Convicted Over Theft Of Virtual Money

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3984 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Solar Legion wrote:

It's not an "argument" - it's a reflection of reality.

As far as putting a value on human life .... you're not supposed to place that sort of value on it.
That's a whole other kettle of fish.

Maybe so, but does a kettle of fish have any real value? That's assuming you can get the fish into the kettle in the first place, of course.

Sabean Pagan wrote:

Either way, much as I sympathise with her (I used to play Mafia Wars and lost a LOT of inventory which pretty much ruined my game character) this could set a silly precedent.

Precidents are set when a superior court (the Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court) decides on a point of law.   Swansea Magistrates cannot, I think, set precedents binding on anyone else.  

In any event, what "precedent," silly or otherwise, do you say could be set by the following circumstances?

Belmont, of Swansea, admitted an offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990 of gaining unauthorised access to a computer and making unauthorised modifications to computer material

If it had been L$, however, I am pretty sure that he could have been charged with theft (or possibly fraud), at least in England, since L$ have a pecuniary value.   That is, while obviously they aren't money, they clearly have a monetary value in that they can be traded for cash or for virtual goods (i.e. a licence to use someone else's IP) what would otherwise cost cash to buy in the Marketplace.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3984 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.