How to see what country an avi is from?

conrad Evanier

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all i have been asked to ceate a greeter that could list the avi names and what county they are in, a nice idea that got me interested so i started to look into it.  Now as far as i can see you could only do this by checking the persons ip address which i think would be in breach of terms of use so i dont think il bother with it. Any ways i thought i would ask on here if there was any other way like get data, best i could see from that would be getting the default language of their viewer but this would not be a good indication of the country they are in. Any ideas would be welcome thanks for looking :)

I can't see any sane way to do it, I'm afraid.

As you say, the only information you can get from the viewer is the language, with llGetAgentLanguage.   To get their location, you would need to sniff their IP address and, while I guess you might stay within ToS if you IM'd your greeting to them (i.e. didn't share their location in public chat with anyone who might be listening) you'd inevitably upset a lot of people to whom you were just trying to say "Hello," which isn't really what you want a greeter to do.   It would creep me out, certainly, to be thus greeted, and I almost certainly wouldn't go back to wherever it was.

*raises his paw still frightened*  I think there is a fundamental flaw: You are talking about where the person behind the ava could be from. But that wasn't the question. Me, Darkie, is from a place that is in no way related to where the person behind me is from.

ETA:

As far as I know, in the worls I'm from, the don't even have IP addresses 

Various levels of privacy protection laws prohibit disclosure of that information by Linden Labs, and rightly so.

What's next, do you want to harvest the creditcard numbers of your visitors as well, maybe their social security numbers, passport numbers?

Hello again everyone this post grew legs didnt it lmao @ jwenting and a few others that seem a bit confused about what my post was.  Basicaly i had a customer ask if i could make a greeter for them to show the flag of the country the last visiter was in with a list of names and their country, not a bad idea i thought so i looked into it and found they only way to do this was check the ip address, SO i posted on here to see if there was anyother way to do this.  As i can see theres not and to be honest have lost any interest in this bleeding greeter lol, but it did make me laugh going from a lil greeter to jwenting ranting about credit card details lmao tooo funny maybe a lil to much caffeine hey mate lmao still it made me smile:)

Not ranting, just explaining why such things are a very bad idea... And yes, once people start asking private data from total strangers and those total strangers start giving it without being able to stop, where will it end?

Maybe this time it's "just" the country, next time someone wants to have their full home address and telephone number so they can "send a gift".

LOL... The OP knew that in the beginning.  He said...

"Now as far as i can see you could only do this by checking the persons ip address which i think would be in breach of terms of use so i dont think il bother with it. Any ways i thought i would ask on here if there was any other way like get data ...."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.