Environmental Settings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have just come back to SL after more than a year away (thank you new computer that will actually run it acceptably). All of my old environmental presets are gone, and I'm not sure if the viewer changes since I've been away affect how all that works. I thought I'd check here to see if there's new stuff I need to know or if I can just go about downloading the Windlight presets I had before.

I'm using the official viewer on Windows 8.

Thanks!

The official viewer is very VERY limited in Windlight settings. You might consider downloading a third party viewer (Firestorm is the most popular these days but there are others). Most come with a large assortment of Windlight settings built in.

If you have your Windlight settings saved and can find them on your old computer, you can transfer them into the appropriate directory. I am still using some very old ones that I have been moving along from version to version and viewer to viewer so that isn't an issue. You can also download Windlight settings and add them to the official viewer.

Look up the Windlight wiki for some links.  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/WindLight_Settings  Mine are in there (now included in Firestorm TYVM) as well as others.

If you haven't already downloaded Firestorm, you can spruce up your standard SL viewer by downloading Berry's windlight settings and place them in the correct file of the viewer. Following the links Ms. Singh provided, I found and managed to install many more. I am sharing a link to her blog because her settings is especially good for photography and showing outfits in a pleasant light, minimizing ugliness like seams and harsh shadows. And other settings that she link to can be better for exploring. I am totally useless with technical stuff, but I managed it! :womanembarrassed:

http://strawberrysingh.com/tutorials/windlight-settings/

I can also recommend the Starlight skin for the official viewer. It does not have WL settings but gives it more custom tricks.

• Colourful - Eight new coloured themes plus two that you can customise yourself
    Versatile - Masses of extra preferences, toolbar options and an extra 'Film' menu
    Practical - Changes to various floaters/panels to make it easier to see and enjoy the world

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Skins/Starlight

Edit: I didn't see Chic Aeons post, but I can vote for her windlight settings! They are great for different places and photos in more dramatic styles. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.