Changing skin color?

Robin Redangel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OR purchase a set of full perm, psd, skin templates and became your own skin creator.

Though what Klisties said is significantly cheaper. And to be frank, unless its something like skin shade, freckles, drawn representation of the genitalia, skin finish,  or an "extreme" drawn aspect, by and large most skins look "the same" on  you unless you change your shape. Test that principle out with a free skin and you might see what I mean. Gives you a different way of evaluating skins then. And you might be better armed when buying one that gives you whatever it is thats making you like the one you have.

SinfulPrince wrote:

OR purchase a set of full perm, psd, skin templates and became your own skin creator.

Though what Klisties said is significantly cheaper. And to be frank, unless its something like skin shade, freckles, drawn representation of the genitalia, skin finish,  or an "extreme" drawn aspect, by and large most skins look "the same" on  you unless you change your shape. Test that principle out with a free skin and you might see what I mean. Gives you a different way of evaluating skins then. And you might be better armed when buying one that gives you whatever it is thats making you like the one you have.

Couldn't disagree more.  When I put other skins on with my shape they make me look different.  Sometimes the change is subtle sometimes there is a clear difference, like I look like another person. Women's skins really can make you look different.  I've noticed it to a lesser degree in men, but I still notice it.

I have to agree with Amethyst; the range of styles varies drastically just in one store, let alone different creators.

In response to Robin though, I've heard of skin tint tattoo layers that, when worn over your purchased skin, will change the tone... but I've never tried one. On the whole I think you're better off just trying to find a shade you like in whatever store you bought this skin from. :}

Skins change an avatar quite dramatically, actually. It takes me a bit of searching to find that one that's just right. Keep in mind, most of the quality skins have some sort of shading, which makes quite a difference.

Try this. Get a shape that typically has a certain feature that's larger or smaller than average. then get a skin that's the opposite, and one that's meant for that shape. The results will be astounding.

For example. Oriental shapes tend to have relatively small noses. If they're realistic, the eyes tend to be a bit smaller than usual too. An oriental skin will retain these features. But if you put a skin designed for a black or hispanic character on that same shape, since they tend to have larger noses and eyes, the effect is undone. That's because the shading of the skin makes these features seem to "pop" more.

Another way that skins affect an avatar is whether they're shaded thin, muscular, or fat. Some have collarbones, others do not. Some might have rib shading, others may have "6 packs." They all have a subtle, yet dramatic effect.

With femal skins, it's even more apparent. Different highlights and shadows can greatly affect form. Then there's different makeup, and of course, all that "anatomically correct" stuff you mentioned.

Making your own skin is pretty advanced and (legal) templates are very expensive. 

A much simpler and cheaper option might be to wear a shadow skin layer. I don't know where to get one, but you can wear it (I'm not even sure what it's called), and it darkens your existing skin. Like a tattoo layer. 

solstyse wrote:

For example. Oriental shapes tend to have relatively small noses. If they're realistic, the eyes tend to be a bit smaller than usual too.

Having lived in Asia, Korea to be exact - I'd say the eyes tend to be noticeably larger, and different shaped. It was very common for people there to refer to the Caucasian expats you'd see with polite versions of 'beady eyed'. Rounder faces of many people can offset the larger eyes and make them seem smaller.

Noses are often wider and flatter (so smaller in profile, but larger from a frontal view). Much as with Africans. But there is variety and you can easily also find people with thinner noses - especially if they know plastic surgeons... o.O

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Having lived in Asia, Korea to be exact - I'd say the eyes tend to be noticeably larger, and different shaped.

That's because real life korean's aren't being designed by people who attempt to make absolutely sure that nobody will ever mistake their shape for "anime." by going to the exact opposite extreme.  lol. I get what you're saying though.

Avatar ethnicity compared to person ethnicity is kind of bizarre. In sl, even something like the clothes you put on your avatar can change the race someone percieves them as. It's a lot of fun to change hair and clothes, and see how many different ways you are percieved.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.