Remove public display of character age

89xonoma89

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This need to be added as a privacy feature or something of the sort. It has become clear now that anyone under several years of age will be marked as alts.

Now onto the discussion of alts, an alt is an alternate character that you play. It is not your main character and an alt is only an alt if it actually is an alternate character and not your main.

I am tired of being called an alt, I played a year or two ago and lost my account information and the email I used for it. I can't even remotely remember the name of my other account. So I created a new one got some items and suddenly I am an alt because I am not running around with no AO and items from somewhere other than freebie galaxy. Wrong. This is my main, I do not play my on my other account because I cannot access it. Why this isn't good enough for some people, blows my mind. Why would I waste my own money on an alt character? I mean really come on now. 

So basically because I am two weeks old and I have some items I am a mischevious alt out to cause hate and distcontent.

This is why the public display of character age needs to be removed or atleast added as a privacy feature as there is nothing positive to be gained from it other than blatant discrimination and drama from other players.

89xonoma89 wrote:

This need to be added as a privacy feature or something of the sort. It has become clear now that anyone under several years of age will be marked as alts.

Now onto the discussion of alts, an alt is an alternate character that you play. It is not your main character and an alt is only an alt if it actually is an alternate character and not your main.

I am tired of being called an alt, I played a year or two ago and lost my account information and the email I used for it. I can't even remotely remember the name of my other account. So I created a new one got some items and suddenly I am an alt because I am not running around with no AO and items from somewhere other than freebie galaxy. Wrong. This is my main, I do not play my on my other account because I cannot access it. Why this isn't good enough for some people, blows my mind. Why would I waste my own money on an alt character? I mean really come on now. 

So basically because I am two weeks old and I have some items I am a mischevious alt out to cause hate and distcontent.

This is why the public display of character age needs to be removed or atleast added as a privacy feature as there is nothing positive to be gained from it other than blatant discrimination and drama from other players.

But.. You are an alt.. All alt means is alternate avatar. Stop telling people you had an older av and you have friends that helped you "look" good. Only drama llamas give a damn about alts. The rest of us don't care until you burn us somehow.

Sorry I disagree with you.  Avatar age is important when dealing with people for a number of reasons.  It tells me if I should be more tolerant of someone that hasn't been in SL long and also to explain things in detail when offering help to a newbie. 

Avatar age helps new people with merchants who are willing to give starter gifts to people but not feebies to everyone.  By being able to script an age limit they can do this.

As an employer it tells me if a person has enough SL experience to consider hiring them.

The 'trouble'' aspect is real too.  Griefers do create throw away alt accounts when they want to cause trouble.  Some people create alt accounts when they want to cheat or have a vendetta to carry out   However since you have a full profile and PIOF, I wouldn't be concerned that you are either of these things.

Bottom line is that your age in RL is public if anyone takes the time to look it up, so I don't see why it should be hidden in SL.

You've only been in SL 11 days now,  Just chill and be patient, in a few weeks no one will think twice about your avatar's appearance and apparent knowledge vs your avi's age.  In the meantime, take Drake's good advice and tell people that accuse you of these things that you had your RL BFF's help fixing up and learning the ropes. 

I'm kind of glad that people can look at my profile and see that I joined SL in 2006. It means that when I answer a newer resident's questions about SL they can be confident that I've been around long enough to have gained a bit of experience and likely know what I'm talking about. If I were a merchant I'd want my age to be visible to inspire a degree of confidence and trust; to show that I was a long term "investor" in the community and not some fly by night anonymous character out to make a quick buck and leave.

As to your feelings about getting called an alt, well, that can and does happen with older residents as well. Anyone can be accused of being an alt and age doesn't necessarily have anything to do with people drawing that conclusion (although I will grant you that age can be a major factor in some peoples' minds).

Besides, those of us who've been around a while can make pretty accurate educated guesses about a resident's age by their last name (or lack thereof) and make assumptions based on that.

In the end your proposal wouldn't have the effect you desire.

Just chalk the accusations up to ignorance (or paranoia) and ignore them. Why does it matter so much to you what some anonymous person on the internet in a virtual world thinks of you anyway? Goodness knows that if I was concerned about the assumptions people make about me because I have an anthropomorphic avatar I'd have run away crying and screaming years ago.  ;)

My question is why do you give a F**K about what other people think of you. You've been here for a while...you know what you're doing, who cares? Move on with your life and let others think about you as they wish.

How does it affect you if they think you're an ALT?

They won't talk to you? WHO CARES??

They think you don't know what you're doing, inworld? WHO CARES??

They treat you differently because they think you haven't been here that long? WHO CARES??

This is YOUR SL life....you can't let someone else affect how you're going to enjoy your time here. They bug you, mute them, leave, go on your merry way...WHO CARES??

When I was brand new, I had no trouble with SL. I've been a gamer for years, and before that, I did mechanical engineering with AutoCAD 2000, plus I've done some coding in the past, so learning LSL was easy. I took to it like I'd been in SL for years, and I didn't mind dropping cash to buy L$ and buy AOs and things right off the bat.

So, people immediately called me an alt. I told 'em to STFU and ignored 'em. Problem solved.

Gadget Portal wrote:

When I was brand new, I had no trouble with SL. I've been a gamer for years, and before that, I did mechanical engineering with AutoCAD 2000, plus I've done some coding in the past, so learning LSL was easy. I took to it like I'd been in SL for years, and I didn't mind dropping cash to buy L$ and buy AOs and things right off the bat.

So, people immediately called me an alt. I told 'em to STFU and ignored 'em. Problem solved.

same here "you know too much to be new to this thing, so you must be an alt". And then there's the "you're having a 'Resident' name, therefore you're an alt" or the alternate "you've a Resident name, therefore you're an idiot".

Just ignore the alt haters out there who react like that, and your second life will be a lot nicer.

Send me an im in game and I'll give you an invite to my "me, myself, and alt" group :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.