How do I bulldozer terrain?

suzie2200

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Not sure what I am doing wrong to edit terrain. I am the landowner. This is what I did:

Right click, edit

select bulldozer, select flatten (there are huge stones that I need to remove)..

Select size and strength, apply.

Nothing happened and stones are still there. I am in Blacksilk Forrest. Thanks,

6 answers to this question

Right mouse click on the ground, choose Edit Terrain, an edit window will open.

You can apply changes to the entire plot by working only in the edit window,

or, you can adjust the sliders for strength, and size, for each of the land editing options, (raise, lower, smooth, etc.)

If you only want to work in one area of your land, you can Subdivide sections of land.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Editing-terrain/ta-p/700061

If you have permission from the landowner, you can terraform your parcel with the terraform toolset in your Build/Edit tool (CTRL + 3).  It's activated with the little bulldozer icon in the upper row of icons. 

Land owners or members of groups with the Always Allow Edit Terrain ability assigned to their role can edit terrain. Members in a role with this ability can edit terrain on a group-owned parcel.

32px-KBcaution.png

Important: Assigning Always Allow Edit Terrain to a group role gives the members in that role full access to the Edit Terrain tool. This includes the Abandon Land option.  For this reason, landowners are usually VERY cautious about assigning terraforming ability.

Also note that even if you have the ability, there are limits on how much you can change the land.

• Most mainland can be raised/lowered by 4 meters (+/-).
  • Some mainland cannot be terraformed, including: Bay City Regions, Blumfield, Boardman, Brown, De Haro, Nautilus City Regions, Nova Albion Regions, Shermerville Regions, and West Haven.
  • A few, very old mainland Regions like Da Boom have a terraform range of 40 meters (+/-).
  • Estate (private island) terraformability is settable to a maximum of 100 meters (+/-) by the estate owner or managers.

To learn more about terraforming, start here >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Editing-terrain/ta-p/700061 .  Please take the advice in that page seriously: "Before trying this tool on your own land, teleport here, where Torley Linden has set up a Terraform Box. Test the Edit Terrain tool and become comfortable with it, then head to your own land to terraform with confidence."

The important point (seems to me) is the STONES you want removed. The stones are NOT part of the land, they are prims. So to remove the stone you would normally right click and return or delete.  Look in your LAND tab under OBJECTS and make sure you have sent back all objects owned by others (asuming you want to do that of course). The land tools let you raise, lower and smooth the LAND, not the objects on the land. Hence, it seems, your issue :D

Good luck.

To get rid of them, right click the stones and either take/delete them if they are yours, or choose 'return' to return them to the rightful owners inventory.

The 'bulldozer' build menu is only for terraforming, meaning the ground. Everything that you place on that ground will not be affected by that menu.

There is another possibility here that the other helpful people may have missed.

Terraforming limits are based on the last saved terraforming state for the sim, as saved by the sim owner. As a parcel owner, assuming you have the ability to terraform the land, you can change the land height values to a certain range above or below that saved baseline - typically +/- 4 Meters on the mainland, and up to +/- 100 Meters on private sims.

Now assume for a moment that Linden Lab designed your mainland parcel with a couple of bumps that are at 25 M at the peaks, and a river that is at 14 M at the river bottom. With a +/- 4M terraform limit, there is no way to move the river bottom up enough and the bumps down enough to make the whole area flat. The bumps will stop going lower when they get to 21 Meters. The river will stop coming up when it gets to 18 Meters. So the river will still be 2M below the default water level in the sim, and the bumps 1 M above water level, no matter what you atempt to terraform with.

On the mainland, you simply have to accept that some parcels can not be flattened completely. LL never re-bakes the terrain for a sim, so the default limits are always based on how they originally designed that sim.

On a private sim, you can ask the sim owner to save the RAW file for the sim, which resets the baseline to the current terrain shape. Or you can ask them to increase the terraform limits so you have sufficient range to do what you want.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.