New to the market

Syo Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

a couple of months ago I opened a shop at the marketplace just out of fun and more like "Oh I wonder what happen if I click that button". I learned some basics about making tattoos...just for the fun of it and to try it. Well, since the new direct delivery this trying is quite comfortable.
 I have one tattoo which sells from time to time, but now I wonder what kind of product would be an option to really try to make myself a tiny, but well running shop. I don't expect to get richt, just to cover the little shopping needs I have from time to time (ok, and feeling a little proud :catembarrassed:).

Now my question to the experianced merchants: What would you suggest to get into as a beginner? What product could the market need? Where is the competition to hard, the market to over-satisfied with? I just want to find something worth to invest time in it. Something where I doesn't experiance after weeks that my new skills doesn't turn out to be non selling at all :catwink:

I've always thought clothing is the most needed marketing since every single avatar wears them...unless of course you are a nudist :)  But then again, it's also probably the most saturated. So i don't know how that balances out in the world. A few of my friends have started with clothing and are making some extra lindens to support their SL habit. But I'm sure some of the bigger clothing retailers could give more input on that. Furniture is also another good one, but again also very saturated and very expensive to do if you don't make your own sculps.

What consumers want more than anything else is simply more choices.

Making better stuff is naturally a good idea, but you'll sell more if you trust consumers to tell you which things your making are the better ones, simply by buying more of them or buying them at a higher price.

But before they can do that, you probably need to help them out by offering them as many different things as you can, given your resources, skill set, and other constrains such as time. 

Create with passion and quality. Even if the idea sounds bizarre, go for it. Hair, clothing and shoes are quite popular. If you don't create your own sculpt or mesh, it definitely can get expensive but it doesn't have to be. If you don't have much to work with, I'd stick with the basics then work my way up. Some creators are willing to offer their full perm products for as low as free; these could help a ton. Improve your skills as much as you can until you're ready to take it to the next step. Take advantage of the test grid (Aditi) when working with textures, sculpts, mesh, and etc... to save lindens. When in Aditi, you can build/create to your heart's desire without cost! = D Just know that what you've created and saved in your inventory does not affect what you have on the main grid. I wish you goodluck!

-Solita

My advice to you as a smaller merchant who creates for pretty much the same reasons as you indicate is to create what inspires you, then use the various marketing tools in SL (designer groups, hunts, etc.) to let potential customers know your creations exist.

When I first began SL I said I would NEVER do three things:

1) Have a premium account

2) Buy land

3) Own a business

Over time I've done all three...lol.  The first year I was in SL I explored the grid, doing all kinds of fun things.  I spent the second year of my SL taking classes, mainly building classes, often 3 a day.  I learned the basics of building with prims and made a variety of products ranging from furniture to fashion.  I found my "niche" in small home furnishings.

When I look through the MP or visit stores I would never have heard of otherwise by going on hunts, it never ceases to amaze me what sells.  Just because I, in a million years, would never buy xyz product, doesn't mean there aren't many who will, which goes back to - I don't think you can go wrong by creating whatever inspires you, makes you smile, gives you enjoyment.  That attitude will come through in your creations vs. just creating what one thinks is the new hot item.

I wish you a lot of fun and success in your new venture!!  If you ever want to chat, please feel free to IM me in world or send a PM here on the forums.

My first advice is don't be a merchant, your SL is over!

Second, sell what you find fun to make.  For many of us, we made something that amused us, or was something we couldn't find and just "put it up for sale", the rest is history (now read point one again).

What to sell?  SEX STUFF, because LL says so!

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Selling-in-the-Marketplace/ta-p/700193

Specifically:-

Take a walk on the wild side. It's a fact of life  controversial things sell.

If you want to sell a high-volume item, consider creating "Adult" paraphernalia, weapons, or counter-culture items. However, keep the following things in mind:

•  You can be successful without venturing down this road — you may just have to work a little harder.
  •  You still need to focus on quality, or you won't have many repeat customers.
  •  You are venturing into a highly established market. To stand out from the competition, you will need to develop some strong marketing strategies.

Sassy Romano wrote:

My first advice is don't be a merchant, your SL is over!

Heh...you're not far off on that one. *Grins*  I have one friend who keeps telling me I need to get out and have fun.  I'm at the point now that I turn down some "dates" if I'm in creative mode and knee-deep in a new build.  And my business is small...lol.

We have free choice, of course, and can decide how much time we want to devote to our businesses and how much time to do other things in SL, but when the "Business Bug" bites it can sometimes take over.

Shift G at the login page, then select the beta grid from the grids dialog but it's only got any value if you want to avoid mesh upload costs while trying things.  There's not much point for other things as you can load local textures to try them on to see what they look like prior to upload.

A.  Do not use kits,be unique .

B Go into this as a hobby,you seem to have the right idea s far as goals being small cost and doing it to have fun.

C. Hang in there when times are slow and keep your eyes on the prize of having fun and low over head.

D.If things start really going good ,grow slow and understand in day you can go from 30kL a day to 1kL a a day..this can really screw up people who charge it hard after a few good months and invest in lots of over head cost in hopes it will gain them more value due to the growth.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Hello everyone,

a couple of months ago I opened a shop at the marketplace just out of fun and more like "Oh I wonder what happen if I click that button". I learned some basics about making tattoos...just for the fun of it and to try it.

Now my question to the experianced merchants: What would you suggest to get into as a beginner?

There is no such thing as a market that will garantee succes to a beginning creator.

What you have done so far is exactly the right thing. "Just for the fun of it and to try it."

My advise is: stay curious, keep learning and dare to dream.

You might not have discovered your passion yet. For some people it is very clear from the beginning, when you are a for example a shoe addict in real life, and as soon as they discover SL the dream is to have a their own shoeshop one day. For others is it not so much the concrete objects they are interested in, but the passion is about a medium, for example movie making, or scripting, or creating textures in Photoshop or Gimp.

Once you discover what your passion is about and you start making products driven by passion, there will be a market for your products, definitely. But it is not garanteed that you will reach the customers who are willing to buy your products. In other words: 'being in the heart of your creativity' is the drive that opens the market for you, but you will need good marketing skills as much to make potential customers aware of your creative work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.