Lindens: Windows 8 Compatibility?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everything I've heard (which is really very little except the hype Microsoft is throwing out) is that Win 8 isn't even ready for beta.  All that's been released is a few copies for developers to look at..........it's no where near ready for public release.  Expected beta release isn't even mentioned, let alone prime time.  I doubt LL is even thinking of Win 8 right now.......heck it may even never get released.  It's hype, all hype.  Making noise to try to drown out some of the iPad noise Apple is making.  When it comes out I'm sure LL will look at it..........but, as far as I can tell from the hype it's target is pads and mobils so any SL for Win 8 will be not be as graphically intensive as what we have today.  That could be good, that could be bad........we'll have to wait to find out (probably late next year at the earliest as far as I can tell).

What little I've been able to understand around all the hype is that Win 8 is a different platform all together being developed to compete with iPads and the other tablets like Android.  I believe Microsoft has to develope such a system but I'm not sure how successful any of the tablets/mobil platforms will be in the end..........all that wireless bandwidth on an already crowded frequency spectrum is going to run into some big trouble soon.  There's only so much bandwidth available for civilian use across the airways.  Governments and military own most of it then you have the commercial users (TV, radio, voice cell phones, household wireless phones, etc).  Smart phones and tablets are the rage now..........will that be the case a couple years from now?  Some say yes..............I say, we'll see.

Windows 8 is based on the same code as Windows 7. There are supposed to be enhancements, such as faster boot time. The big change is the addition of the tile GUI to go along with the traditional GUI. I don't have anything smaller than a 23" monitor, so I don't see that I'll have any use for a GUI meant for tiny little screens. There are a few announced features I'd like to have, but so far Windows 8 looks like a pass to me.

I expect Win 8 to run SL just as well as Win 7 does.

Lynda Klossovsky wrote:

AT THE TIME OF WRITING....This link just hit my inbox..

The server will be busy and you may have troubles accessing the web site for a day or so...

ENJOY !!!!

The link is to the developer preview for Win 8 -- think alpha or pre-alpha, not beta. It's definitely something to load on a spare machine rather than one you expect to use daily.

Bah, they had time to run RC versions of win7 for months or like a year!!!! I mean, that is RC!!! That was publicaly available. They didn't seem to care so much. Many will be upset though, because LL has stopped upgrading 1.23.....heck, that will definatly not work on win8...but, maybe that is one issue for the need for win8....XP compatability mode totally enhanced to perfection? You never know. I think ultimate of win7 came with a full winxp inside of it! It runs what it needs and even had support to run virtual hardware stuff, if you had the hardware....or something like that.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

What little I've been able to understand around all the hype is that Win 8 is a different platform all together being developed to compete with iPads and the other tablets like Android.

Competition with iPad, but not really with Android. They announced today that Win 8 on mobile tablets will have a -block- to prevent viewing Flash content on webpages.

What all these HTML-5 fans fail to realize is that the power of Flash for development is in the ability to hand it over to a graphic artist who doesn't even know what HTML is and runs screaming at the sight of the '{' symbol; and get amazing results back.

Put a graphic artist in front an Eclipse application window and you'll get... nothing...

Make it too hard to support half of your development community (any online project is a coordination between coders and artists in both the design and implimentation phases) and you just assure yourself of a difficult adoption path. Its why there've been so many attempts to hack past iPad's bar against Flash.

And its why Android has been putting out TV commercials touting the presence of Flash.

Sooner or later, content is going to start swinging heavily in Android's favor, and iPad / Win8 will be in a troubled spot. Unless Win8 allows installing browsers other than IE.

HTML5 is way to overhyped and overpromised, while being not at all viable to design for a non-coder. You draw beautiful vector illustrations and movie images with lines of code. You use lines to code to enable them and manage them. Put out a Flash like developer suite for hand drawing vector art and displaying it in HTML 5 and then maybe it will overtake Flash... but otherwise, Flash is still the ideal way to get artistic work done for web-content.

HTML 5 would be like us in SL making sculpties and prim buildings using excel and typing numbers into the cells without seeing a prim or even polygon on the screen until we hit save. You just can't expect artists to work like that. They're rarely math-geeks.

This was in reply to dante tuck btw, not cerebrix absolute:matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:no...first off, in case no-one guessed..that picture is photshopped...(its actually a pic i found in a windows 8 report and i photoshopped it)..

I tried to install windows 8 physical..that is on a spare drive on  a pc.(extracted from the iso file). just didnt finish installing the operating system, then got a blue screen to quick to see what it was b4 it  tried to restart, but it crashed three quarters of the way thru "installing services"  (the registry installed ok) and never finished loading, so i never saw it on my computer, although i have seen reports..

• 1 month later...

I tried running Firestorm (latest release) on Windows 8 (Developers' Ed) and it installs and runs OK but my right click on the mouse doesn't work. Weird. Everything else seems OK. Right click is OK everywhere else. Trying Viewer 2 now...

BTW Windows 8 looks fantastic. I've been using it on my laptop for several weeks, and it's great.

SL testing windows 8? I wouldn't count on it. I am not even sure if half of Lindens computers even have windows 7 on them yet lol. I had problems with a video card like a year ago and contact LL and they told me most of their computers were running with 6600 series cards in them lol. You will probably get more testing and feed back from people doing third party viewers before you will from LL. My guess anyway.

as a windows 8 tester my self i have been playing around looking for a fix nothing so far for windows dev firestorm beta don't work also. but dolphin viewer 3 works and it's the same as viewer 2 just with a few tweaks. also there is phoenix viewer work's with some small bugs but at least it works so try dolphin or phoenix viewer there your best bet :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.