All Viewers regardless of maker: Memory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This message is based on an accident of sorts.  Take two computers, same maker, same everything (literally, these were bought at the same time from the same vendor and have the same hookup from the same provider).  The only difference between the two was the Graphics Accelerator card.  Computer 1 had an nVidia 650 Ti (not overclocked) with 1 gig of onboard memory.  Computer 2 had an nVIdia 650 Ti (not overclocked) with 2 gigs onboard memory.

The only difference between the two machines was 1 gig of on-card Graphics memory...  Literally.   When we downloaded the new Firestorm 4.4.0. client (SSB enabled)  the difference was amazing in what we could do, see, and framerate.  That extra memory worked wonders on the client that had it (although the 1 gig client was alright too, just not as fast or capable)

What I found out is this:  now, if you want the good stuff from Second Life, you need a card that is up to date and has two gigs (or more, perhaps) of memory on the card.   Spend the extra money if you have it.  It will be worth it, decidedly so.   Now  I need to trade off an nVidia card and get one with more memory.  Talk about annoying...

Realistically any new game (and many old games) will need a more modern graphics card. Times change and you can't run games on your toaster forever. lolz

No really though this game is a terrible memory hog and always has been tbh that'swhat's really going on here.

:edied for spelling:

Duckie Dickins wrote:

I coukd be wrong but i thought viewers had a hard limit of 512 megs of video ram regardless to what your card supports

The texture memory is limited to 512 MB, but your gpu processes a lot more than just textures, it processes everything you see. Normally I see around 700MB of video memory in use when SL is open, sometimes it's close to a full GB.

Thanks for reporting this Damien. Very interesting observation

Can you post some FPS differences.........for the exact  same situation.......make sure you are  looking  in the exact same direction  and same avatar position as this can drastically effect the FPS numbers.  same view distance setting also.

and of course same graphics setting  (ultra?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.