Everything is flashing weird colors and nothing loads

Chocominty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah, this is a total pain in the ass.

I'm just using the basic viewer, and the very first time I start it up and try to get around, ALL of the hud pieces (the inventory, search, avatar, destinations, etc) keep flashing red, green, yellow, and/or red-green gradient. On top of that, I can't seem to actually USE anything. I'm using a brand new laptop here. I don't know what's going on.

Also, nothing loads correctly, and just WALKING is a nightmare. 

Anybody have any clue what to do about this?

Yeah, this is a total pain in the ass.

I'm just using the basic viewer, and the very first time I start it up and try to get around, ALL of the hud pieces (the inventory, search, avatar, destinations, etc) keep flashing red, green, yellow, and/or red-green gradient. On top of that, I can't seem to actually USE anything. I'm using a brand new laptop here. I don't know what's going on.

Also, nothing loads correctly, and just WALKING is a nightmare. 

Anybody have any clue what to do about this?

Hi, using a laptop i guess you use a wireless connection ? Try a wired ...

With technical questions please provide more details.

Open the viewer About-Info, or was it About-Help, and copy the upper part of information about your PC, Connection, Viewer in your post here. Without that all we can do is wild guessing.

You can edit your post, do not open a new one.

Monti

Monti Messmer wrote:

Hi, using a laptop i guess you use a wireless connection ? Try a wired ...

With technical questions please provide more details.

Open the viewer About-Info, or was it About-Help, and copy the upper part of information about your PC, Connection, Viewer in your post here. Without that all we can do is wild guessing.

You can edit your post, do not open a new one.

Monti

It's HELP/ABOUT   :)

And you don't have to be logged in to get the info.

But DO copy/paste ALL the info there.

Sounds like you're running a laptop with Intel graphics and Windows 8. Try updating your graphics drivers (just because it's new doesn't mean your manufacturer updates drivers on the assembly line). If that doesn't work, go to "Preferences - Graphics - Advanced" and turn off "Basic Shaders."

The walking and loading issues are a connection problem which might or might not be helped by a wired connection.

Flashing weird colours is always a sure sign of a failing/underpowered graphics chip. Doesn't matter if your lappy is brandnew, some (most) machines are just not fit to run a highly discriminating virtual world like SL. Was your lappy sold as a gaming - or at least a multimedia - laptop? If not then sorry, you're not using the correct tool for the task.

In your second post you mentioned you never used it for anything out of the range of laptop use. Sorry to inform you about this: SL is out of range for most laptops. You really have to look in the upper echelons of each manufacturer to reach satisfying results with SL.

Are you on wireless  

wireless processes packets differently than a cat 5 connection

does your lappy have an ATI graphics card  if so the last known good driver is the 12.0 series

ATI and SL seem to have a dislike for each other no idea why since it is a major manufacturer  just another LL oversite

I do run an ATI card on an old desktop system, because it is the best ever made for the AGP buss and after many hours of playing it became apparent that the old drivers work much better than the current ones even though I get the upgrade you driver message on log in

of course if you are using the onboard video on the lappy you most likely have an Intel interface that has always been lacking in performance in second lifeeee...

oh and the learn for the library in the speeeeel chack has no effect it is stupid......typical

• 2 weeks later...

Firestorm 4.4.2 (34167) Jul 1 2013 23:33:25 (Firestorm-Release) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 177,324.0, 307,575.0, 21.8 in Jujube located at sim9120.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.42.56:13009)
Second Life Server 13.09.21.281328
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile M520 (2294.16 MHz)
Memory: 5885 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit (Build 9200)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1129
OpenGL Version: 3.3.11653 Compatibility Profile Context

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0d zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 64
Bandwidth: 500
LOD factor: 1.5
Render quality: Low (1/7)
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 125/20,998 (0.6%)

Have been using this laptop with secondlife no problems for over 3 years suddenly I get constant flashing thru all viewers this started a week ago PLEASE HELP!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.