Duplicate Listing Spam

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today I tried to find mesh gloves. Let's ignore the part that it's part of a category, so I get hundreds of hats and scarves with my search. I removed those, but in the process removed some potential hits, too. But let's ignore that.

After about 15 pages of the same three items, I wondered if these creators shouldn't be flagged for duplicate listings.

It's the same pair of gloves 50 times in 50 different colors, all by the same creator, all No Mod.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Today I tried to find mesh gloves. Let's ignore the part that it's part of a category, so I get hundreds of hats and scarves with my search. I removed those, but in the process removed some potential hits, too. But let's ignore that.

After about 15 pages of the same three items, I wondered if these creators shouldn't be flagged for duplicate listings.

It's the same pair of gloves 50 times in 50 different colors, all by the same creator, all No Mod.

If they're different colors, ll sees them as different products. They won't see it as spam at all. It's annoying as hell and I really wish they'd just link all color options to one listing already. I don't doubt they know how, or have the ability I guess I should say.

It is annoying but its the only way to sell an item in multiple colors or variations.  I'm sure LL could link demo's and variants together in one listing somehow, but the thought of what would happen to the MP if they did makes me shudder, based on past recent history of how they have implemented 'improvements'.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

It is annoying but its the only way to sell an item in multiple colors or variations.  I'm sure LL could link demo's and variants together in one listing somehow, but the thought of what would happen to the MP if they did makes me shudder, based on past recent history of how they have implemented 'improvements'.

Agreed.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Being able to list one item that shows all color availabilities within it has been a feature asked for by merchants as far back as the old forums.  Any item that is sold in multiple colors (I see this a lot in the type of gowns I purchase) is considered a separate listing by the MP.  I agree it's annoying and would love to see a feature added to show all colors in one listing.

I have to add... I think merchants that make 50 of the same product in 50 colors should HAVE to use an in-world store and not clutter up the marketplace with that junk.

It's the same product over and over again. It doesn't deserve separate listings. You want to offer separate colors? Make it mod. Or add a HUD. Or do both. Otherwise, you're just being greedy and you should have to pay the tier to host the prims.

Gadget Portal wrote:

It's the same product over and over again. It doesn't deserve separate listings. You want to offer separate colors? Make it mod. Or add a HUD. Or do both.
Otherwise, you're just being greedy and you should have to pay the tier to host the prims.

(Bolding mine)

Geeezzz, Gadget.

BTW, I got a new PC in case you hadn't noticed.  :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Gadget Portal wrote:

I have to add... I think merchants that make 50 of the same product in 50 colors should HAVE to use an in-world store and not clutter up the marketplace with that junk.

It's the same product over and over again. It doesn't deserve separate listings. You want to offer separate colors? Make it mod. Or add a HUD. Or do both. Otherwise, you're just being greedy and you should have to pay the tier to host the prims.

I understand the utter frustration, believe me. I hate that to offer multiple colors, or styles of something, we have to have individual listings. It would be great to have them all linked together in ONE listing with some kind of indicator on the listing that it's available in multiple colors. But, alas, the commerce team doesn't give a **bleep**. They're busy working on things that require breaking something else in order to function. Or just flat out not listening-their specialty.

I used to have an inworld store. I'll eventually have it again, but now is not the right time for that. It kinda sucks. I don't sell stuff to make money for rl, anymore. Eventually I'd like to go back to that, though. Anything I make now, stays in the sl economy and just goes right back into the pockets of ll and other residents. I only have a few things I sell that come in multiple colors or styles. One of them I used to only have two, and a link in the listing to right where that product was inworld so they could see the other options available. It was nice, when I could afford land, lol. But, I'm pretty small potatoes and even the things have sold with multiple colors or options, I keep to minimum(10 and under). I don't offer 20. 30, 50+ different options. I think that's a bit nuts for the MP, considering how crappy it runs sometimes.

A lot of the things I come across that come in a lot of different options, those people do have an inworld store too. So I'm not sure that kind of requirement would stop them. Might stop some, or at least make some think twice about having that many different options. The stuff I do make that has more than 10 or so color options are scripted to allow those changes by the owner. I did that purely out of being too lazy to create a million listings, lol. Sure it's convenient for people, but to be honest I was thinking of my own convenience at the time, knowing full well the MP is a **bleep** sometimes.

Gadget Portal wrote:

I understand that it is really annoying...but I would not blame the merchant for this. they are entitled to sell separate colors in the marketplace (as probably they do in their in-world stores). Is not "duplicate listing spam" since they are different colors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.