What is this?!?!

Intoxicate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was in the middle of creating, when i notice that my ankles were moving in a very odd way. 

Here's the .gif  http://oi39.tinypic.com/2e4aux3.jpg

I was on a pose stand in a static pose, so my avatar was -not- moving. However, as you can see, there seems to be some kind of weird 'jiggle' business going on with the ankles. 

What is this?? Is this a LL issue or should I file a jira? 

It's acting as designed.

What you're seeing is the poorly implemented and then forgotten 'Avatar Cloth' feature of Second Life, in combination with a Pants layer that is set to length 100. I assume you're wearing some short pants (maybe shorts?) that were poorly constructed.

You can either disable the Avatar Cloth feature (in Preferences > Graphics, but note that other people will still see your ankles flapping) or wear clothing designed for use with this feature.

Thank you! I was actually creating a pants layer and had the length set to 100, so I changed it and that seems to have fixed the issue. However, the issue will present itself if I ever decide to make a pants layer that requires full length. :/ 

I agree that it was poorly implemented, whatever their intentions were. Do they ever plan on fixing it? 

The motives of Linden are unknown to the best of us - they haven't touched it in a long, long time.

Apologies then, I assumed it was a finished pair of pants. It's quite normal to see this effect while making your own. :)

You can limit it by changing the flare, wrinkle and length of the leg, but in older, previous versions of SL these changes were not visible, and many older clothes have settings that don't work with this feature.

No worries! I'm very new to creating on SL so I'm always glad to know when i've made any kind of error. :) 

What's even more weird to me, is that the movement was visible even while the wrinkles and flare sliders were set to zero (i think they're zero by default). 

Apparently this is one in a long list of bugs that LL considers to be not important atm :/

Intoxicate wrote:

No worries! I'm very new to creating on SL so I'm always glad to know when i've made any kind of error.
:)

What's even more weird to me, is that the movement was visible even while the wrinkles and flare sliders were set to zero (i think they're zero by default). 

Apparently this is one in a long list of bugs that LL considers to be not important atm
:/

I believe that "Avatar Cloth" is no longer a part of the new "Advanced Lighting Model" rendering. There's minor BAWWW about its removal but I don't imagine anyone breaking their backs putting it back in. There was also BAWWW over the fact that you can no longer set things so that Linden Trees move in the "wind." (In other words, Linden Trees once could flop around wildly as if they were in a hurricane while all other plants and objects on the same lots stood steadfast as tin soldiers.)

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

There was also BAWWW over the fact that you can no longer set things so that Linden Trees move in the "wind." (In other words, Linden Trees once could flop around wildly as if they were in a hurricane while all other plants and objects on the same lots stood steadfast as tin soldiers.)

As I recall the reason/justification for removing it was lag reduction.

I liked Linden trees.  And actually, I still do.

And I miss them waving in the wind.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

I believe that "Avatar Cloth" is no longer a part of the new "Advanced Lighting Model" rendering.

It's still in Second Life 3.6.1 (278007) Jun 27 2013.

One would assume (I would) that if it didn't work with Advanced Lighting Model then it would not be selectable when ALM is on.  But it is selectable. I haven't checked visually does it make clothes "flutter" with ALM on though.

As to whether the Lindens will ever fix the avatar, the answer is unknown.

The JIRA has a number of requests to improve the avatar. There are some for improving the layout of the polygons. Others for changing the rigging/weighting of the model. Others for allowing custom skeletons. Others for changing the animation bones to allow more control of the avatar's motions.

Some requests are new and others are several years old.

One of the Lab's main concerns is breaking old legacy content by changing the avatar. To be compatible with old content, old in this case mean stuff made and sold yesterday, there is very little they can change about the avatar. But, there are some Lindens that beleive they should try. Internally there are Lindens requesting people to put on an avatar project to figure out what can be done. MAnaagement so far has not seen the priority. There are too many other things that need to be fixed.

Some  year old+ projects like Advanced Experience Tools are slowly winding their way to completion. There are other projects like: improved HTTP Protocol communications that require 75% fewer connections to r un SL, that are in the works. Interest List changes have been in the works for months with some just starting to appear. The List changes should make things render faster, something loads of people have been complaining about and asking for.

Linden priorities are set by the Lab's perception of the number of people affected by an issue. There are just not that many people complaining about the avatar. So... don't expect a near term fix for the avatar problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.