises are always kept. I will still cheack here and inworld, anything else ther no chat here. Be blessed all.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

ETA: If it doesn't rhyme, it's prose, not poetry.

Is there no such thing as
where you're from?

...Dres

The mere fact that the descriptor has to be modified suggests that the literary form is not acknowledged as pure "poetry" per se. Similarly concrete poetry does not involve engraving rhymes into stone like substances. Surprisingly perhaps, a poetic licence does not have a set fee and does not have to be renewed annually.

"Poetry" as an unbridled concept can cover text which does not rhyme, and even concatenations of letters which do not make identifiable words; it can be used to describe the delivery of a funeral oration, a sunset, the way in which someone's buttocks gyrate as they walk, or the way in which several gifted sportsmen interact, inter alia.

But when you are talking about plain and simple "poetry", it is defined, in counterpoint against prose, as rhyming text.

Not that everything that rhymes deserves to be called poetry, mind.

**********Rudi**********

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

Knowl Paine wrote:

I think it is a good poem.

No, it's not a good poem.

You might like it, but that certainly doesn't make it a "good" poem.

If it is a poem at all, as opposed to doggerel based on the thesaurus entry for 'purple', that is.

**********Rudi**********

If Knowl thinks it's good, then it's good.  If you think it's not good, than it's not... see how that works?

Exactly the point I was making.

Otherwise all the women in the world would want to marry just the one man.

Poor bloke.

**********Rudi**********

steph Arnott wrote:

You miss interpreted the response to someone who demeans others way of talking are writing. If it came across a offensive to English speaker then I apologize, but how people speak or write is not for strict rule by people that believe they superior.

ADDED: All I wanted to do was create a inworld book for others to enjoy,I do not need this irritation of petty arguments and slagging off, if it was not for the fact some had contributed, which I have to honor I would have dumped the project.

BTW: I some one keep poking me yes i get piissed off, the no need for people to do that. Lets just forget it all and fk anything worth a go. Anyone IM me inworld and stuff this bunch of twats. I get poked by some one and its my fault. Pamatta fusei.

I'll repeat my point of view; it is not simply that your English is appalling and confusing to readers, it is compounded by your ignorant refusal to make any apparent effort to improve it - when there are tools to do so readily available - which is insulting to those who are confronted by your semi-literate ravings.

**********Rudi**********

steph Arnott wrote:

So your life is a toilet of sht, so what your point? Cnts  like you have no friends and go online because they just lonely and sad. Get over it, or just decompose.Talk over permanently.

Well, Spurs did lose very badly today (5-0 at home to Liverpool) so I'm a bit sad.

But on the up side, my daughter was crowned Queen of the Megabowl, my son has returned from University taller than me, and I managed to adulterate my wife's teetotal trifle with Blackcurrant Pimms without her noticing.

There's nothing on tv tonight though.

So I am listening to all 279 of the Bruce Springsteen tracks which I have on my PC.

VERY LOUDLY

**********Rudi**********

ETA: I paid a homage to Jim Morrison's grave in Paris last week. It was amazing, there were all these musical notes in the air, disappearing into the ground. I asked the French custodian what was happening, and he said that Jim was decomposing...

steph Arnott wrote:

Could please send me it in world so I get the tab correct. Outhunt

ADDED: I just thought I never say they had to be exclusively In English.

Ying tong ying tong

Ying tong ying tong

Ying tong iddle I po,

Ying tong ying tong

Ying tong ying tong

Ying tong iddle I po.

[Now out of copyright, so I have repurposed it as a prose poem]

**********Rudi**********

steph Arnott wrote:

Could please send me it in world so I get the tab correct. Outhunt

ADDED: I just thought I never say they had to be exclusively In English.

I assume you mean that I should send it to you in a notecard and, while I most certainly could, you must understand that the limited word processing capabilities of the SL notecard editor makes formatting something like this impossible to get exactly right.  Even the text functionality here is inadequate for the task, unless you insert the appropriate HTML by hand, which was the only way that I was able to format it correctly when I posted it here.

What you will need to do is, either in your text editor or the text function of your image manipulation program, set the text to centered, write out each line of the poem, then, when you get to the very last line, just make sure that there's enough space between each letter of the word "completely", in order for it to appear slightly longer than the previous line.  This may be one space between the letters or more, depending one which font you choose.  Do remember that the title of the poem is c o m p l e t e l y, which, you should note, is not capitalized and contains only one space between each letter.

...Dres

I regret sending this "poem" to steph Arnott and asking her to post it. I did not wish to cause her grief. I am sorry for that steph.

