gumboy130 Texan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,4 or 5 years ago i made this account,back then i was like 15 or 16 years old and i named my avatar gumboy130....and i started recently to play again SL and realized this is an idiotic avatar name in a rp world...it's any way i can change my avatar name?thank you

No, you can't. You could create a new account, if you don't mind dispensing with whatever history and inventory Gumboy has. But two things:

1) I myself don't quite see why  'Gumboy' is a particularly idiotic name, rp or not. Must be a local thing (I'm not a native English speaker), but I honestly see nothing wrong with it. I've seen people with far more, um, peculiar names, standing proudly by them :smileywink:

2) You have the option to change your display name to whatever you want (even already 'taken' names, since these need not be unique, like old account / usernames do)... and in fact, change it again a week later if you're still not fully pleased, and again a week later and so on. And since display names are indeed publicly seen, most people will choose to call you by them, instead of your username.

No. There's no way to change your avatar name.

You can change your display name in some viewers, but that name is shown above your actual avatar name.

Unless you create a new account you'll forever be known as gumboy130 Texan.

gumboy130 Texan wrote:

Hello,4 or 5 years ago i made this account,back then i was like 15 or 16 years old and i named my avatar gumboy130....and i started recently to play again SL and realized this is an idiotic avatar name in a rp world...it's any way i can change my avatar name?thank you

I sure wouldn't worry too much about your name.  Especially considering a lot of the names I've been seeing pop up recently.

"BananaGirlWhoWillSplitForYou" and "PeanutButterCauseISpread" were definetly hoots.

ok, I made those up but................. ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

gumboy130 Texan wrote:

I sure wouldn't worry too much about your name.  Especially considering a lot of the names I've been seeing pop up recently.

"BananaGirlWhoWillSplitForYou" and "PeanutButterCauseISpread" were definetly hoots.

ok, I made those up but.................
;)

Those are awesome names and I sincerly hope to see them inworld someday. lol

Perrie Juran wrote:

;)

But...you're not too far from the truth. Just for fun, searched "Banana" under names

Monkeyeatingabanana

HannaBanana

BananaManMahanahan

All of a sudden Gumbyboy doesn't sound so silly, does it????

Tex Monday wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

;)

But...you're not too far from the truth. Just for fun, searched "Banana" under names

Monkeyeatingabanana

HannaBanana

BananaManMahanahan

All of a sudden Gumbyboy doesn't sound so silly, does it????

Shirley, Shirley bo Birley Banana fanna fo Firley
Fee fy mo Mirley, Shirley!

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago LL introduced something called "display names", these were intended to replace avatar names.

However, since LL doesn't understand human behaviour, they implemented this great feature in the worst way possible.

Basically, edit your profile. Among the profile options is a "display name" option. Type in a new name, and there you go. New name for your avatar.

Unfortunately, LL chooses to display both username and display name in avatar nametags by default, so people will still see your original name over your head at all times. Some of the better TPVs change this, because it's really unnecessary to have two names floating over everyone's heads. So they only display the display name.

Now, even if you choose not to display usernames, usernames remain visible in profiles, inventory/money transactions and any other situation where you'd want to make sure you were dealing with the correct person. This is because display names can be set to pretty much anything within the character limit. Even if the chosen name already exists.

The only exception is that you cannot use the name "Linden" anywhere in your display name.

Most people will go by your display name if you have one set. 

LL has now introduced a new feature regarding displaynames, whereby your displayname cycles - without any involvement by you - through the list of displaynames you have used historically, selecting old displaynames at random and without informing you of the change unless you check your Profile Feed, then sneakily reverting to your current one when you go to check. Those embarrassing one-off changes that you used to call yourself your current honey's private and personal name - yes, I'm talking about you, CuddlyBalls - will come back to haunt you, perhaps to your present partner's discomfiture, but hell, it's only a game, isn't it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.