Instant Transfer/Process to Paypal, Please

Eboni Khan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Drake Faudeburgh wrote:

In response @ Pamela Galli: to your idea that LL does not care if I pull my items and leave: YOU ARE WRONG

Okay then follow through on your fist-shaking threat and let's see what kind of response you get from LL.  If you think you are the first or biggest to ragequit SL, you are wrong.

If you do nothing but sell items on the MP, cash out your earnings  and have no interaction with SL, how is that in any way helping the economy of SL? You cannot say they are giving back simple because they created something to SELL. That means that every tom dick and harry that sells anything is helping the economy of SL. If you don't buy anything, you don't help.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

If you do nothing but sell items on the MP, cash out your earnings  and have no interaction with SL, how is that in any way helping the economy of SL? You cannot say they are giving back simple because they created something to SELL. That means that every tom dick and harry that sells anything is helping the economy of SL. If you don't buy anything, you don't help.

I do agree with this. Those people that play completely for free and manage to generate a profit which is all cashed out are nothing but leaches, sucking resources away from the world without compensating LL for the privilege. Of course LL have only themselves to blame. Their lack of action and ingenuity has resulted in a massive dynamic 3D world playing second fiddle to a **bleep** 2D website when it comes to commerce. Their actions have resulted in a double culling of commercial land use inworld. The first culling was slow and steady with the rollout of the GSA search engine, the second culling has been more swift and decisive with the rollout of direct delivery. Based on the their actions to date, it would appear that LL no longer  want merchants paying tier and selling content inworld. 

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Whether the merchant sells full perm items, or has tons of affliates, or created an RPG system that helps to support RPGs, they are giving back massively to the SL community and generating value to the community, on top of the value they bring by just selling products. Generally, those that generate the most overall value to the community will be the 1's living off what they make, and the more there are, the better for LL. All of that adds value to the land that LL profits from. 

I completely disagree with this. The merchant types you described above would not be "giving back massively" to the SL community, not if they did not contribute any L$ or USD to the world. What they would be doing is competing against and possibly taking business from other merchants that could be potentially supporting SL by doing everything your merchant does, but also paying tier and investing money in the world at the same time.

All you have described in your post is a someone who is having a free ride and leeching business away from others who choose to pay their way and support the company and world. Just because they are at the top of their ladder and feed content down to other businesses is irrelevant, because there are plenty of people willing and able to do that and pay their way at the same time. 

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Notice you had to use the IF.

I guess I'm just as guilty, as I made assumptions that were not obvious to all.

I was assuming that this merchant owns land and pays tier. Let me be more specific and just use myself as the example. I own a region on the mainland, in which supports 6 other merchants. Most of them, I don't charge rent to, and 2 of them that, I haphazardly charge rent, also live off their SL earnings. The land is also home to numerous people that just like to create and entertain friends, from which I get nothing from but knowing that they have a place to call home and they are all enjoying the place.

Besides making hundreds and hundreds of products that are totally and completely unique, I engage in countless actions that help others pay for things and enjoy SL. I have a money tree that give newbies free lindens and I've kept it filled for 6 years. This past year, I've not filled it as much, as I've noticed that most of the newbs are bots. Plus, I have a treasure chest that gives free lindens to any1.

My affiliate program helps to support a number of other sims that I know of, including quite a few very popular RPGs, that I will not mention here. They all make a significant amount of money off my products to pay for their own land with. I have not the time to know just how many affiliates I have, nor how many pieces of land that I help to support, but I do know it is substantial.

Although my role playing combat system is not super popular, it is 1 of a kind and a number of combat groups use it for hand to hand combat events. 1 of the largest MMA groups in SL holds weekly competitions with belt holders and attracts a very large audience. I try to goto the events on occasion and it always floors me how many people are involved. There are other groups that use the system, but I don't have as big of a relationship with them. I do know that I have over 2000 registered users of the system, and it has only been out for about a year and a half. The groups that use the system also own land and make money off the different items that the users have to buy to sustain their health and stamina. I also made the system in a way that any person could use the whole thing for free by coming to my land and eating fruit from my trees, and fighting against NPCs. Both these acts allows them to sustain their health and stamina.

At least, 4 sports systems in SL use my motion capture in their system, some of which at the most popular in SL, and I still work with a few whenever they improve them. There could be more using my animations, but I've been here for 6 years now and I can't possibly remember every1. I have people come to me daily and ask me if I'll make something for their RPG, Event, or whatever. They come to me because they can't find any1 else that knows enough to make what they need, or they like my peticular system, and no1 else knows how to make it. Of course, I don't code, and I had these items coded for me. My old coder still gets paid when anything is sold that includes his code. Don't ask him for the code, as he truly believes the code would never have been written without me. I've actually told him he should sell the code, but he won't.

I've yet to turn down donating products to large benefits, as long as they talk to me directly and don't just hand me a notecard. I'd be doing benefits weekly if I responded to every notecard sent to me. I gotta draw the line somewhere. Plus, I do buy stuff when I need it, and I never look for freebies. As many people know, I also try to answer almost every single animation queston in the forums, when I know the answer, and I get personal emails on a weekly basis concerning some1 who needs help with animation, or a program.

I don't say all this to impress any1, as I don't really care what any1 thinks. I point all this out to show that a merchant that lives off his earnings has a vast network that they support, and I'm sure I'm forgeting quite a bit. I'm not unique at all. I know quite a few people personally that live off their earnings, and they could give you very similar lists of things they are involved in, probably some doing much more than I. Are there merchants that only scam people and cash out? I'm sure there are, but I don't know any.

All that said, I don't feel a merchant needs to do anything more than make products that people enjoy. If they do that, and that alone, they are adding to the whole SL experience.

• 5 months later...

It all comes down to the ability to make a profit. Without that, most of of the content that is generated in SL would suck. Real professionals bring valuable changes to the way products are developed in SL; they raise the bar. The driving force that brings the real professionals into SL is the potential to make real money.

Now, as most people have discovered, there are a lot of big dreamers out there that want to make money, and try real hard, but don't. This also helps contribute to the positive evolution of SL, even if there is no profit in it. But if there were not people that actually made a living wage as an example to the rest of us, then most of these dreamers wouldn't even exist because the dream usually involves making money. If there was no money to be made, there would be no dream.

Even if there are those people that simply cash out and 'leech' off of SL, they are necessary as an inspiration to 'most' of us. We have to know that it is possible to make that kind of money. And also, it would be impossible for some of us to spend all of the money earned within SL unless we simply wanted to waste the money on things we dont need. I can already make anything I want (script, mesh, mocap, particles, games, avatars, ....), or I have already purchased everything that I need. The only thing left for me to do is to simply donate it all. But I can bet that every single person reading this would cash out if they were making more than $100 above tier each month.

In conclusion, I do cash out most of the money I earn, but I have been putting about $150 a month into SL for 4 years on tier, plus the small percentages on every item that sells goes to LL.

-Drake Faudeburgh

Have Fun Creating!

• 1 year later...

Perhaps an option to pay an additional fee (extra $2.50 USD for under $5000 USD cashout, and $5.00 USD for $5000 and higher cashouts) in order to have an instant transfer to paypal.

Alternatively, LL could calculate correct amounts that would cover the interest they would lose by not holding the USD for an extra 7 days.

Just a suggestion. Waiting 1-2 weeks is difficult for the ones who have their RL business in SL.

CDru

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.