Since I updated to Windows 8 my screen flickers every time I open a Second Life viewer.

Cristina Mistwalker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I updated my laptop to Windows 8 a few days ago and since then every time I open a Second Life viewer my screen starts flickering. It happens on any viewer (SL Viewer, firestorm, nirans, exodus...) and only with Second Life, I can play other games with no problems. I tried with low graphics and still the same. Anyone experiencing anything similar to this?

Already had updated Graphics Card drivers to latest windows 8 compatible version, still experiencing same problem.

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

There's no guarantee yet that SL will run properly on Windows 8.  That's a new enough OS that people are just finding out where problems might be.  It sounds like you've found one yourself.   Do a quick search in these forums for others.  Here's a start....

- http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Windows-8-info/td-p/1716123

- http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Windows-8/td-p/1714111

- http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Lindens-Windows-8-Compatibility/td-p/109...

If nothing else, you ought to try updating your video card drivers, if new ones are available.

• Like 1

Win 8 is still not guaranteed to work with the "official" Linden Lab viewer. It does work for most peolpe, but we've seen notes from several people who are having problems, like you. In most cases, they are fixed by updating graphics card drivers. If that doesn't work for you, I suggest trying a different viewer. The only one I know of that definitely does NOT handle Win 8 is Phoenix.

Win 8 is still a very new platform and is not guaranteed to be compatible with Second Life. Most people seem to be having to trouble with it, but not all. The best cure for odd colors is to upgrade your graphics drivers. That works for most people, but not all. The Phoenix viewer, in particular, will not function properly with Win 8 no matter what you do. I suggest running on a lower graphics setting that you have been accustomed to, and turning off lights and shadows.

I too am seeking an answer to this flickering problem, plus other annoyances.  Dolphin Viewer has the same problem.  Am using an Acer Aspire laptop with Windows 8 touch screen.  On a positive note, when the flashing stops, the water effects are great (splashes, waves, etc.)--perhaps even a little better than Windows 7.  Will continue to look for more updated driver information.

I too have a brand new Acer Aspire IE5 Windows 8 laptop and had flickering. Tried a couple of different viewers and both the same. I've just unticked the basic shadowers option and the flickering has stopped - yaaay!

I was having the same problem, but did not want to uncheck basic shaders since it ruined much of the beautiful landscape.  To resolve the problem on my PC, I increased graphics quality to "high".  This may, of course, reduce your fighting speed, but you can at least enjoy the beauitful landscaping.

Yes, unchecking the Basic Shaders solves the problem indeed. Since most of the viewers happen to use the same source, this problem occurs in most, if not all viewers. The unchecking of Basic Shader in the Graphics section does the trick. Thx a million, hope it will be fixed in next upgrades. I have Intel's HD4000 and AMD's HD 7730M with a total of 4GB of graphic memory, and was scratching the back of my head.... :)

Thanks for your info, I have been using Phoenix ever since it came out & now today 1/14/14 <<lol, when I log into SL, I am experiencing the same flickering, I unchecked the Basic shaders in graphics settings, it did not stop for me & no i do not like the view either. I will keep exploring for answers & post a fix if I find it.

You can't be using Phoenix. It was deprecated about 9 months ago and will no longer connect to SL. You must be using Firestorm. Windows 8 has been working fine for a lot of SL residents, but you do have to be sure that you have the right drivers loaded, and you will have to do a CLEAN reinstall of your viewer afterwards. KarenMichelle outlined the important steps and I copied them into http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Windows-8-and-flashing-menu-graphics/qaq-p/2257673 . If you have further trouble after doing that, I suggest posing your question in the in-world Firestorm Support Group.

You know I am totally clear on why i would ever want to leave IE & go to Firefox because when i went to the link you shared with me I am finding windows updates that would not even detect otherwise with the way I had Firefox browser setup. Anyone else with this issue i suggest you follow the link & take your time & update as suggested. Great ty, yes i was using Firestorm, I just went to Phoenix to see if that would correct the issue, I am now going to the link you sent. Special thanks for the reply. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.