Can i use videogame files to make mesh avatars?

NoahGoldFox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No, it is a copyright violation to do that no matter what your purpose is unless you have a license giving you permission from the copyright owner.  Further it is against the TOS.  If caught you can be sued in RL court and face huge legal expenses and have to pay real and punitive damages to the copyright owner. LL may ban you from SL too.  Don't think you won't get caught.  All it takes is one person to recognize the origin of the avatar and report it to the copyright owner. You've also revealed your intention on a public forum. Is the risk worth it to you?

• Like 1

Read Linden Lab's Intellectual Property policy very carefully.  It conforms to U.S. and international laws regarding copyright.  You will notice, I hope, that it does not say anywhere that it is OK to use someone else's intellectual property if you don't sell it.  You may not copy someone else's creations without their expressed permission, even if it is for your own private use.  That is theft, punishable under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Optimum Actor wrote:

Apart from copyright issues, what about Mesh from video games made by yourself, or by yourself from gamemakers like Unity?

You can't see this "apart from copyright issues".

Who made the mesh is not relevant, who owns the rights to distribute and/or sell the meshes is all that matters.

If I make a mesh and sell it to you with all the IP rights, you can do as you please. I, as creator, cannot. If you made a videogame and you still hold the rights to that game or its contents, you are obviously free to use or sell any of it in SL.

As they all said the answer is a NO and that's a categorical imperative hence to be here you accepted the tos then you also had to do the questionary where it's clearly written that this couldn't be done. They also specify that you couldn't take a real model and sell it here with its real brand. Example if you make a Mercedes slk thwn you couldn't resell it as mercedes slk or a ducati monster and call it ducati monster.

This is the theory and we all love it as ideals.

Thrut is that SL is made by real persons in a pixel world and like in a real world criminals do the rules and then cops should learn them.

If we go together making a tour in SL I could show you there is a lot coming from nexus mod, from renderosity.Especally some Midle age RP have a lot of stuff coming from Nexus mod (skyrim and other games) readapted to sl.

Everybody could download those renderosity and nexus mod stuff but they should just use them to study how a mesh for game is done not upload it and resell it cause then it's like stealing . You need a license to do that as they said before.

About the other question thrown in the forum where was asked if it's possibile to EMULATE items   that's another thorn  twisted in the  side.

Basically Skyrim object have been uploaded in here I saw them also in sculpt version and that's a thing that good smart ones can easy do with specific programs that from meshes elaborates coats to turn into sculpts.

Also a lot of Final fantasy stuff on mp in primmies and sculpt version. was it right ?  mostly like even then it's a vioilation of copiright cos you're reselling  it with the original brand.

It also happened that a store who had a lot of Disney avtars was closed cause of a violation of copyrights, of course that was not a mesh coming from a game but just a brand violation.

Why some are allowed and others no?

1) cause maybe they've not been found out yet secondlife is a community and lindens can't be so perfect to know anything going around, so till people don't report it it's staying there)

2)cause some brands somehow also knowing it might like to get some free spam in sl see how many coca cola machines and can of coca cola you could find in world.

If you want to be a fast builder and beat the lazyness watch here :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.