Pathfinding Question - Different Viewers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This may be a stupid question but...does pathfinding work on the v. 1.x viewers, such as Phoenix 1.5.2.1185?  The reason I'm asking is that I am trying to trouble-shoot one of my scripted items that works fine for me, my alt, a friend - all on various viewers including Zen and Firestorm.  The item also works for me on the estate of one of my customers, BUT not for her.

The only variable I have narrowed the issue down to now is if the estate is pathfinding-enabled and I'm using the above Phoenix (item works for me on that estate) and the customer is using Firestorm 4.2.2 AND has pathfinding enabled (doesn't work for her).  I haven't verified if the estate is pathfinding enabled, but after days of trying to troubleshoot the issue..that is the only variable left.

Thank you. :)

Pathfinding scripts are like any scripts- they're executed entirely server side. Viewer doesn't matter. It only matters if you want to change pathfinding attributes in the region, then you'd need to update your viewer.

If you scripted an object and it doesn't work at someone's sim, they need to have an estate owner turn pathfinding on for the region.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Pathfinding scripts are like any scripts- they're executed entirely server side. Viewer doesn't matter. It only matters if you want to change pathfinding attributes in the region, then you'd need to update your viewer.

If you scripted an object and it doesn't work at someone's sim, they need to have an estate owner turn pathfinding on for the region.

Thanks Gadget...I was wondering if it was pathfinding on that could be causing the weird issues.

ETA:  The strange thing is, whether pathfinding is enabled on the sim in question or not, I stood right next to the other person, we both rezzed the same item (exact copies); the item worked perfectly for me but not for the other person.  So, with pathfinding being server side, I would think I would also have difficulties.

I also had this build tested by my alt, who has no problems, and a friend who tried it with two different viewers and had no problem.  Whatever is wrong, seems somehow to be connected with the user or the user's environment.

Quinn Morani wrote:

I've been mostly away from SL for quite a few months. I've seen a couple of references lately to pathfinding, which is new to me. I have no idea what it is; is it something new to SL? Can anyone point me to where I can learn more? Thanks.
:)

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Take-a-Sneak-Peek-at-the-Pathfinding-Experiments-Being-Conducted/ba-p/1386511

Quinn Morani wrote:

I've been mostly away from SL for quite a few months. I've seen a couple of references lately to pathfinding, which is new to me. I have no idea what it is; is it something new to SL? Can anyone point me to where I can learn more? Thanks.

Hi Quinn, welcome back :) 

Still love that outfit.  I finally got around to trying to put it together from the info you provided to me a long time ago and the shop that sold the sari is no longer in SL. :(

Quinn Morani wrote:

At the risk of sounding like I'm engaged in self-promotion (:)) I've an overview of pathfinding here which covers the basics. It also has links to more recent articles (given it is now a couple of months old, and things are evolving), some of which include links to LL's growing resources on the subject.

Thanks so much for the info, Perrie and Inara! I will certainly check out the info you have provided. 

Czari, thank you for the compliment. I keep thinking I should update my forum photo since this one is a couple of years old (from Halloween 2010), but I loved that outfit so much that I can't bear to change the photo just yet. It brings back happy memories to look at it. I was inspired by the fact that I was actually in India at the time on a RL work trip. How sad that the shop is no longer in SL. :(

Edited to add: Czari, we never did connect inworld like we had talked about doing at the time I gave you that info. We'll have to correct that, now that I'm starting to spend more time here again. :) 

Inara Pey wrote:

At the risk of sounding like I'm engaged in self-promotion (
) I've an overview of
which covers the basics. It also has links to more recent articles (given it is now a couple of months old, and things are evolving), some of which include links to LL's growing resources on the subject.

The URL in your link has a spurious http:// on the end, so it only gets to a "Page not found".

If anyone wants to reach the correct page, here's the link:- http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/pathfinding-overview/

The issue my customer was having was not due to Pathfinding, different viewers, etc.  It was a combination of three scripts that didn't play nicely together.  The issue was very random, ie. it worked for me and some friends who tested it, but not always for my customer.  The solution turned out to be the order in which a person accessed its two options.  If one always did A then B, no problem, but if one did B then A - issues.

On the advice of the brilliant scripter who finally figured it out (after a week of me tearing my hair out) I purchased an updated script that she felt would work.  Thus far it doesn't work any better, in fact worse in some cases but my scripter friend said it may need to be tweaked and is checking it out.

Although frustrating, I learned a LOT about many things in SL as well as scripting through this experience.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

The issue my customer was having was not due to Pathfinding, different viewers, etc.  It was a combination of three scripts that didn't play nicely together.  The issue was very random, ie. it worked for me and some friends who tested it, but not always for my customer.  The solution turned out to be the order in which a person accessed its two options.  If one always did A then B, no problem, but if one did B then A - issues.

On the advice of the brilliant scripter who finally figured it out (after a week of me tearing my hair out) I purchased an updated script that she felt would work.  Thus far it doesn't work any better, in fact worse in some cases but my scripter friend said it may need to be tweaked and is checking it out.

Although frustrating, I learned a LOT about many things in SL as well as scripting through this experience.

This is the huge problem with generic scripts you purchase, and then try to combine. It's also part of the reason the grid is so laggy.

This will almost sound like self-promotion or something, but if you need to have something scripted that you can't do yourself and it needs to have multiple functions, you're really better off hiring a scripter to write it all into one script. It may not always be cheaper, but it will almost always certainly be better.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

This is the huge problem with generic scripts you purchase, and then try to combine. It's also part of the reason the grid is so laggy.

This will almost sound like self-promotion or something, but if you need to have something scripted that you can't do yourself and it needs to have multiple functions, you're really better off hiring a scripter to write it all into one script. It may not always be cheaper, but it will almost always certainly be better.

Very true.  I'm hoping the script I just purchased on the recommendation of the scripter will work after she checks it out with my product.  The issue I was having deals with needing a script that "calls" (if that's the right term) to another script.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.