skin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So i bought this shape that came with a styling notecard wich showed the skin store LM but no full skin name  like what shade it was and owner of shape who did style card came off as annoyed when i asked about things so that was no help. Found only 2 skins that look closes to the shape picture -C- wich one looks closest -A- or -B-

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2d8mihd.jpg

thanks for any help

So i bought this shape that came with a styling notecard wich showed the skin store LM but no full skin name  like what shade it was and owner of shape who did style card came off as annoyed when i asked about things so that was no help. Found only 2 skins that look closes to the shape picture -C- wich one looks closest -A- or -B-

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2d8mihd.jpg

thanks for any help

The vendor image in the middle is a custom windlight setting that eliminates the harsh noon shadows and reflections on the avatar. It can be hard to judge the skin when the shape creator don't bother to inlude better info. It is just to copy/paste from what she is wearing into word when she writes the styling card... really a sloppy shape maker.

You use the standard SL viewer? Try "Blizzard", that windlight setting reduces the sun effect. Makes the SL sky a bit more "hazy". I would say you should pick the skin to the right. (B)

Perhaps the SHAPE creator didn't want to help - they've sold their SHAPE.

But you want a SKIN and have the name of a shop.  If I were the owner of that SKIN shop and you were a potential customer ...

(In other words - tell the people who own or work in the skin shop what look you're trying to achieve and they should do their best to help you - after all, that would generate a sale, a satisfied customer and a good reputation).

Windlight will only change how it looks to the OP not other people, and then only if she does not allow a place to automatically change her windlight settings.  Sticking to one windlight setting makes you miss out on seeing how a sim looks its best IMO, as the sim designer choose the windlight settings used on the sim to set the mood and tone of the sim and sometimes even the textures used. So you miss out on a lot.

If she wants venues as they are meant to be seen or if her priority isn't how she looks to only herself, she needs to either go with another tone, be satisfied with the way she looks in one of those two skins, or get one of the tanners for a closer match.  A good quality tanner should do the trick IMO if she wants to get as close as she can to the pic of the shape.

It is purely a personal decision that depends on if your priorities.  Of course, everyone will not see you exactly as you see yourself, regardless of how you go, because everyone sees something a little different depending on their personal set up.  Still not relying on windlight alone to make you look a certain way gives you a bit more control over that.

I ran into this problem once with a friend. I don't buy shapes, or really anything with a style card, but she does. She also tends to follow more blogs and such than I do.

I was helping her out to find a few things when she came across a couple creators who include style cards-which is a great idea-but they were soooo vague. We had a hell of a time matching them. Being that I am not a fashionista, and she's still not really there yet either, it was tricky. What was worse was when she contacted one of the creators and got some of the rudest answers I've seen to such a simple question. The nicest answer was "stop being lazy and figure it out for yourself, I included the damn card". Which although precise and quite true on all but the lazy part, just totally rubbed us both the wrong way. I think that was for part of an outfit, but to be honest I don't remember now, I'd have to ask her. We never did match that card, and in the end came to the conclusion there was either some hefty touching up or the product no longer exists. The OTHER creator, was quite kind and I guess just didn't realize how vague the card was, lol. She, or he, has since changed the style cards used to be a little less vague. I'm going to guess, as a merchant, that's a +1 on their little scorecard. Not that the cards are expected, or should be, but I'm guessing they help for a lot of folks. It serves you-the merchant making the card-as well as any you list on the card well, to cross-promote like that.

I tend to be more of a "I'll put it together myself" kind of gal-so I don't need the cards. But I know lots of people love them, and I can see why.

As for the skin OP, I'm a terrible judge because I don't think either one looks right and I believe there's some touching up going on there. I'm probably 100% wrong though. I see too many differences(mostly in the shading/details*) and I'm not sure if it's the lighting use, touchups in an external program, or my blindness. Most likely, all of the above.

*edited to clarify... where the collarbone sits, doesn't seem to match up in what I see. If all three have the same shape on, those accent areas ought to be the same, but they aren't. There is a more downward angle in that area in pic c, but a and b have the same more horizontal look. I just don't know if that's a product of the windlight, touchups, or because that's not the same skin.

Tari Landar wrote:

I ran into this problem once with a friend. I don't buy shapes, or really anything with a style card, but she does. She also tends to follow more blogs and such than I do.

I was helping her out to find a few things when she came across a couple creators who include style cards-which is a great idea-but they were soooo vague. We had a hell of a time matching them. Being that I am not a fashionista, and she's still not really there yet either, it was tricky. What was worse was when she contacted one of the creators and got some of the rudest answers I've seen to such a simple question. The nicest answer was "stop being lazy and figure it out for yourself, I included the damn card". Which although precise and quite true on all but the lazy part, just totally rubbed us both the wrong way. I think that was for part of an outfit, but to be honest I don't remember now, I'd have to ask her. We never did match that card, and in the end came to the conclusion there was either some hefty touching up or the product no longer exists. The OTHER creator, was quite kind and I guess just didn't realize how vague the card was, lol. She, or he, has since changed the style cards used to be a little less vague. I'm going to guess, as a merchant, that's a +1 on their little scorecard. Not that the cards are expected, or should be, but I'm guessing they help for a lot of folks. It serves you-the merchant making the card-as well as any you list on the card well, to cross-promote like that.

I tend to be more of a "I'll put it together myself" kind of gal-so I don't need the cards. But I know lots of people love them, and I can see why.

As for the skin OP, I'm a terrible judge because I don't think either one looks right and I believe there's some touching up going on there. I'm probably 100% wrong though. I see too many differences(mostly in the shading/details*) and I'm not sure if it's the lighting use, touchups in an external program, or my blindness. Most likely, all of the above.

*edited to clarify... where the collarbone sits, doesn't seem to match up in what I see. If all three have the same shape on, those accent areas ought to be the same, but they aren't. There is a more downward angle in that area in pic c, but a and b have the same more horizontal look. I just don't know if that's a product of the windlight, touchups, or because that's not the same skin.

I just wanted to say - would you please post this story in the "harassment and a bad review" topic, because that's exactly the type of merchant response other merchants don't want to believe exists.

THAT is why people post a review instead of going to most merchants with an issue or concern or complaint or question. That, right there. (And, of course, if it was not bought on MP they can't do that either.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.