Windows 8 info

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are a couple of threads asking if Windows 8 is ok for running SL but this question is different.

Apart from the 'touch screen' feature, which is only useful in conjunction with a screen that's capable of it, has anyone found any compelling reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

I know that the start screen is radically different to look at, but seeing a different arrangement there is no big deal in itself.

The 'interface formerly known as Metro' (IFKAM) is much more than a start screen; it's the future of Windows. MS would like all new apps to be written to run on it, but for now there will be IFKAM apps and legacy (desktop) apps. Unfortunately, MS has decided that people only use computers to consume data (watch movies, play games, browse the web, etc.). IFKAM's a miserable interface if you create things.

Other than IFKAM, Win 8 is mostly a tweaked Win 7. It boots faster but otherwise runs pretty much the same as Win 7 (see Gentlemen, start your benches: Measuring Window 8's performance).

I'm not planning on upgrading to Win 8. There are some behind-the-scenes improvements I'd like to see MS add to Win 7, but they're not worth the trouble of upgrading to Win 8, IMO. If I somehow ended up with a computer that had Win 8, I'd get one of the products that gets around the IFKAM interface so I could stay on the desktop.

As I have already mentioned in a previous thread on the subject, the 'touch screen' feature is ergonomically very bad, indeed. Regardless of whether Win 8 was actually brilliant otherwise, this feature alone would stop me upgrading. Touch screens are fine for phones and tablets, but to stretch to touch a desktop pc screen involves shoulder and spine flexion that over time will be a pain...quite literally. At present., I sit quite comfortably, flicking my fingers over a track ball, giving me even better camera control than a mouse. Even if I type, my arms are relaxed and not stretched upwards to a dumb touch screen. Even phones and tablets, though, I don't think are ideal for touch screen, I recall how many of us used to abhor the slightest finger smudge on older phones, and would constantly be wiping them to try keep the screens pristine. Now, because of the gimmick of touch screen technology, suddenly smudged displays are fine.

My decision is made: I'll stick with Win7 until it's not supported any longer. And then I'm gonna delete Win forever and wave a friendly goodbye (actually flippin' the bird) to Mr Gates and swing to Linux (Mint or Ubuntu).

Win7 is a great system, runs very well on my hardware and as a creature of habit I gotta admit I'm so used to it by now, almost addicted. My hubby already uses an older Ubuntu version exclusively; he misses nothing and is happy about how fast and snappy it runs on his old lappy with the GNOME GUI . Should be a hoot on my more powerful desktop. And it looks good, more sexy than anything MS or Apple have come up with yet. Although the Ubuntu community is in danger of falling into the Win/Apple trap with their newest GUIs like Unitiy and stuff. Looks cool but slows your system down.

So what about Win8? With its touchable tiles it only makes sense on a tablet. Nobody wants to reach out across the desk and smeer their fatty fingers over the screen. And who in their right minds would wanna use an awkward and seriously underpowered tablet for an application like SL??? And mouse? Haha, they claim everything will be like it always was ... but some powerusers are already reporting that's not the case entirely.

i ran all the Win8 beta and previews for quite a long time just to see

unless you got a compelling reason to run Win8 metro apps (or touchscreen) then for me is pretty much a waste of time and money to upgrade from Win7 to Win8

i reinstall Win7 on my lappy in the end. is no touchscreen on it

ps. should have said. if i had a touchscreen then i would defo upgrade

I've been running SL on win 8 for about a month now and found I can pretty much do eveything in 8 I could do in 7. The interface does take a little getting used to but once you do, it is really not a biggie. You just have to get used to doing things in a differnet way (i.e. no start button lol) One thing I did find is that I could not get Pheonix to work on Win 8. The SL viewer and Firestorm work just fine though. :matte-motes-big-grin:

P.S. This is on a desktop and not a laptop. I have not even tried win 8 as a touch screen app. I just use the mouse.:matte-motes-wink-tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Marusame Arai wrote:

I cant run SL at all, it keeps saying my drivers are out of date, ill keep trying but i wish they let you play without killing the program just cause it assumes i dont have the right drivers

if your drivers are upto date then look here for the --noprobe answer from Rolig

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Viewers/I-have-the-official-release-of-Windows-8-not-the-pre-release-and/qaq-p/1647489

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

CAN ANYONE HELP I JUST PURCHASED NEW LAPTOP WHICH ALREADY HAD WINDOWS 8 AND IT IS NOT ALLOWING ME TO LOAD ANY VIEWERS AND I HAVE CLEANED OUT AND REINSTALLED SEVERAL TIMES AND STILL NO SUCCESS PLZ HELP ME I HAVE SL BUSINESSES AND THIS DANG WINDOWS 8 IS MAKING ME LOOSE MONEY PLEASE HELP ME

MAYBE YOUR CAPS LOCK IS STUCK ON WHEN YOU TYPE YOUR PASSWORD.

You will have to be more descriptive of the fault in order to get help. If you see any error messages, quote them word for word in your reply. Your computer specification will be useful also, listing the amount of RAM, processor, graphics card part number, etc etc.

• 3 months later...

I have been trying out SL on a sony Viao with Win 8. It is very unstable. This could have to do graphics memory rather than the new OS. Unless you have optimized your new win 8 laptop with sufficient graphics capabalities don't bother - SL crashes usually after 5 minutes. This was not the case using a laptop with Win 7.

BTW - I opted for the non-touch screen.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.