Is it possible to lower SL's internet consumption?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I have a rather serious problem that really bothers me.

I noticed that Second Life seemed to demand a MASSIVE amount of internet download AND upload from my computer whenever I get in it.

The problem for me is that I have a certain limit on the amount of gigabytes that I can download and upload every month, and if I were to use Second Life very regularly, it would just completely shatter the monthly limit, forcing to pay an additional fee for that.

Unfortunately for me, this has happened for a few months now, and I am very concerned by this.

Is there some way(other than limit my usage of SL) so that I could lower the amount of download and upload done by SL?

You could set your draw distance and other graphical settings very low. If you don't see things in the distance, neither does SL, so it won't download those things.

If you just need to have a quick chat with someone, you could try a text based viewer for that.

Avoid teleporting often and avoid busy places when you can. Also avoid clearing your cache too often.

Killerwing wrote:

Hello, I have a rather serious problem that really bothers me.

I noticed that Second Life seemed to demand a MASSIVE amount of internet download AND upload from my computer whenever I get in it.

The problem for me is that I have a certain limit on the amount of gigabytes that I can download and upload every month, and if I were to use Second Life very regularly, it would just completely shatter the monthly limit, forcing to pay an additional fee for that.

Unfortunately for me, this has happened for a few months now, and I am very concerned by this.

Is there some way(other than limit my usage of SL) so that I could lower the amount of download and upload done by SL?

there is a bandwidth setting in the preferences  in the viwer that you can lower..

i think the tab is network if i'm not mistaken..but i can check and post back up..i'll go look real quick..that or someone will probably answer before i am done with this post or before i get back hehehehe

if not..brb..

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

I don't think lowering the bandwidth is going to do much good. If SL wants to download something, it will. If the bandwitdh is set to a low number, it will simply wait, but still download the content a moment later. It's worth a try though.

ya it will just take it longer i think is all..

draw distance is a good one..because of all the rezzing and stuff..

i think most people are on limited bandwidth now..i know just last year my ISP pulled that crap on me also..

only just after getting me on a two year contract..sneaky bastages.. 

hehehehe

but anyways OP the tab is called setup  and  bandwidth is in there..

also graphics i think there is a setting for how many avatars you want to rezz or something like that ..if that is what it does..that shoudl help also..

In some cases bandwidth can be consumed at a rate of 1MB-2MB per second. To avoid letting people suck your bandwidth up, first activate your "Constantly Updating Objects" to see who is causing the enormous server load, and then simply pan your camera away from them so you are no longer looking at them. Your bandwidth should drop back down to a normal 15-50k/sec after that.

And honestly I'm not really sure if derendering them or blocking them will prevent the bandwidth leak, but turning your camera away from them definitely will.

Good luck.

If you haven't done it already, disable streaming media. It should have a huge effect on the amount of downstream bandwidth SL consumes.

In Firestorm (and I think in most other viewers) it's under Preferences... Sound and Media, then untick 'Streaming Music' and 'Media'. Untick voice too, if you don't use it. Hope this helps.

When I need to limit my usage, I make sure to turn off the music and media. I usually stream the audio when I am in SL, and that is usually accounts for about 1/3 of my data consumption for a session.

Oh, and I keep a close eye on my usage in real time, so I can tell right away if things are getting out of hand.  I use the BitMeter  package from codebox.org.uk.

Like you I have issues with bandwidth consumption at times. Although most months I'm fine. I have found a number of things significantly lower bandwidth consumption:

• Lower graphics settings to "mid" or "low". I have tested this, it does result in a measurable reduction in bandwidth. I'm guessing that the servers don't send some unused information (like lighting and shadow details).
  • Reduce your draw distance. 64m is fine most of the time. I've never needed more than 96m unless I'm driving/flying.
  • Turn of the audio stream (parcel music).
  • Turn off media (parcel media and media-on-a-prim).
  • Turn off voice.
  • Increase your SL cache (I think the default is 1GB, mine is 4GB).
  • Only use a single viewer, don't switch between viewers.
  • Reduce the maximum bandwidth settings. I haven't actually seen a difference in total bandwidth consumption per day with this, but it probably won't hurt.

You can turn on audio stream, media, and voice when needed but leave it off otherwise.

I managed to get it down to around 100MB/hour of online time and even lower if I stay in one region.

Like stated above, if you are just logging in to chat, or send messages,im, or check im;s,group messages, or pay someone, Metabolt is the best text viewer to me. I use it to get the money from my main account (will now my alt) to this account, so if i ever get hacked all they have is my pixel inventory (I don't have payment on file for this account).

But i digress, Lowering your bandwidth will help and like above i have my draw distance at 128 even though it can do about triple, if i don't need it, then i won't use it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.