I do not profess to be a "writer" nor a "poet", but I enjoy putting into words what I see in my minds eye. I only wished to share the place I had visited in my thoughts. I do not know the "rules" and "regulations" of poetry. I write what I feel, nothing more. I should not have presumed to share this as a poem. It is merely a collection of descriptive words, but they are mine and I shall treasure them. Thank you all for your feedback. I will leave poetry to the poets. Goodnight~

steph Arnott wrote:

Please stop, i beg. The post was for peope to express them selves and you just to nbe honist  crushed me to tears, men thats what they do.

Steph, sweety... just let it go.  It does you absolutely no good to get so upset over this.  There is little that you can do to change the actions of another person and even if you manage to do so, it usually comes at a steep price.  It's much easier and often less costly to instead modify your own actions.  The only effort it takes to disengage is a bit of will power.  In other words, stop replying to those with whom you do not wish to remain in conversation.

The moment that you show an opponent that they have the power to affect you so negatively, is the moment you give up your advantage... ignoring them is perhaps the very best way doing this.  If you put this way of thinking into practice, you might find that, eventually, not showing that you've been affected will turn into actually not being affected... at which point, you will have achieved the ability to withstand attacks without being too badly hurt and, should you choose to engage, do so without sacrificing your own emotional well being.

...Dres

Kelley Wonder wrote:

I regret sending this "poem" to steph Arnott and asking her to post it. I did not wish to cause her grief. I am sorry for that steph.

I do not profess to be a "writer" nor a "poet", but I enjoy putting into words what I see in my minds eye. I only wished to share the place I had visited in my thoughts. I do not know the "rules" and "regulations" of poetry. I write what I feel, nothing more. I should not have presumed to share this as a poem. It is merely a collection of descriptive words, but they are mine and I shall treasure them. Thank you all for your feedback. I will leave poetry to the poets. Goodnight~

I can't imagine what Steph might have done to make you regret submitting your lovely poem for inclusion in her book.  As soon as I read about her idea, I thought it was wonderful and kicked myself for not thinking of it first.

I must commend you for submitting your obviously very heartfelt assembly of words to be scrutinized by the general public... exposing one's self in this manner is never easy.  There are no rules and regulations where poetry is concerned and one need not be a "writer" or "poet" in order to affect someone with their words.

People who offer us negative commentary serve a very useful purpose, as long as we're able to put what they say into rational perspective.  Sometimes what they've said can provide us with valuable insight... other times, it's complete and utter crap... which can still provide us with the opportunity to learn something from it.

In closing, I suggest you continue putting your thoughts and feelings into words; then share them as you see fit.  The worst thing you can do is stifle yourself for fear of what people may say.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Kelley Wonder wrote:

I can't imagine what Steph might have done to make you regret submitting your lovely poem for inclusion in her book.  As soon as I read about her idea, I thought it was wonderful and kicked myself for not thinking of it first.

I must commend you for submitting your obviously very heartfelt assembly of words to be scrutinized by the general public... exposing one's self in this manner is never easy.  There are no rules and regulations where poetry is concerned and one need not be a "writer" or "poet" in order to affect someone with their words.

People who offer us negative commentary serve a very useful purpose, as long as we're able to put what they say into rational perspective.  Sometimes what they've said can provide us with valuable insight... other times, it's complete and utter crap... which can still provide us with the opportunity to learn something from it.

In closing, I suggest you continue putting your thoughts and feelings into words; then share them as you see fit.  The worst thing you can do is stifle yourself for fear of what people may say.

...Dres

Kelley made no claim that Steph had done anything, Dres. She was expressing regret for her submission causing Steph grief, which was brought on purposely by another.

Kelley Wonder wrote:

I do not profess to be a "writer" nor a "poet", but I enjoy putting into words what I see in my minds eye. I only wished to share the place I had visited in my thoughts. I do not know the "rules" and "regulations" of poetry.
I write what I feel, nothing more.
I should not have presumed to share this as a poem.
It is merely a collection of descriptive words, but they are mine and I shall treasure them.
Thank you all for your feedback. I will leave poetry to the poets. Goodnight~

Kelley,

From the Oxford English Dictionary...

poetry

noun

• literary work in which the expression of feelings and ideas is given intensity by the use of distinctive style and rhythm; poems collectively or as a genre of literature:
    he felt a desire to investigate through poetry the subjects of pain and deathshe glanced at the papers and saw some lines of poetryhe is chiefly famous for his love poetry
  •  a quality of beauty and intensity of emotion regarded as characteristic of poems:
    poetry and fire are nicely balanced in the music
  • something regarded as comparable to poetry in its beauty:
    the music department is housed in a building which is pure poetry

Origin:

late Middle English: from medieval Latin poetria, from Latin poeta 'poet'. In early use the word sometimes referred to creative literature in general

There may be rules and regulations of poetry, but poets probably won't recognize them. When someone professes to know those rules, particularly with certainty, be wary.

Someone is certain

in a matter of the heart?

Salt to taste... or spit!

