Inventory

Bobc49

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does your inventory have any effect on your play experance if it's to large. Also I can't seem to delete anything, I delete and it comes back again doubled. I can't seem to find to much on managing inventory or at least something that answers my questions.

I hope this is the catagory for this question

It's odd that your deleted inventory is coming back; it shouldn't do that. I'm not sure what would cause that, but it sounds like a glitch to me. Try clearing cache; that might help.

As for large inventories, I think it can cause some initial lag as everything loads, but it doesn't seem to have a large effect overall.

yeah just delete boxes. You can delete things in your inventory just rigth click on delete. There is a counter at least in firestorm there is. If you type in the inventory search any letter it'll give you a count of how many items... for instance I blieve mine is like 32,000 and that's by no means large for sl.

Yes, when you have rezzed a box on the ground and opened it, you still have a copy of that in your inventory. Taking it back doubles it. If you have bought no copy items, you have an empty box on the ground, or it just contains a notecard, landmark or similar stuff that is copiable. So delete all boxes on ground. They will go to your trash folder and still count as inventory and increase it, but you will have it out of your way until you will clean trash. If you leave boxes or other things, they will be returned to "Lost and found" folder, that also counts. You can delete things in there too, just be careful so you don't delete No Copy stuff. 

Here is a link with some good information. If you are very new, just scroll down to "Organizing your inventory" and read from there. The information abowe is a bit much to take in when you just want the basic tips http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-your-inventory/ta-p/1370823

If you will know how many items you have, open your inventory and type in "xyz" or other meaningless letters in search. The inventory will return that they found nothing, but the number of items will show on top. When you empty your trash, you will see that number getting smaller. 

Many residents has also written about inventory management. Here is one who really writes detailed: http://www.syzygycommunity.com/support/tutorials-how-to/taming-your-inventory/

Ok I don't feel bad I only have 4,500 items but I delete Demos and they all came back. I deleted the emtpy trash and I always clear caches files whenI shut down, Going have to read some of those artticals. 

My inventory is at just shy of 11,000, and I am cleaning it out once again.

The main reason I keep my inventory "small" is that "bakefail" incidents are farily common for me (noisy internet connection), so every week or two I end up clearing cache to fix the glitch.  After clearing cache, I let my inventory rebuild before I do anything else, and that takes too long otherwise.

Also, 10,000 items is a lot to keep track of.  I regularly run across items I haven't seen in years, and for which I have no foreseeable use.  I like getting new clothes, old clothes that I haven;t worn in years do me no good at all.

Objects and items in inventory have properties and they are: copy, modify, and transfer. 99.99% of all demo boxes are copy. When you drag the item from your inventory to the ground, you are making a copy first. When you delete the copy that is rezzed on the ground you still have the original in your inventory. Clearing cache is something not to be done on a regular basis. If you do things correctly (let inventory load before having fun) then cache rarely ever needs cleared.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.