On the Lighter Side: The Bet was Paid

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let me first say, I'm not posting this thread to gloat or show off. I was asked to post this thread by Josh Susanto. Over the time period of this bet, I have gotten to know Josh quite a bit more. I have found Josh to be a very stand up guy and I can honestly call him a friend.

Many months ago, Josh and I got into a disagreement about sculpties and mesh. Please forgive me if I don't remember all the details, but the basic premiss of the bet was that LL would change some aspect of sculpty accounting to make mesh more competitive against a sculpty. My position was that LL would do nothing of the sort. Today, Josh paid up on that bet.

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Funny, had similar discussion with a friend when mesh was released and we took some pot shots at it while comparing with sculpts

We both agreed that for clothing it would be brilliant as your not bullied by the PE but for the rest, "meh, what ever..."

Personally, my opinion has not changed. I have yet to make a mesh that was not better to use than any sculpty. All items that are smaller, and do not require multiple moving parts, would be better made with mesh, in every single way possible. This is because the same thing made with sculpties would likely require multiple sculpts, when a mesh would not. If we are strictly talking PE, sculpties might get you a lower PE on large items, but the Display cost would be much worse than a well made mesh. Even with clothing, there are things to consider, because everything has a Display cost. The Display cost doesn't have a limit, but if you go too high, it will seriously cause lag.

The most unique situation that would get the end user the most detail with the least amount of data, would be a creator using mesh for every part of a fully custom region. In this case, a knowledgable creator would not really have many limitations per object. So, if the creator made mesh trees that were 15 PE each, it would not matter, as the creator would make up for those prims somewhere else.

In the case of some1 not a mesh creator, and trying to fill a region, they would not have the luxury of creating strictly for efficiency. The non creator's region would always be more data and less efficient because they would only guage things by their PE limit. This is not an efficient way to put a region together, but the way most regions will be put together.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.