Mesh Clothing

Stitcher Sellery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3928 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Two things I don't like about mesh clothing.

1.  I have to adjust my settings on my avatar for the clothing to fit, each different outfit requires more tweaking of the appearance.  I'm too lazy to have to change my body all the time.

2.  Mesh clothing makes me look fat.  If I wanted to look fat, I would have adjusted my avatar appearance to look fat.

I have found one mesh dress that I could wear that didn't make me look fat, and I didn't have to tweak my body so my boobs don't show through, or my hips.  If someone can come up with a way to make mesh clothing where my above complaints are absolved, then I will buy mesh.

I do like the mesh shoes and boots though.  :smileyhappy:

Stitcher Sellery

aside from the fact that the I hate mesh topic has been done TO DEATH there is what is called liquid mesh sold by I believe redgrave? that will adjust with your shape a little bit which may be somewhat to your liking. But honestly can we all give the I hate mesh topic a rest  it's old. Yes you don't like it some people do we get it we don't care move on already!

I don't hate mesh, actually, I would really like it, other than the 2 (imo) flaws.  I had been away from SL for quite some time, and came back to the mesh.  The liquid mesh, I'm not sure, is that something that is added to the clothes to make them fit, something designers use, or something that a plain old avie could use to wear mesh properly? 

Again, I love the mesh shoes and boots!

Stitcher Sellery

The fit issue of mesh has been discussed just about to death, at this point. MOST designers now use the 5 standard size, but even using those as a guide, not all mesh clothing fits all avatars all the time. Either you adjust your shape as needed, which for some may be for almost every different designer, or you try demos and only buy what fits perfectly with no shape alteration at all.

As for making you look fat, I've noticed the same thing. I primarily buy mesh tops that are meant to be a bit baggy, like sweaters. I don't have that problem with mesh bottoms. Dresses, I purchase sparingly and with the knowledge that my avatar will look a little thicker around the middle than usual. It doesn't bother me much most of the time, but of course there's the option not to buy, if it does.

Our only hope is the mesh deformer, which is and has been supposedly in development, but so far doesn't seem to be a high priority. The downside is that only clothing made for the deformer with work with the deformer; mesh clothing made before the release of the deformer will fit as usual.

I love my mesh clothing, but some things just work better in system or prim clothing instead. I use and love both. I agree, though - mesh shoes and boots are awesome. :)

I have made a rigged skirt in blender en uploaded it in SL. When I take off my (high)shoes before wearing the skirt, it works perfect, and after that I can take on my shoes again without problems. But wearing the skirt with my shoes on, they don't match anymore with my feet.

I have tried a skelet in blender without feet-bones but then I can not upload anymore the rigged skirt in SL.

When I try a demo model in SL it doesnot matter if I wear shoes or not, so it has to be possible to make it so.

What do I have to do?

Just choose "Add" instead of "Wear". That should do the trick for mesh clothing and also for alphas. The basic attachment point for mesh is the right hand. Sometimes, designers forget to attach their mesh to the right spot and sometimes the SL glitches and attachment points return to default. So adding items instead of wearing is the way to go to avoid ending up half naked :)

Loves the fact there are other people out there that hate mesh clothes that do make you look fat or slathered in baked on clay...or have to adjust your perfectly comfortable AV to someone's weird idea what you should look like.  Mesh accessories are great...mesh clothes are not.

It may be a topic done to death, but for those designing clothes to sell, they really should pay attention to the other half of the SL clothing market.   WE do have money to spend.  Perhaps designered  need to expand on the "5 standard sizes", which are anything but standard. 

Thanks for the replies.  I really was surprised to come back and find mesh.  I'm still learning about it.  Because I was new to mesh, I had to download a new client (using Cool and happy with it so far). There is one top/dress (can be worn as either), that I got in a hunt, and I just love it.  It is a perfect fit, never had to change anything on my appearance.  Guess I know where to shop now.  Good to have demos.  Thanks for the URL about the deformer.  So much new while I was to overwhelmed with RL to be in SL, and now I'm overwhelmed in SL. lol

I would like to say that I am impressed with the talents of the people in SL.  I may not like everything, but it doesn't change the fact that I am impressed with the ideas and creations of the SL population.  Sometimes my words come out sounding a bit negative, it's just my lack of tact. 

Thanks again for all the great info!

Stitcher Sellery

I'm too thin to look fat in anything. But, I don't like seeing the gaps where my body is space only. Or if you get a view from the inside of a tee shirt and its clear from that side. Some of my shirts seem to need an inner layer. I guess its like folks are saying. Try it on first. It is just sad when I can't wear something that i really like.

What I really like with Mesh is how well certain belts fit me now. I think there is also a lot of opportunity for designers to make sexier mesh pants for boys that look a lot better than the sculpted bulges I see.

• 4 months later...

Morgaine Christensen wrote:

Loves the fact there are other people out there that hate mesh clothes that do make you look fat or slathered in baked on clay...or have to adjust your perfectly comfortable AV to someone's weird idea what you should look like.  Mesh accessories are great...mesh clothes are not.

It may be a topic done to death, but for those designing clothes to sell, they really should pay attention to the other half of the SL clothing market.   WE do have money to spend.  Perhaps designered  need to expand on the "5 standard sizes", which are anything but standard. 

Morgaine, I share your frustration from both sides. I choose to have less boob than most and as such nothing fits up top.  As a result, I just make my own things in mesh but I rarely finish them because the effort to make an item far exceeds the time i'll spend wearing it.  I like to buy things too!

As a creator, I have chosen to not sell any mesh items as yet because I see little point in making something in five sizes that still don't fit although I expect to have to bite the bullet and join those that do :(  The problem is, exactly what other shapes to do when you ask on expanding beyond the 5 standard sizes (some of which are anatomically just ugly).  Each model takes time and it's just not that practical.  Bigger bum, fine, what about bigger boobs? bigger bum, smaller boobs, smaller bum, narrower waist?  There are just too many permutations to cover that would be needed.  

LL have sat upon the deformer project for far too long and at present have no staff whatsoever assigned to the project.  

Rigging to collision volume bones is ok to a point but there is no collision volume bone for breast size so that's an immediate fail in that area.  So next up, standard sizes plus standard sizes which are collison volume rigged maybe?

The finger for this poor implementation points firmly towards LL who are intent on delivering other things on their agenda instead of meeting the single most popular market for products within SL - "Avatar Appearance and clothing"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3928 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.