Lower alpha not working

Suspiria Finucane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently had a friend come back to SL after years away. She dl'ed the latest viewer and when she tried to wear a lower alpha layer (for shoes), it wouldn't work. All the other alphas worked. Anyone else have this issue or any ideas on how to fix it?

I haven't upgraded to the latest chui viewer yet and everything works fine for me.

I can't really come with some good advice. SL is flaky at times. I had this problem with alpha layers myself a while ago. I am not sure if it was due to SL, internet connection, packet loss, whatever. It lasted a few days and then it was all ok again.

She has her old avatars and has tried on stuff from her inventory? I would suggest that she did cleared cache and logged in in Hatton, and let it load fully. Maybe a clean uninstall, install, and then Hatton again. I am really not sure if old inventory can behave "strange" after many years. Who knows, it is SL.

I would try the same as already suggested, getting different alpha layers and test them.

I assume that your friend use "add" instead of "wear"... and that she does not have on multiple tattoo layers. Lots of clothing layers and tattoo layers could mess with my rendering. Take off layers and only having a top and bottom layer? That is a problem I had that just stopped by itself.

Whats usually the problem:

-The ''alpha'' is not really a alpha but is invsiprims. (Which don't work with most recent viewers)

-The alpha itself is just outdated or cheaply done.

-Your friend tried to 'wear'' instead of ''add''.

-Your friend could be wearing an alpha or item that conflicts with that alpha. (ex.wearing two alpha's on the same bodypart)

-Your friend's viewer doesn't support alpha's or multiple's.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

I recently had a friend come back to SL after years away. She dl'ed the latest viewer and when she tried to wear a lower alpha layer (for shoes), it wouldn't work. All the other alphas worked. Anyone else have this issue or any ideas on how to fix it?

I haven't upgraded to the latest chui viewer yet and everything works fine for me.

I've been having occasional problems with the waist-down texture on my avatar not updating properly after a clothing change - it usually gets fixed by re-logging.

RiiCassidy wrote:

Whats usually the problem:

-The ''alpha'' is not really a alpha but is invsiprims. (Which don't work with most recent viewers)

-The alpha itself is just outdated or cheaply done.

-Your friend tried to 'wear'' instead of ''add''.

-Your friend could be wearing an alpha or item that conflicts with that alpha. (ex.wearing two alpha's on the same bodypart)

-Your friend's viewer doesn't support alpha's or multiple's.

I'm sorry but how does an alpha become outdated? How do you have a cheaply done alpha ( other then it not being made to fit the item)?

Also I've worn multiple alphas ont he same body part and tehy've worked fine so I doubt thats it.

I have more info to help make things clearer I prolly should have added.

I created the alpha in Dec. 2012. I was wearing it and it worked flawlessly. I even gave her a copy of the texture and she made her own. It still wouldn't work for her on the chui viewer. Even in my viewer (the latest SL before chui) I couldn't see her wearing the alpha. She wore invisible on all the others and that worked plus I could see those.

Marianne Little wrote:

I assume that your friend use "add" instead of "wear"... and that she does not have on multiple tattoo layers. Lots of clothing layers and tattoo layers could mess with my rendering. Take off layers and only having a top and bottom layer? That is a problem I had that just stopped by itself.

The tattoo part is interesting. She has a unique av and wears no clothing layer "clothes" but does wear clothing layer tattoos. (she wears prim clothes). I suppose the tattoos could be it, so I'll have her try taking those off but again it is only a single layer for each as SL didn't have multiple layers years ago when she last logged in.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

I've been having occasional problems with the waist-down texture on my avatar not updating properly after a clothing change - it usually gets fixed by re-logging.

Tried the relogging gig but no luck. I do have the same problem of my skin's upper texture not rezzing properly so I have to relog to fix that.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

I created the alpha in Dec. 2012. I was wearing it and it worked flawlessly. I even gave her a copy of the texture and she made her own. 

ok, then have you checked her layer itself ? Im sorry to ask such thing, but we dont know anything about your friend's knowledge and her sl skills. Maybe she put the alpha texture in the wrong place ?

If nothing still work, maybe she should clear her cache, log from a zero lag sim, like Pooley, Smith or Uthe and wait till everything in her inventory is loaded, then rewear (add) her alpha layer for her feet.

When i imply that its ''outdated'' i mean it was made when one of the first viewers that supported alpha layers came out., and alot of stuff has been changed since then.

And when i say its cheaply done, i don't mean the actual price, i mean its rushed/half created or just poor.

And not everyones viewer/computer/internet/ and graphics card is the same. When i used to wear two alpha layers on the same bodypart, they would flicker. This was on my old computer though.

RiiCassidy wrote:

When i imply that its ''outdated'' i mean it was made when one of the first viewers that supported alpha layers came out., and alot of stuff has been changed since then.

even the first alpha layer made since viewers can handle them, are still working...

an alpha layer is an alpha layer whatever it has been done in the first time they appeared or later...its exactly the same process for doing them, and they are still exactly the same... 

My friend had that same problem a couple of weeks ago. No matter what she wore, how many times she logged, cleared cache, changed sims, tried different viewers.. her shoes alphas wouldn't work. It lasted for a few days, drove her insane, and then magically fixed itself. It was very strange :smileysurprised:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

RiiCassidy wrote:

even the first alpha layer made since viewers can handle them, are still working...

an alpha layer is an alpha layer whatever it has been done in the first time they appeared or later...its exactly the same process for doing them, and they are still exactly the same... 

That's exactly what I was thinking. also a "cheaply made" alpha would still work it just wouldn't look as great.

UncommonTruth wrote:

My friend had that same problem a couple of weeks ago. No matter what she wore, how many times she logged, cleared cache, changed sims, tried different viewers.. her shoes alphas wouldn't work. It lasted for a few days, drove her insane, and then magically fixed itself. It was very strange :smileysurprised:

I think this is prolly what will happen :matte-motes-wink:  At least one other person has seen this.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

I created the alpha in Dec. 2012. I was wearing it and it worked flawlessly. I even gave her a copy of the texture and she made her own. 

ok, then have you checked her layer itself ? Im sorry to ask such thing, but we dont know anything about your friend's knowledge and her sl skills. Maybe she put the alpha texture in the wrong place ?

If nothing still work, maybe she should clear her cache, log from a zero lag sim, like Pooley, Smith or Uthe and wait till everything in her inventory is loaded, then rewear (add) her alpha layer for her feet.

I understand that you don't know her skills but she is a gifted creator and in SL almost  6 years (on and off).  It will magically fix itself like someone else said. :matte-motes-impatient:

Sus..  if this was going on around the date of your OP..

it could have been all the issues with the grid that went on for a few days ..

i had alphas not rezzing while others were..

i know LL was working on the grid a lot around then..and still not sure if they have it all fixed or not from the mess that was going on..

but maybe it has something to do with that..

it was really messed up around then..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Sus..  if this was going on around the date of your OP..

it could have been all the issues with the grid that went on for a few days ..

i had alphas not rezzing while others were..

i know LL was working on the grid a lot around then..and still not sure if they have it all fixed or not from the mess that was going on..

but maybe it has something to do with that..

it was really messed up around then..

Thank you Ceka :matte-motes-big-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.