Jog My Memory Please - Rezzing inside a house

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have some houses and skyboxes that I cannot rez items in and some that I can. Different makers as you might guess. I am sure this has been talked about here before but I can't remember. I may (may) tackle another house soon and I would definitely like to be able to rez inside the house.

It isn't a walking inside the house issue, I understand that -- just a dragging things out from inventory problem. You seem to be able to build freshly inside the houses.  And if I rez a sculpt rug I can THEN rez on the rug -- at least in one of them. There could be several different issues at work. 

Thanks in advance.

In some mesh and sculpty houses it's a bounding box issue.  Trying to rez something inside the large bounding box of another object can be tricky.  I've seen several houses where you have to rez furniture outside and then drag it in.

My experience is you can't rezz on objects set to "convex hull", but you can rezz on objects set to "prim" for a physical shape. No idea if this is what causing your issue. If it is, you could either ask the creator to change this or set the floor to "none" and use an invisible prim as physical shape.

It often takes me several tries lately to rez anything anywhere, mesh or not. Pointing the camera straight down at my feet sometimes helps, sometimes not. One of the many irritations I just figure I have to live with.

And then other times, no problem at all. It's like a switch gets flipped.

OK. Thanks guys. I do know the invisible prim trick and this is an ongoing (for several months) with several builds so not just an old SL issue :D.  My question was mostly about what "I" needed to be aware of. Know this has been talked about, I just can't remember.

The current builds I have out there use regular prims for the floor which solves this issue. Just trying to figure out a "better" way as there apparently is one. Some places work perfectly all the time. It isn't an "inside the house" issue wholly as I just bought an outside structure with a deck and you can't rez on that either. HMMMMMM.  

I just looked at five different builds.

skybox that always works perfectly - prim (floor separate prim)

house that works fine - prim (the floor is not separate b ut part of an empty "cube" that forms two walls, floor and ceiling)

house that doesn't let me rez  - prim (floor separate prim)

house that doesn't let me rez - convex hull (floor separate prim)

deck that doesn't let me rez - none (now that one I get :D)

So four out of five, assuming all builds are (mainly) mesh... it looks like the big offender then, but not the only one.

Any phantom boxes in that third build by any chance? or maybe even five out of five if the "prim" floor you found is covered by another object set to convex hull?

Nothing sitting on top of the floors I checked. I clicked in the middle of the floor where I would rez using edit parts.  So assumably that would check the prim that items would or wouldn't rez on. 

I guess should I delve back into buildings again I will stick with making my floor a good old fashioned prim. That seems to be the best plan. When I did it the "right way" everything was fine for a week or so and then my carefully built floor seemed to forget that I had told it  the better location for its top to be (hence actually standing on the floor when your offset was at zero (not an option any longer anyway).

Maybe some day things will be stable and work longer than a little while. At the moment I am floating above floors most of the time while land is OK. Not good for photos or filming. But some improvements in other areas soon. We can keep our fingers crossed on that. :D

Hmm, the hovering above floors (again my personal experience) always happens on convex hulls and never on triangular based surfaces.

One thing crossed my mind about the "not being able to rezz on a triangular based floor", maybe the normals are facing the wrong way. As I understand it, that shouldn't make a difference in Havoc, but in some cases it does anyway. Maybe this can also cause rezzing failures.

At least there's always that good old SL prim as a workaround.

• 2 years later...

Not sure what the issue really is, but what happened to me is, that objects I rezzed inside a mesh house simply disappeared. They weren't where I rezzed them and they weren't in my inventory. Only after a relog they reappeared in the inventory.
What I do is rezzing them outside the house and dragging them in, works. Strange issue though, but not lethal.

This is kind of an ancient thread at this point, but the issue is still the same. If you try to rez an object on a mesh surface that has a physics shape that is wildly different from its visible appearance, the servers don;t know what to do.  So they simply refuse to rez your object. If it's a no-copy object, there's a good chance that your object will be in limbo until your inventory cache is updated -- usually the next time that you log in.  

A good builder will link the mesh structure to a prim, let that prim be the root of the linkset, and set the mesh building to physics type NONE. Adding a few collision prims to give the house solid collision surfaces does increase its L.I., but it's a small price to pay for making it possible to rez objects indoors and sit on selected parts of the structure.

Rolig Loon wrote:

A good builder will link the mesh structure to a prim, let that prim be the root of the linkset, and set the mesh building to physics type NONE.

Ummm, I'd say a good builder will know how to make mesh with proper physics and won't need to use that kind of workarounds.

As you said earlier in your post, it's only mesh with faulty physics that cause this issue. Correctly made mesh causes no such rezzing problems at all.

(Edit: when I wrote "good builder" I meant good mesh builder of course. There are great builders who create wodner with prims and/or sculpts without knowing anything about mesh or mesh physics at all.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.