Pepita Rentals gone?

Stina Edman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I logged in today I had been kicked out of the group and the skybox was gone. It was done by a bot. Has the owners account been captured or is this something they have done themselves? I have paid rent in advance. How do I get Linden Lab to investigate this?

Stina

You don`t

To save you the drama, if the owner does not respond, they packed up and ran away
There is no way to get your money back and neither for other tenants

Take your losses and move on befor you might read some more "extensive" posts that will fuel your rage :)
It`s the **bleep**tiest position to be in and i`m sorry it happend to you, but it`s the cold truth in a nutshell :(

If you were on a private estate and the region is no longer on the map, you can send in a support ticket to LL, and they can restart the region temporarily so you can get your stuff. Beyond that, they can't help you get your unused rent back.

Renting from other residents is a risky proposition, even long term operations with seemingly good reputations sometimes vanish without notice. Keep your eyes open and your rental periods brief.

I've logged in today and the same thing happened to me.  I believe I got all my items returned, but like you, I'd paid my rent well in advance (and it wasn't cheap).

Perhaps I'm just a noob being naive, but this landlord had been so good to me in the past, so I'm really surprised and disappointed.  I've rented from them for many months and the two times I had issues, he helped me immediately.

His partner has an interesting (cryptic) message on her profile.  I'm guessing they split in RL (who knows) and with as many rentals as they had, if that is the case, it likely affected their business.  Obviously some warning would have been nice so we didn't have to feel robbed.

I own Maven Rentals and I had a few people come to rent from me that said a similar thing had happened to them. Logged on and house gone and no money or explanation. I heard from one person that husband and wife were splitting and leaving sl for good. I went to the rental office which was still there and saw the owner and IM'd him offering to help him relocate some of his tenants since we happen to share similar rental houses and I would do it at a cheaper cost rather than him refund everybody if the tenant was willing but I got no reply at all. I just thought I could help him and the tenants but I guess not. I know RL things happen but I couldnt imagine ever in a million years just leaving people hanging like that. Good luck to everybody that was left like that and if you need a place IM me your situation and I'll see what I can do for you.

I own Dreamcatcher Home Rentals and I've had residents coming to me saying the same thing about this rental company. I offered them a discounted rent for the time they had paid ahead and was able to rehome them.  It's sad, I always hate to see stuff like this but it happens. You would think they at least would have given the tenants some fore warning.  Sure makes the rest of us look bad :matte-motes-sour:

<Sarcasm>

I don't own any rental company. I had people coming to me and telling the same story. I got their last penny in advance but didn't offer them anything in return. 

</Sarcasm>

On a serious note: Opt to make weekly payments if the land size you are renting is above a certain level. Then even if you lose one weeks rent you can just get another place very soon and keep on going. There is always this risk of losing money, and limiting your losses to one weeks rent is always better than losing the months of rent at once and not being able to afford a new place.

I hope it works out for you

In that regards every thing in sl is a risk, from bogus merchants, failing deliveries, dissapearing transactions etc etc

I see people come and go, don`t pay to much tier upfront that your uncomfortable with, but what i do see is that people are paying their tiers almost at the last moment

So to all residents on the grid:
Pay your tiers atleast 1 to 2 days befor expiring date, if something happens and you can not make it back on time, you might lose your land because you were playing it too safe
Some land lord might even be more jumpy when it`s about to run out and evict you as it fits their (online)schedule better and play with the time zone difference as excuse

Don`t risk your land  for the few lindens extra to pay 1 more day in advance :)

well said. I try to keep the land I rent prepaid for at least 2-3 weeks at all times for precisely that reason (and right now it's prepaid for over a month).
Get to know the people involved if possible, talk to existing renters and get their experiences.

And READ and UNDERSTAND the durn covenant, ask the agent questions about it if you're not sure. Like, if it says "no clubs" does that mean you can't have a danceball up in your living room for yourself and a few friends (yes, I've seen that, most agents would not think twice about such use however).
If it's themed land, you may have to get permission from the agent to place your buildings and other stuff on the land. Again, read and ask, put them up on a skyplatform first (also to check fit) and make sure that's high enough to comply with the covenant as well.

If there are restrictions on terraforming, comply please. I'm currently in a dilemma as a neighbour has put up a 70m tall hill in violation of the covenant and not been online in over a month after she did so (with a bit of luck her rent will run out and her land be reclaimed in the next few days, sometimes having a very nice and accommodating landlord can make them not take action against violations).

• 4 weeks later...

It's real nice that the dude who had Pepita (I'm assuming that it was him) deleted my post and my partner's post in this thread.  He did us a favor - would have been nice to get furniture back but now we have an even better bedroom set than we had before and the other items thankfully all but one were copy items since I found other copies in my inventory.  Also would have been the ethical thing for him to notify everyone and give people at least a chance to retrieve furniture items - no ethical business person would skip out like he and his real life wife did.

Shocking the first time it happens, my condolences.

My first was the first place I ever saw, back in the days when you laughed at people owning... virtual property!

Down past a ravine in a Japanese themed aim...

Some builders dreamhouse... Across from the dreamhouse he lived in...

It became party central, a haven for all sorts of SL friends.

Parties around the pool out back and live music.

On the day it became a blank grassy SL field, abandoned, the shock hit us all. Tons of people tp'd in, were sad, stayed to party a bit in the open field, then we drifted off.

In more ways than one.

But it's SL, my friend. Keep the party going in other places.

• 2 weeks later...

You know if I acted like he did at my job the only thing that would get me is fired for providing such lousy service to customers.  Thanks Antonio you really did do us a favor the new place is much nicer and bigger for not much more than you were charging.  Remember that when the karma bus shows up.

Nadine Zeid wrote:

It's real nice that the dude who had Pepita (I'm assuming that it was him) deleted my post and my partner's post in this thread.  He did us a favor - would have been nice to get furniture back but now we have an even better bedroom set than we had before and the other items thankfully all but one were copy items since I found other copies in my inventory.  Also would have been the ethical thing for him to notify everyone and give people at least a chance to retrieve furniture items - no ethical business person would skip out like he and his real life wife did.

Only a moderator can delete a post, no one else can.  If your post included his name the partner's name or the name of his business then that is why a moderator removed it.  Any one can report a post that is in violatoin of the Community Guidelines it didn't have to be your landlord and probably wasn't.  The moderator may have just seem it on their own too.  It is against those guidelines to name and shame here. 

This post may be removed too unless you remove his name from it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.