Anyone know what's happened to Four Winds?

Julala Demina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Four Winds Estates sims appear to be constantly offline or unavailable.  All marketplace trading seems also to have stopped.  Seems to have disappeared off of the grid.

LL cant help with any information, the last blog entry was May - have emailed owner but no response.

So wishing I have bought those houses when I saw them!!!!!  Dammit! :matte-motes-crying:

Checking with the gridsurvey website, it looks like your favourite sims have been given up and removed, around 8th September 2012. As wrable says, for whatever reasons, costs or otherwise, sims do come and go. :matte-motes-frown:

http://gridsurvey.com/index.php

http://gridsurvey.com/display.php?id=75991

http://gridsurvey.com/display.php?id=75728

http://gridsurvey.com/display.php?id=64344

I am in a designer group that received regular updates from Four Winds.  I love their builds as well.  In fact the build that houses my in world store is from them and I have several of their steampunk builds I collected from hunts.

It came to my attention that Four Winds moved to InWorldz quite awhile ago. They operated on both grids simultaneously for awhile, but, over the last few months, maybe 6 or more, the designer notices from Four Winds in SL were advertising sales, noting they had scaled down their number of sims in SL, etc.  After reading the OP, I realized I haven't received a Four Winds notice for quite awhile.

I just popped into IW to double-check if Four Winds is indeed still there.  IW's search is weird (seems to be the way of search) and I had difficulty looking up "Four Winds" so I did a search on the merchant, Koshari Mahana.  Her profile listed locations to IW Four Winds in picks, but  teleports were not working for me in IW.  Will have to check back later today.

I found this post: http://kosharimahana.blogspot.com/2011/07/economy-stinks-so-second-life-or.html

which indicates Four Winds does not have a sim in IW at the time of that posting, but I couldn't find a date on it anywhere.  The post does illuminate why Four Winds has chosen not to remain in SL.

Oh, what a shame.  So many lovely and awesome places and goods are leaving lately.  However, there are also new excellent ones coming.  However, this is sad news indeed.  Koshari's builds have been in SL as far back as I can remember.  Shame that she didn't keep her MP listing though.  Her work seems, rather seemed, to have been very popular.  Many times, you can find a Four Winds house or piece of furnishing while traveling.  Regardless where Koshari went, I wish her the best of luck and propserity.

wrable Amat wrote:

I wish when we leave we had a option to place our builds in a  free archive that new users could access for free use and could see what the past has produced in SL.

Well .. you can now. Since DD doesn't depend on a rezzed item for delivery, you can upload your stuff for Direct Delivery on the Marketplace, set them to "Free" ... and log out .. never to return. Near as I can tell the Marketplace has no mechanism now nor any plans to add one that detects and deletes the items from a "Dead" account.

Julala Demina wrote:

The Four Winds Estates sims appear to be constantly offline or unavailable.  All marketplace trading seems also to have stopped.  Seems to have disappeared off of the grid.

LL cant help with any information, the last blog entry was May - have emailed owner but no response.

So wishing I have bought those houses when I saw them!!!!!  Dammit! :matte-motes-crying:

This is so sad. Four Winds was a major major player for Victorian builds in Second Life. For quality, few other builders could match it. In fact, Four Winds may have been the best when it comes to quality. I have a few of Four Wind builds, and now I wish I had more. I used to spend hours looking at their builds admiring the work that was put into them.

JohnMiddlefield wrote:

Julala Demina wrote:

This is so sad. Four Winds was a major major player for Victorian builds in Second Life. For quality, few other builders could match it. In fact, Four Winds may have been the best when it comes to quality. I have a few of Four Wind builds, and now I wish I had more. I used to spend hours looking at their builds admiring the work that was put into them.

Same.  I spent most of my time shopping the Victorian builds since that is a key interest of mine in SL (Victorian sims/rp) but, the last time I was at Four Winds in SL, they had areas for merfolk, steampunk, elven, various fantasy type builds, and several others I'm probably forgetting.  I found it fascinating to just wander around their sims because the builds were laid out and presented as actual cities/towns instead of just products.

Haven't tried to log back into IW, but, from talking to a good friend who is now strictly in IW, I'm pretty sure Four Winds is there.

ETA: I am not by any means promoting IW.  Those who know me well understand. ;)  Just stating where I believe Four Winds to be for those interested.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

wrable Amat wrote:

I wish when we leave we had a option to place our builds in a  free archive that new users could access for free use and could see what the past has produced in SL.

Well .. you can now. Since DD doesn't depend on a rezzed item for delivery, you can upload your stuff for Direct Delivery on the Marketplace, set them to "Free" ... and log out .. never to return. Near as I can tell the Marketplace has no mechanism now nor any plans to add one that detects and deletes the items from a "Dead" account.

This was raised as an issue both before and during the development of Direct Delivery.

I've said it before but at minimum, i'd like to see the last log on date of the merchant on the listing itself.

Simple, effective.

From their web page....

'To buy a full region in Second Life there is a $1000.00 set up fee (15,000 prims)
To buy a full region in InWorldz there is a $75.00 set up fee (45,000 prims)

Second Life tier is $295.00 a month
InWorldz tier is $75.00 a month (I'm pretty sure this hasn't changed)'

But she does admit that she really doesnt do much other than build things. If you like to explore the grid like I do, there really isn't much to explore over there in InWorldz and Avination still, so until that changes somehow, the much smaller costs arent going to make much difference in causing any sort of exodus from S.L. to the alternatives.

Spica Inventor wrote:

From their web page....

'To buy a full region in
there is a
$1000.00 set up fee
(15,000 prims)

To buy a full region in
there is a
$75.00 set up fee
(45,000 prims)

Second Life tier is
$295.00
a month

InWorldz tier is
$75.00
a month (I'm pretty sure this hasn't changed)'

But she does admit that she really doesnt do much other than build things. If you like to explore the grid like I do, there really isn't much to explore over there in InWorldz and Avination still, so until that changes somehow, the much smaller costs arent going to make much difference in causing any sort of exodus from S.L. to the alternatives.

I didn't say it would...in fact in one post in this thread I stated I am *not* advocating IW; just answering the OP as to what happened to this merchant and included the blog link so those interested could see what she said in her own words about making the move.

The thread subject is about *one* merchant, not a discussion on any "exodus" to alternative worlds. ;)

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.