Why do you hate updating?

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Specifically, scripts. Assuming this applies to you;

Why do you refuse to update things like resize scripts? Why do you continue to use hair or shoes or jewelry with hundreds of scripts in each one? Why don't you delete these scripts from the objects when you can? Why don't you try to get an updated version of said items?

Most importantly, why do you come to a sim wearing 937 scripts, then throw a temper tantrum when you're told "Wow, that's a lot of scripts. Here's how you can reduce it, so we don't ban you."

Okay, glad I got that out.

When I saw the header of this OP, I thought perhaps it should have been posted in the Lifestyles/Relationships Subform.  Updating. As in Up Dating.

Well, you know there are people who post here for which English is not their native language.

Anyway, I thought you were going to start a discussion on the pros and cons (if any) of up dating.  You know, dating someone you think is from a higher socio-economic level.  I do not know why that would be important, but people like to post all sorts of things in this forum.

I can think of all sorts of reasons why one might up date as a strategy.  What reasons could those be and of what benefit would it be?  Is it all positive?

Humm.  The mind ponders.

Many many SL resis don't understand the technicalities and correlation of scripts and lag. Neither are they interested in these things. And many more ppl wouldn't think about creators being so stupid to put resizers into every prim of a hairstyle. Also there is no easy way to see your scripts and the impact you might have on the world. A simple script counter and lag meter/alarm should be built into every viewer. Maybe just like in the lag meter but visible without having to activate it from the menu. If your scriptcount goes above a certain level a bright yellow/red blinking light shall show up on your screen. I guess this would be rather simple to do. And it would certainly make  ppl more aware and cautious.

Venus Petrov wrote:

When I saw the header of this OP, I thought perhaps it should have been posted in the Lifestyles/Relationships Subform.  Updating. As in Up Dating.

Well, you know there are people who post here for which English is not their native language.

Anyway, I thought you were going to start a discussion on the pros and cons (if any) of up dating.  You know, dating someone you think is from a higher socio-economic level.  I do not know why that would be important, but people like to post all sorts of things in this forum.

I can think of all sorts of reasons why one might up date as a strategy.  What reasons could those be and of what benefit would it be?  Is it all positive?

Humm.  The mind ponders.

I see what you did there.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Specifically, scripts. Assuming this applies to you;

Why do you refuse to update things like resize scripts? Why do you continue to use hair or shoes or jewelry with hundreds of scripts in each one? Why don't you delete these scripts from the objects when you can? Why don't you try to get an updated version of said items?

Ignorance, inertia and not wanting to spend L's.

Some consumers and creators just have no clue and don't care to get one.

Some have no idea how to remove scripts other than one prim at a time, which they consider too much work.

Some are not willing to replace something that they think is perfectly fine or there is no replacement available.

Some creators don't offer free updates.  You have to buy the item again and people don't want to spend money twice on the same thing.

Most importantly, why do you come to a sim wearing 937 scripts, then throw a temper tantrum when you're told "Wow, that's a lot of scripts. Here's how you can reduce it, so we don't ban you."

Because they spend a lot of time, effort and in some cases L's to make their avi's look good and don't want to be told they have to remove stuff.  They don't care about the sim.

A lot of those script monitors are just wrong too.  I've been on  sims where I have shut off / disabled
all
my scripts.  None are running and still get the message I'm wearing too many.  ...

Seems to be habitual of that poster. Wow, it is known that many post here where English is not their native language.

So about the scripts, BTW your post was clear regarding your question. I always make copies of hair, clothes, anything that may have a resize/recolor script and remove the scripts from the copy. It only takes a moment and I think that most people can do it if they want. It isn't hard or confusing IMO.

I think many people may be lazy or some may want to keep their inventory lower. Those are my guesses. People that wear a large amount of scripts should be banned sim because it's an easy fix so it cuts down on lag. I think as Orca mentioned, creators could be more concious too.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

A lot of those script monitors are just wrong too.  I've been on  sims where I have shut off / disabled
all
my scripts.  None are running and still get the message I'm wearing too many.  ...

There are different degrees of "wrong".

If you stop the script, it is still consuming memory because the state is saved, ready for when you set the script to running again.  Thus the memory used has a valid element.  Similarly, the count of number of scripts is still correct, even if they are NOT running.

I'm with you though, if the values aren't 100% correct then take your scanner and shove it.  The memory value is almost always wrong because the scanners can only report a mono compiled script as 64KB rather than the amount of memory actually used.  Similarly, mono scripts share memory for the code part so 40 avatars that just happen to be using 100 resize scripts which are identical will not be having the claimed impact on the sim.

The problem is that the basic script functions for retrieving this information doesn't get the full story and trying to explain it to some of these scanner creators is harder than pushing water uphill.  They just assume that the sim "knows" and it's what the sim tells their script so it MUST be right.

Few of them seem interested in reporting in processing time which is important, one bad script version 20 good ones for example.

Next up, I predict that when LL gives scripters llGetMeshDisplayWeight() we'll be right back to the ARC war days with scanners griefing people for wearing mesh with too much topology.  It doesn't happen at the moment, simply because there's no automated way to do it.

Leanisa wrote:

People that wear a large amount of scripts should be banned sim because it's an easy fix so it cuts down on lag. I think as Orca mentioned, creators could be more concious too.

Are you aware that scripts are heavily de-prioritised now and have been for a long time?

Are you aware of the impact that bad mesh (very high topology), inappropriate size and number of textures has on the effect of "lag" to the viewers of those in the same location has?  Do you habitually check for this when you're in a club and advise people?

(Not seeking to be combative or take issues with your comment, everything has some validity at some point but people are hung up on scripts when there's plenty of other crap out there that's worse).

Leanisa wrote:

Seems to be habitual of that poster. Wow, it is known that many post here where English is not their native language.

So about the scripts, BTW your post was clear regarding your question. I always make copies of hair, clothes, anything that may have a resize/recolor script and remove the scripts from the copy. It only takes a moment and I think that most people can do it if they want. It isn't hard or confusing IMO.

I think many people may be lazy or some may want to keep their inventory lower. Those are my guesses. People that wear a large amount of scripts should be banned sim because it's an easy fix so it cuts down on lag. I think as Orca mentioned, creators could be more concious too.

What is the 'habit'?

I don't recall that you have ever stated which SIMs you are a manager at but I do know where it is and because it is heavily script dependent for things to function right I understand your concern here with highly scripted Ava's.

But as far as why people don't update or upgrade it sometimes reaches the point of being ridiculous.  I'm careful about the things I use but when I start spending more time optimizing my Ava than I do enjoying what I log in to SL to enjoy it begins to get nuts.

After all isn't what we all really want is 'plug and play?'

New Users don't know about the problems with unoptimized content and sometimes us old Users just reach the point where we say, "Screw it, it's time for me to stop fussing about all this crap and to get back to just enjoying ourselves,"

One reason I have encountered is being blanked by the creator when I asked them if there was anything they could do to remove the 500 scripts in the no mod no copy expensive outfit I bought. I just put it down to a bad buy and have never bought from that store again despite their good reviews on marketplace.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.