I shall claim that is a Haiku. It has 17 syllables in 5-7-5 form. It does not allude to a season, but does use a seasoning. It also uses punctuation to compare two images. Rawr!

Since I seem to know some rules, I'd take me with a grain of salt, too.

;-)

ETA: To my mind, "Kelley Wonder" is a two word poem.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Kelley Wonder wrote:

...Dres

Kelley made no claim that Steph had done anything, Dres. She was expressing regret for her submission causing Steph grief, which was brought on purposely by another.

Looking back at how I worded my reply, I realize that my first sentence inaccurately reads as if I think Steph did something wrong... this was not what I was trying to imply in any way.  Though I must point out that Kelley stated that her regret was in sending Steph the poem and asking her to post it.  She then apologized for causing Steph grief because of it... this was not at all the case (as you pointed out... the grief was brought about by someone else).  This is why I posted in support of, not only Kelley's submission, but Steph's initial idea for her SL book of collected of poems.

...Dres

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Kelley Wonder wrote:

I do not profess to be a "writer" nor a "poet", but I enjoy putting into words what I see in my minds eye. I only wished to share the place I had visited in my thoughts. I do not know the "rules" and "regulations" of poetry.
I write what I feel, nothing more.
I should not have presumed to share this as a poem.
It is merely a collection of descriptive words, but they are mine and I shall treasure them.
Thank you all for your feedback. I will leave poetry to the poets. Goodnight~

Kelley,

From the Oxford English Dictionary...

poetry

noun
  • literary work in which the expression of feelings and ideas is given intensity by the use of distinctive style and rhythm; poems collectively or as a genre of literature:
    he felt a desire to investigate through poetry the subjects of pain and death
    she glanced at the papers and saw some lines of poetry
    he is chiefly famous for his love poetry
  •  
    a quality of beauty and intensity of emotion regarded as characteristic of poems:
    poetry and fire are nicely balanced in the music
  • something regarded as comparable to poetry in its beauty:
    the music department is housed in a building which is pure poetry

Origin:

late Middle English
: from medieval Latin 
poetria
, from Latin 
poeta
 'poet'. In early use the word sometimes referred to creative literature in general

There may be rules and regulations of poetry, but poets probably won't recognize them. When someone professes to know those rules, particularly with certainty, be wary.

Someone is certain

in a matter of the heart?

Salt to taste... or spit!

I shall claim that is a 
. It has 17 syllables in 5-7-5 form. It does not allude to a season, but does use a seasoning. It also uses punctuation to compare two images. Rawr!

Since I seem to know some rules, I'd take me
, too.

;-)

ETA: To my mind, "Kelley Wonder" is a two word poem.

You're a poet and don't know it. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

steph Arnott wrote:

Please stop, i beg. The post was for peope to express them selves and you just to nbe honist  crushed me to tears,
men thats what they do.

Steph, sweety... just let it go.  It does you absolutely no good to get so upset over this.  There is little that you can do to change the actions of another person and even if you manage to do so, it usually comes at a steep price.  It's much easier and often less costly to instead modify your own actions.  The only effort it takes to disengage is a bit of will power.  In other words, stop replying to those with whom you do not wish to remain in conversation.

The moment that you show an opponent that they have the power to affect you so negatively, is the moment you give up your advantage... ignoring them is perhaps the very best way doing this.  If you put this way of thinking into practice, you might find that, eventually, not showing that you've been affected will turn into actually not being affected... at which point, you will have achieved the ability to withstand attacks without being too badly hurt and, should you choose to engage, do so without sacrificing your own emotional well being.

...Dres

Taking a hysterical sexist swipe, which suggests that her experience with the superior gender may have - unsurprisingly - left Steph with a significant chip on her shoulder, isn't going to help her cause. Using a spell/grammar/style checker is.

The solution to Steph's problem, as with everyone else here who can not cope with criticism, is in her own hands.

**********Rudi**********

May I point out that I have not gainsaid the existence of poetry in many forms. On the contrary, I have offered a plethora of poetic examples involving non-verbal as well as verbal delights. In fact, my own pithy submission simply mirrored Kelley's own, using colours, poor punctuation and a lack of rhyme, but differentiating itself by augmenting the visual references with humour, an element sadly lacking - or at least unappreciated - in much pretentious writing.

That someone with a tenuous - at best - grasp of English has taken disproportionate issue with my initial light-hearted criticism is unsurprising, but puts the situation into sharp relief, wherein she has become an attention-whoring literary champion, presumably in a failing attempt to derive some credibility by association.

Sorry, Steph, you are not an editor, you are an undiscriminating bookbinder.

**********Rudi**********

OK, thanks, I will edit it off line.

ADDED: As for certain disruptive person they no longer exist. My world does not have that spite. The book will continue regardless. Thanks for the PMs of advise, it has been implemented. 

ADDED: Just to clarify, i do not hate men, only abusive ones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.