Rest In Peace Neil

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've always felt those guys were maybe even gutsier than the early explorers, the ones who would sail into unknown waters just to see what was there. Neither the early explorers nor the lunar astronauts could know if they'd ever get home, but the latter would actually be able to see their home even while being impossibly distant, should things go wrong.

They were as tough as any who went before them. Maybe even tougher.

Astronaut Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on moon, dies at age 82

Internet responds to death of Neil Armstrong

One small step for a man

First Moonwalker

“For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.” 

Neil A. Armstrong  (1930 – 2012) » Archive » Statement from the Family of Neil Armstrong

His comments at the end of his acceptance speech are so amazing.   He likens his accomplishment to running a relay race that he had the privilege of running the final leg and accepts the award on behalf of all who ran before him.

Truly a great man.

Neil A. Armstrong was born Aug. 5, 1930, in Wapakoneta, Ohio. He earned an aeronautical engineering degree from Purdue University and a master's in aerospace engineering from the University of Southern California.

He was a naval aviator from 1949 to 1952. During the Korean War he flew 78 combat missions.

In 1955 he joined the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA), NASA's predecessor, as a research pilot at Lewis Laboratory in Cleveland.

Armstrong later transferred to NACA's High Speed Flight Research Station at Edwards AFB, Calif. As project pilot, he was in the forefront of the development of many high-speed aircraft, including the X-15, which flew at 4,000 mph.

He flew more than 200 aircraft models. They included jet and rocket-powered planes, helicopters and gliders.

Armstrong was selected as an astronaut in 1962.

His first space flight was Gemini 8, which he commanded. He was the first civilian to fly a U.S. spacecraft. With fellow astronaut David R. Scott, Armstrong performed the first docking in space, with an Agena target satellite.

Apollo 11 lifted off on July 16, 1969, with Armstrong, Aldrin and Mike Collins aboard. Collins remained in lunar orbit in the command module while Armstrong and Aldrin descended in the lunar module they had named Eagle to their historic landing on the moon's surface.

"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed," Armstrong said, telling a tense and waiting Earth that men had finally reached the lunar surface.

Seventeen countries decorated Armstrong. He received many special honors, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Congressional Space Medal of Honor, NASA's Ambassador of Exploration Award, the Explorers Club Medal, the Robert H. Goddard Memorial Trophy, the NASA Distinguished Service Medal, the Harmon International Aviation Trophy, the Royal Geographic Society's Gold Medal, the Federation Aeronautique Internationale's Gold Space Medal, the American Astronautical Society Flight Achievement Award, the Robert J. Collier Trophy, the AIAA Astronautics Award, the Octave Chanute Award, and the John J. Montgomery Award.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/people/features/armstrong_obit.html

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I've always felt those guys were maybe even gutsier than the early explorers, the ones who would sail into unknown waters just to see what was there. Neither the early explorers nor the lunar astronauts could know if they'd ever get home, but the latter would actually be able to
see
their home even while being impossibly distant, should things go wrong.

Good stuff. You raise a good point.. They definitely had some cahonies LOL

Some beautiful posts in here. 

I was going to say, he has left for the vast frontier which remains a sheer mystery for us all, one which some fear, some dread, some approach with joy, and some believe does not exist. But last thing I want is a religious debate, so I will just say rest in peace, traveler.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.