Common problems with MESH avatars

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just general research.

I'm interested in hearing what are the most common problems people have with mesh avatars. I can name three very obvious ones:

*Unable to wear system clothing/normal skins

*Alpha layers won't work

*Can't always find the right clothing size from shops.

But what else? Also interested to know about glitches that happen in SL with mesh avatars.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!! ^.^

true but I've found the defulat avies don't emote that well anyway. There facial emotes seem akward at best ergo unusable for photos mostly in my opinion.

Not all mesh avies can't change skin. Avie 2.0 and rikogou can change skin since the creator provides the textures so you can mod them. I've personally modded rikgou to be a neko. which was fun.:) And you can change sliders a little bit to make your avies shape thicker (or wider however you want to say) and taller and shorter so shape chan change a little.

also to the alpha issue. Some mesh avies have parts that can go invisible. So they do have the ability to use there own alpha sysstem though it is limited. I'm not going to say that mesh avies are the end all be all. But there not QUITE as bad as people tend to sayt ehy are.

sculpties have far higher server impact than their 1PE count indicates. They can be incredibly laggy.

But in order to prevent half the sims in SL getting returned when true PE is indicated for them (which could be as much as >100 for a single sculpt now counted as 1), LL can't change that now.

and no, clothing layers can't work with mesh, ever, as they modify the SL mesh itself, which is hidden by a mesh avatar. There's no way around that, it's the way things work.

Very very interesting insight from everyone. Thank you.

I didn't know that sometimes designers provided a full perm skin texture so that onsumers could change things. As for the alphas, really no way to go around it; I suppose they can provide you with a series of standard alphas to choose from depending on what you're wearing but it won't over all needs.

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

laggy? I've found them to be the same lag wise as any other avatar. Especially if you delete scrips fromt hem. Infact I find sculpties laggier then mesh in general. And trust me I've tested this theory out on some of the worst internet....College interent.
:/

Edit for spelling

Your mileage may vary.

The thing about mesh content is that it can either be far more efficient than prim/sculpt content, or it can be excessively worse than sculpt/mesh content.

Well made sculpt content should reduce lag considerably. Mesh allows us to be more efficient with our use of both polygons and textures.

However, in determining the land impact cost of mesh, LL counts polygons and physics impact, but they entirely left out texture impact. Which is insane, because textures are probably the single biggest source of SL's performance issues. Anything from buildings to mesh heads can be guilty of using excessive amounts of textures, which creates a lot of lag.

In addition, avatar attachments are effectively under no resource cost limit, so you can go crazy with both polygons and textures, creating mesh content that will cause framerates to grind to a halt. A good example of these are those animated mesh "pets" that people wear as attachments. A single such pet often has a land impact in the thousands. This is due to the animation being faked by using multiple models as "frames" in an animation, as LL neglected to give us actual animation features.

Again, mesh isn't intrsinically "laggy", and even provides us the ability to reduce lag, it's just that not everyone uses it well.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

RiiCassidy wrote:

And mesh heads are just
god damn
beautiful, well atleast the ones i see on flickr.

Ah, the power of photoshop to fool the consumer...

not really depends on the mesh head. The one from snow rabbit actually is amazing looking. No photohsop needed. Infact all her pics on flicker are EXACTLY like what it looks like in world.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I just purchased Starr's Pin up complete avatar today 21.1.15, which I'm very happy about BUT there is a big problem. When I remove the pin up dress bottom, a patch of the bottom remains over the crotch area. I've tried everything to get rid of this but I cannot remove it, making the avatar unusable. Can you please help ASAP. Many thanks, RedStaar.

RedStaar wrote:

Hi, I just purchased Starr's Pin up complete avatar today 21.1.15, which I'm very happy about BUT there is a big problem. When I remove the pin up dress bottom, a patch of the bottom remains over the crotch area. I've tried everything to get rid of this but I cannot remove it, making the avatar unusable. Can you please help ASAP. Many thanks, RedStaar.

I am not sure the avatar is mesh is it?

I suspect what you are seeing  is a dress prim that extends the texture on the body a little to make it look more like a dress. You will need to look for that attachment and remove it.

Have you contacted the creator and got the problem fixed?, I note your review of it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.