Doll Look 2

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Right! There was a reason why I left the previous thread about the dolly look I was puting together. That reason was that I simply hate SL's default avatar.There were some horrible shadows I chouldn't get rid of near the nose (even with face lights) and I couldn't get the mouth the way I wanted.

I also took a look at the BJD avatars suggested by you guys, but they were either too young-looking or not the right proportions (noses way too big!).

So, I made my own mesh avatar. Hey, drastic measure, what I can say? I couldn't find what I wanted in the marketplace so no choice btu to make my own. I'll probably still do some polishing adjustments, but I wanted to post some pics to get some suggestions and feedback from you guys. ^.^

doll_001.png

doll_002.png

Now, there's something still not right here, but I can't put my finger on it: it's either the face shape (should I have it shorter/rounder?),the eye size (more closed?) or the eyes (should the colour be bigger?)

What do you guys think? 

Oh yes, hair by Lo Momo and eyes from By Snow. ;)

My personal opinion is that the face is very long and narrow; shorter and/or rounder would be more appealing to me. The eyes actually look okay to me - kind of demon-doll, but that might be what you're going for. I don't think the color needs to be any bigger; they could be a little more closed, but that's purely taste, I think.

Very nice, though!

ETA: Maybe more lash? The eyelashes are small and hard to see, though they are a bit obscured in the photo. Something more dramatic, to complement the large eyes, might balance better?

ETA2: I agree with another poster that the profile is actually quite lovely. Rounding the cheeks might be all you really need for the front view, but you can always try both ways to get the right balance.

UncommonTruth wrote:

Agreed ^ And adding that the chin is a little masculine. If you go back to round out the face, making the chin just a little more shallow and tiny bit less squared would give it a more feminine look. 

I agree with both lades. Imho I think the profile is lovely and the front view is a bit long..but I love the eeriness to it. And nicely don't BTW!

First I want to congratulate on the awesome work you did! I have no idea how hard it is to make an avatar, and this looks better than a default SL avi, when it comes to those little face imperfections we all hate.

Now, we all have out own visions of a doll look, if this is yours go for it! The best things in the world are created like this, when you can't find what you like so you make your own. I wish I could knew it lol

You asked for a feedback, my personal taste are dolls that look cute, with more round faces and extremely big eyes that are kinda sad and look like they stare at you. Dreamy and creepy at same time. 

Here is a fb page with tons of reference photos https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jasmine-Becket-Griffith/47932244366 I am not saying you should copy her style, its just to explain what are dolls to me. Honestly, I think you should listen only yourself and try to create what you see in your head. That way you will enjoy every part of it and sooner or later find people who like same. Good luck and keep up the great work:)

Yeah, the default avatar is not very preatty to look at. For those who never seen it, here's the female default with no skin, in Blender:

SL avatar default.png

Those bumps were what was causing the horrible shadows around the nose. I made sure to polish my avatar a bit. ;)

Ok, so I will need a bit more modeling; I did stretch the face a little and it did improve, but I totally forgot to keep the nose size. *facepalm

doll_003.png

Not sure about the chin: is it better? I'm honestly not very good at topology; this was my first mesh avatar.

Thank you so much for the feedback! One more pic: I've been trying out some spring time looks (even though here it's non-stop rain IRL xD), and yes, the eyes are fro By Snow. Only 15$ and they are amazingly beautiful!!

Still a clean look: little makeup yet, but I'll work on adding some lashes. ;)

doll_001.png

One mroe thing I wanted to ask, but forgot earlier: Hands. Anyone here have mesh avatars? What kind of hand poses do they come with? Are the fingers long? I'm taking BJD dolls as general reference, but they have tiny hands and small fingers and I'm going for a more realistic, human-like look. But not sure about the hand pose:

doll_002.png

EDIT: Hair was a demo from Edel Store, "Lia". ;)

I like how you're progressing this. It looks very nice.

Too me, dolls have bigish heads, not too big but a fluffy face and small to narrow chin. Large eyes, which are mostly going to be lighter colors and long but not too thick lashes. Button nose, but visible, mostly as pale as you can get them. And if you can and want to be bold get a mesh head. (There's some nice ones by Snow Rabbit). Clothes,Hairs,Shoes and make up will also make your theme pop out.

These items could be something you can work on :

marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Lollidoom-pink-Goth-lolita-dress/993446 (they come in all colors !, fun to mix and match.)

marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Pink-Acid-Photo-Studio-Blush-3-Pack-Almost-Free-Gift/3897014 (Pack as much on as you like, but remember 6 tattoo layers only !)

marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/89002 (This one is a store, probably the best and cheapest doll/anime mesh heads right now)

marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/40608 (Another store, looks liek your wearing a pair of her eyes, but idk, test it out. Remember its mesh and not prim eyes !)

marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/13404(You have to love this lady right here, shes really nice, and gives away alot freebies and dollarbies) 

marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/105204 (Found this cheap shape shop, looks like she sells quite a few doll like female shapes.)

Oh and remember don't make her over at least 5'2 if she's a doll, and not too chuby around the body!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.