Custom texture on a no mod object?

Yuriko Nishi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi :)

i want to allow customers to use their own textures on a no mod vehicle, or allow a 3rd party texture artist to change the texture on that no mod object, not owned by the artist.

but i don´t really have any good ideas how to do that.

any help, even a simple idea without code examples would be really apreciated :)

allthough code would be great ;)

thanks in advance

edit: changing textures with a script is not the issue, just wonder about the communication, and how to let the script know what texture to use. how to format the message and the listener

Create a "paint can' with a notecard inside that they can put the UUID of thier textures on and that has a script that communicates the UUID's with another one in the car telling it which of the textures to put where.  You can have the config card set up so they know which texture to put on which line.

Example

hood=

fender=

roof=

driver door=

• Like 2

It seems you're going in a happy direction and I don't want to confuse things, but just for completeness, another option might be llAllowInventoryDrop(). Off the top of my head, that's the only practical way I know for the end-user to use their own textures on a no-mod object, but it's probably overkill if the custom textures will only ever come from select suppliers.

[ETA: Well, you certainly could instruct end-users to populate texture UUIDs into the paintcans, same as the custom texture artists would do, but I doubt that's really practical for the typical end-user.  One other, very unlikely consideration: If the user wants to paint with textures for which they can't get the UUID -- no-transfer, for example -- they'd need to be able to put the texture into the object's inventory in order to use it, in which case the -InventoryDrop() approach could still work. In practice, however, hardly anybody supplies no-transfer textures because they're such a tremendous pain to use.]

Well, makes sense for a logo, for full texturing one needs edit permissions.

If it's just a logo or something similar you need to let the owner activate a listener that will listen for a uuid for a short while.

The owner can right click on the texture in their inventory and get the uuid. Then paste it into chat and say it. That's not too hard to do for end users.

• 2 weeks later...

add a script so they can change its texture to the uuid the specify in local chat maybe? i have a bass cannon, that is no mod and it lets you change the sound with a command in chat using the sound uuid... could this be applyed the same way sept with textures?

That's close to what Qie suggested in the response that is two above yours in this thread.  It doesn't matter how the new UUID is fed to the object.  If you write a script to receive it, you can change the texture from a notecard, from chat, from an e-mail message, from a link_message ......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.