do 1 mb sped net is good for sl ?

Laura1 Lisa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

Where I live download speeds are measured in kilobytes per second.

My speed is 13946 which translates to 13.619141 megabytes per second according to the converter. I have a 16mbps connection (it never makes it to the number they quote you).

So if your question was stated accurately the answer would be "no". It would be VERY slow I think. You could maybe do OK if you turned your graphics down to the lowest setting.  You can always try and see, but faster would be MUCH better

Ah!   That's your download speed?  Yes, that's very slow.  Mine is typically about 4.5 Mb/sec, and I am in a rural area, far from a major city .  Especially if you are very far from Linden Lab's servers, you will probably have serious connection problems and a lot of lag.

Hello,

the download-speed is throttled anyways to something far below the average's max, 1Mbit will be sufficient to use Second LIfe, but if you go into a big sim, you will see the world loading very slowly. Make sure that "Texture Compression" is not active in your preferences (menu Me-> Preferences-> graphics-> Advanced mode-> Hardware Options) or you would suffer from client lag while the viewer is trying to compress the slowly incoming textures.

Also set your draw distance slider to minimum in the graphics preferences (64 m).

• Like 1

1 mbps download is more than adequate for SL.  Of course that depends on whether or not that speed is actually being recieved from the SL servers.  The only way to be reasonably sure you are getting that speed is to test it to the servers.  You can get third party software programs to monitors your connection speed (many are free...check CNET download.com).  But you can get a pretty good approximation for what your speed is by testing at http://www.speedtest.net/ .  Just run a couple tests to both San Francisco, CA and Dallas, TX and take the average.  If that 1 mbps speed is the speed your ISP advertises for your Internet service level, it's unlikely that you will get that exact speed........it will be something lower except on very rare occassions (that speed is the maximum you will recieve from your ISP and is effected by many outside factors.......you should get 75-80% of that speed on a consistant basis.  If you don't then a call to your ISP is in order to find out why).  With a speed of 1 mbps (1000 kbps) you should expect about 800 to 900 kbps actual speed to a local test server.  Depending on how far (in Internet distance) from the test servers closest to the SL servers you are located it will probablty something lower.  A connection speed to the SL servers of 500 kbps (.5 mbps) will give you fairly decent texture rendering and fairly decent FPS as long as you have the graphics capabilities (a good graphics adapter/card).  If you set your preferences to roughly 75% of your tested connection speed you should get pretty good performance in SL (note:  I did say you would, I said you should.....there are so many outside factors that no one can say you will).  What you do not want to do is set your preferences higher than your connection speed will allow.......doing that will often create problems mostly related to packet loss.  You might have problems with things like voice and streaming media which are in addition to the settings in preferences. 

1 mbps is not ideal, I agree.  But it's not too slow for SL.  Something near 2 mbps tested to San Francisco and Dallas is much more ideal.  You will never get more bandwidth sent to your viewer than the SL servers will send.........and that appears to be about 1.5 mbps (1500 kbps in preferences).  You could set your preferences to 100 gbps and everything above what the servers send is just not going to ever be sent.  I have a tested speed to the servers of about 13 mbps and I set my preference speed to 1.2 mbps (1200 kbps)..........I have never seen the bandwidth meter go above about 1100 kbps.  I can maintain about 30 FPS (mostly more than that) in all but the busiest of areas.  I have no texture lag in those same areas.  I have a slightly higher spec'd computer than average and a decent cable connection........nothing fantastic, just a little better than average.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.