How to edit/replace already uploaded textures?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I'm new to SL and creating on here, I already know how to upload textures.
What I don't know is -- how can I edit (replace) a texture I have already uploaded and assigned to a product in my shop?

Google didn't help me, it's full of tutorials on how to edit textures in Photoshop, how to upload, etc. That's what I don't need. I need to replace already uploaded texture(s).

I hope anyone could help me.
Thanks in advance!

Some 3rd party SL viewers allow you to temporarily upload textures for free. The textures will only exist for the duration of your current log in session but this is great for testing textures to see how they look in SL. I always do a temp upload first as I will inevitably want to tweak the texture before I am 100% happy with it. Only then will I pay L$10 and upload it to the server.

The LL viewer will also let you use a temporary texture to test (its the Local option) which is great. I use it to check sculpts as well before doing an upload. I think its limited to only you being able to see it (not totally sure there) but very useful.

mikka Luik wrote:

The LL viewer will also let you use a temporary texture to test (its the Local option) which is great. I use it to check sculpts as well before doing an upload. I think its limited to only you being able to see it (not totally sure there) but very useful.

Right, local textures can be seen only by the user who has applied them.  Many TPV viewers support local textures, and so do Linden Lab viewers.

Temporary textures, what some viewers have, can be seen also by others.  Temporary textures are not supported by Linden Lab.  Temporary textures feature will stop working when the server side avatar textures baking takes effect.

However, local textures will continue to work, and they are supported by Linden Lab.

ChicByTrinity wrote:

I meant replacing the texture, sorry about confusion.

Does this mean that I have to pay 10 L$ every time I want to replace a texture?

thanks
:)

Just to clarify for the Original Poster, you cannot edit a texture already uploaded to Second Life. If you want to edit or replace a texture that has been uploaded, you have to upload a new texture, so yes, you have to pay $10L every time.

If you want to test textures without paying the upload costs, there are other methods to do that for free, but these methods will not really affect the live servers. If you want to edit an exact texture and it is in your inventory, you can save the texture to your computer for editing, but you will have to pay another $10L to upload the edited texture to Second Life.

mikka Luik wrote:

That is awesome, when did they start allowing that? I use V3 for the beta grid and general exploring in SL but always use Firestorm for building as I get temp uploads and 95% of my inworld time is spent building. However I get about 30 fps using Firestorm and up to 100 fps on V3. Definitely time to say bye bye to Firestorm :matte-motes-big-grin:

Local (temporary) uploads were introduced to V3 in one of the most recent upgrades of the viewer, so not many people are aware of the option yet.  Linden Lab's implementation is different from the way that Firestorm and other TPVs handle temporary textures, too.  As soon as they implement the changes that will move our avatar appearance files to the servers from our own hard drives, the TPV method will break, leaving LL's V3 method as the only option (at least until Firestorm adapts).  There are enough other advantages to Firestorm that I can't see a mass exodus of builders and clothing designers over this, but it's going to be a surprise for a lot of people at first.

Firestorm allready has adapted to local textures. I don't know when they did it but it has been like that for some time now and i'm not on the newest version of Firestorm. It's done in allmost the same way as in V3.

The thing I really like about local textures is that when you apply them and have them open in Gimp / Photoshop at the same time you can work on them there and see the changes in world imidiately just by hitting the save button. You won't have to upload them again.  Not pleased with the result ? just undo and hit the save button again. It's a nice way of working on textures.

Jasmin Helstein wrote:

The thing I really like about local textures is that when you apply them and have them open in Gimp / Photoshop at the same time you can work on them there and see the changes in world imidiately just by hitting the save button. You won't have to upload them again.  Not pleased with the result ? just undo and hit the save button again. It's a nice way of working on textures.

Yes this is great, just like the material relationship between PS and 3DS Max. I often upload the same texture into SL dozens of times just to make sure it looks perfect, so this feature is a great improvement to the viewer IMO. Lack of local/temp uploads was the only factor that was stopping me using V3 full time. I've never been able to upload mesh using FS so it has been a pain in the arse switching viewers all the time. 

It's been years since I fully embraced a LL viewer, so hopefully they have finally ticked enough boxes to win back more of their userbase which can only be a good thing after the V2 debacle.

The updating 'live' i didn't know of until now....thats going to be incredibly useful :) Don't think I am quite ready to give up my regular viewer but its another reason to explore V3 some more (really only used it for the Merchant bit before)

• 1 month later...

If you want to sell a different or updated version of an item using a current listing:

1. In the upper-right, choose My Marketplace > Merchant home.
  2. On the left, click Manage inventory.
  3. Find the item you want to update, and choose Actions > Edit at the far right. 
    edit_listing.png
  4. Click Search without entering anything in the text box. A list of inventory items appears. These are the inventory items not associated with any listing information.
  5. Click the name of the new item. Next to SL object name, the name of the new item now appears.
    Edit associated object.png
  6. Click the Update button at the bottom to save your changes.

• 1 year later...

Flawed. SO FLAWED. I am attempting to make my first tattoo. I upload a texture, but didn't understand the transparency. The texture when applied, blackens my whole upperbody, I paid 10L. I realize part of the mistake I made and altered the texture via GIMP, but that means I now have to spend another 10L to see if this texture has no mistakes? They need to change this. I should be able to replace the jpg/png files of which I uploaded!!!

When you are just testing textures to see what they look like in world, don't pay L$10 to upload them permanently.  Use the Local Textures option instead.  Any textures you display with that option are not really uploaded.  They remain on your own hard drive but your viewer applies them temporarily in world until you log out again.  Best of all, if you edit the textures on your computer with GIMP or Photoshop and save the result, it will immediately show up in world wherever you have applied it.

When you are satisfied with all your edits, THEN save the final result and pay the L$10 upload free to bring a permanent texture in world.

Read more at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Rolig_Loon/Local_Textures

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.