Make sims cheaper

00stevey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's no way it costs $295 a month, if it does then linden labs you gotta find a new internet service provider and electric company 

It's not like we get some huge world a sim is really small I just don't get it it's not like we're running supercomputer grains of sand calculations or anything 

No lindens come here so you are preaching to the choir.  What you have said has been said a thousand times before by a thousand residents every year since private sims became available, to no avail.

Of course it doesn't cost LL $295 a month for a server.  But LL is a privately held for profit business that is never going to charge you just their cost.  They will charge as much as they think they can get away with.  You can always download open grid software and run your own grid.  There are others out there too that charge far less for a sim with far more prims available.  Howeer even the best of them can't hold a candle to the experiences you have in SL  If they could there would be a mass migration there.

It hink the issue is how much space a sim takes up on the server and still have it functioning well (including a lot of avies are on it). Since SL is so crowded they have to account for several avies on it thus it costing more to run as you can have less sims on a server. The reason opensim sims are cheaper is because there not accounting for a large number of avies ont he sim as those avies simply don't exist. If they did I think realistically they'd have to charge more. But you know the more things you have on your server the more people you can charge there for the less each customer pays indiviually.

Yeah but the mechanics for this game are so simple, it's havok physics and scripts just like every other game ever that doesn't cost a fortune to play. Plus when it comes down to it, the game still lags anyway. They'd make more money charging less because so many more people would get sims. I'm so annoyed with this damn company I wish they'd just go bankrupt already so somebody would finally make something better.

Anyway yeah you're right they're not gonna read this and they don't care, I know that. I'm just putting it out there I'd gladly buy a sim or two or three if they were realistically priced and I can't be alone on that. I used to have one but seriously I don't care how much money I make even if I was a billionaire $295 a month is just stupid considering the game is just a demonstration in how to have a laggy game that isn't even actaully a game. I'm so pissed off at these idiots first they make our avatars get stuck in the ground when sitting a few years ago and instead of fixing that (and adding actual gameplay) they come out with mesh so now all our clothes don't fit right and we're covered in little invisible blotches UGH. I wish I knew this was where this game would be when I started in 2005 I coulda invested in ANYTHING else and be better off!

00stevey wrote:

Yeah but the mechanics for this
game
are so simple, it's havok physics and scripts just like every other
game
ever that doesn't cost a fortune to play. Plus when it comes down to it, the
game
still lags anyway. They'd make more money charging less because so many more people would get sims. I'm so annoyed with this damn company I wish they'd just go bankrupt already so somebody would finally make something better.

Anyway yeah you're right they're not gonna read this and they don't care, I know that. I'm just putting it out there I'd gladly buy a sim or two or three if they were realistically priced and I can't be alone on that. I used to have one but seriously I don't care how much money I make even if I was a billionaire $295 a month is just stupid considering the
game
is just a demonstration in how to have a laggy
game
that isn't even actaully a
game
. I'm so pissed off at these idiots first they make our avatars get stuck in the ground when sitting a few years ago and instead of fixing that (and adding actual
gameplay
) they come out with mesh so now all our clothes don't fit right and we're covered in little invisible blotches UGH. I wish I knew this was where this
game
would be when I started in 2005 I coulda invested in ANYTHING else and be better off!

/me whispers: it's not a game.  Name one "game" that allows user content like SL does.

00stevey wrote:

btw this guy's a helper, textbook example of linden staff :womanmad:

Oh, I wish I was a Linden, but alas... no. I just thought I'd sit back and enjoy some popcorn while reading replies to the umpteenth post about how LL should "make sims cheaper", as if they would (or should) rent server space to you or anyone else at cost.. If they did, SL would in all likelihood cease to exist.

00stevey wrote:

Getting the title of "Helper" is an automated function of this silly forum software.  Answer "x" number of questions and it promotes you to "helper."  You don't even have to give correct answers to get it.  Just get busy answering!

00stevey wrote:

Yeah but the mechanics for this game are so simple, it's havok physics and scripts just like every other game ever that doesn't cost a fortune to play. Plus when it comes down to it, the game still lags anyway. They'd make more money charging less because so many more people would get sims. I'm so annoyed with this damn company I wish they'd just go bankrupt already so somebody would finally make something better.

Why would someone need to wait for LL to go bankrupt before they made something better?  If LL is gouging us as bad as you infer, then it should be no problem for someone to step in and undersell LL.

Oh, and for the record I am just a lowly "Member."

Linden Lab doesn't seem to like Martians.

Perrie Juran wrote:

00stevey wrote:

Getting the title of "Helper" is an automated function of this silly forum software.  Answer "x" number of questions and it promotes you to "helper."  You don't even have to give correct answers to get it.  Just get busy answering!

00stevey wrote:

Why would someone need to wait for LL to go bankrupt before they made something better?  If LL is gouging us as bad as you infer, then it should be no problem for someone to step in and undersell LL.

Oh, and for the record I am just a lowly "Member."

Linden Lab doesn't seem to like Martians.

even better, it's supposedly "very easy", so one has to wonder why OP is still here and hasn't already set up that megasuccessful competitor that's draining the SL grid of a million users a day.

Ok, especially for you:
From the last financial report I have seen, about 10% of the sales volume is profit.
And the main revenue stream for the Lab is land tier.

In other words: Reduce tier by a significant amount and the Lab goes full into red.
And you don't want that, as it would kill SL rather fast.

If you want to pay less, check out the offers at the big landbarons, e.g. the Anshe Chung empire.
There you can have a homestead without setup fees and without the need to get a full estate first.

And then there is still the mainland...

Perrie Juran wrote:

00stevey wrote:

Getting the title of "Helper" is an automated function of this silly forum software. 
Answer "x" number of questions and it promotes you to "helper."  You don't even have to give correct answers to get it. 
Just get busy answering!

Umm..well, no.  It is a tad more than flinging down just any answer.  That is probably why you are not 'red' yet.  Get cracking Martin.
:|

Venus Petrov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

00stevey wrote:

Getting the title of "Helper" is an automated function of this silly forum software. 
Answer "x" number of questions and it promotes you to "helper."  You don't even have to give correct answers to get it. 
Just get busy answering!

Umm..well, no.  It is a tad more than flinging down just any answer.  That is probably why you are not 'red' yet.  Get cracking Martin.
:|

How do I change in rank and permissions?

It will be a natural progression based on community participation. Here are some of the general criteria used in the formula that automatically determines ranks/roles.   (my emphasis)

1. Active participation in various areas including but not limited to: kudos, contributions that include appropriate posting, and accepted solutions
  2. Accepted Solutions

You may notice that your rank has changed on your profile or on your messages. When that happens, look for additional permissions under the My Settings and under the options menu on your posts.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/ranksroles#ranksroles

Whilst it is true somebody needs to accept your answers and/or give you kudos that does not in and of itself guarantee the answer was correct.  I very very rarely look at the Answers section much less post there. 

I may need to take a vacation from the Forums section for a bit so I can focus on Answers and earn my rank.  I've been stuck as a lowly member too long and have tired of being falsely accused of being a Shill for Linden Lab.  ;)

Usually those that provide kudos, in addition to sometimes the original questioner, are themselves also answerers and know if the answer being kudo'ed works.  Given your own admission that you rarely look there, much less post there, I understand how you might be unaware of the 'culture' in the Answers Forum.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.