Avi Extinction

Melian Catronis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a question about being offworld. I am currently without a computer of my own and can only access the forums from the public library. Will my accessing the forms/account dashboard only prevent my avi's extinction, or must I log in inworld occasionally to save myself? How long do I have to keep from going extinct?

Hi Melian,

If you are a Basic member of SL, your avatar will never go extinct (unless SL ever becomes extinct itself that is). Linden Lab will not cancel your account just because you don't log inworld. Same goes if you are a Premium member as long as you keep paying the fees. If your Premium account fees fall into arrears and are not cleared by agreement with Linden Lab, it can and will cancel your account.

So, don't worry about your account being cancelled if you're not able to go inworld, it won't be. Residents have returned after years away from SL and their accounts are still there for them.

The only way your avi would die is when/if the corporation managing Second Life (Linden Research Inc) has a financial meltdown, a bankrupty or some type of other catastrophic collapse involving the company (i.e. fire, solar flare, massive data loss, etc). That would instantly create a E.L.E. (extinction level event) in our virtual world where all avis would die.

:catsad:

Other than that you and your avi are 100% safe so don't worry about it so much :catvery-happy:

While this isn't an answer to your question, which has already been answered, it may be useful.  There is an Android client, Lumiya, and there is an iOS client, Pocket Metaverse.  Neither provides an experience comparable to using a viewer on a PC, but you can get inworld.

SL clients work fine when installed on a flash drive; I run my viewers exclusively from a flash drive so I can use different computers.  This might be a solution for you.  How well it would work would depend on how tightly the library computers were locked down.  If you can write to the Users\Username\Appdata\Roaming and Users\Username\Appdata\Local folders, then it should work fine.  I have a batch file that copies the SL data files from the flash drive to the required locations on the hard drive before running the client and moves them back when I'm done.  If you want it, I will be happy to share it.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

While this isn't an answer to your question, which has already been answered, it may be useful.  There is an Android client, 
, and there is an iOS client,
.  Neither provides an experience comparable to using a viewer on a PC, but you can get inworld.

If it helps any, I've used Pocket Metaverse and it's not too bad. You can't really go anywhere but it does give you the ability to chat with friends...and sometimes, that's all I do anyway when I'm inworld.

One of the previous posters already said it. Linden Lab will keep a free account indefinatly and a premium account as long as you pay the fee and tiers for land use if you own land.

If you are a premium member and fail to pay, they are harsh however. I know ppl who had issues with their credit card or with the registration of that credit card at Linden Lab and they did not get acces to their main, despite long explenations to Linden Lab why the credit card did not work on Second Life or proof that credit was good and the new card valid. In that case, no way to recuperate an avi, even if you decide to abandon the premium status.

Uallas Borgin wrote:

One of the previous posters already said it. Linden Lab will keep a free account indefinatly and a premium account as long as you pay the fee and tiers for land use if you own land.

If you are a premium member and fail to pay, they are harsh however. I know ppl who had issues with their credit card or with the registration of that credit card at Linden Lab and they did not get acces to their main, despite long explenations to Linden Lab why the credit card did not work on Second Life or proof that credit was good and the new card valid.
In that case, no way to recuperate an avi, even if you decide to abandon the premium status.

That isn't necessarilly true. If you don't pay your tier, you can get your AV back once you pay..but it's a pain to do so..

per the knowledge base:

Re-activating a canceled account

If you have cancelled your account, you may be able to restore it, depending on how long ago it was cancelled. There is a US$9.95 reactivation fee for restoring an account.

32px-KBwarning.png Warning: Even if your account is restored, the associated inventory, land, and Linden dollar balance may be unrecoverable.

To start the process:

1. Open a support case.
  2. Under What type of problem are you having? choose Account Issue.
  3. Choose Reactivate an old account.
  4. Enter the required information
  5. Click Submit.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a premium account that I let lapse and was no longer accessible.  So I created a free account.  Later, I contacted support and about my original, premium account and it was restored ruthed with no inventory.  The free account has always been available with no issues, despite long lapses between log ins.

Moral to this story:  Never go premium. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.