Underwear with mesh?

sooby Mills

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have recently started to love mesh clothing,and i notice that when i accidentally looked up my dress (no i dont make a habit of it:) ) that i could see the gap left by the alpha layer, so im not sure if underwear id necessary? Has anyone any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance

I hate the transparent view myself.  Some makers have a dark inside layer to thier dresses, giving a fade to black effect which is a big improvement, but I don't like that very much either. 

So, before I buy a mesh dress, I have a close look at the demo, and see if it will lends itself to a custom alpha layer that does not mask out the crotch or inner thighs.  I also have a close look at how well the dress follows my "standard shape" AV when I move, especially dancing.  If I can fix the crotch, and patch up the alpha mask so I can dance and stay mostly within the dress, then I can enjoy my mesh and my undies, and not look like a hollow ghost if I happen to kick my leg up while dancing.

Rhys Goode wrote:

... then I can enjoy my mesh and my undies, and not look like a hollow ghost if I happen to kick my leg up while dancing.

The hollow ghost created by the alpha mask is very bad (if one can see it).  It's especially bad in shorts.  I have tried some demos and they look very bad when sitting down on a chair.  One can see how the thighs abruptly end where the alpha mask starts.  All shorts demos what I have tried so far have this problem.  The effect is rather bad in skirts too if one happens to look down there.  Well, some tops suffer from this bad effect too.  The tops should be filled with boobs (naturally) but often one can see that it's all hollow there!  :matte-motes-agape:

I like mesh clothes, even have found some excellent ones.  Really great.  However in some clothes the alpha mask, what can be seen as the hollow ghost effect, ruins the else fantastic clothing item.

Hopefully the mesh deformer works so well that alpha masks would not be needed at all.  We might get as a Christmas present this year.  If all goes well..  :smileytongue:

Rhys Goode wrote:

So, before I buy a mesh dress, I have a close look at the demo, and see if it will lends itself to a custom alpha layer that does not mask out the crotch or inner thighs.  I also have a close look at how well the dress follows my "standard shape" AV when I move, especially dancing.  If I can fix the crotch, and patch up the alpha mask so I can dance and stay mostly within the dress, then I can enjoy my mesh and my undies, and not look like a hollow ghost if I happen to kick my leg up while dancing.

I too, tend to make my own alpha mask.  I think a lot of designers are just lazy, and make their alpha masks a lot more extensive than they need to be.  IMHO, alpha masks should not make any part of the avatar transparent that can be seen when the mesh clothing is worn, unless it is essential, and, if it's essential, the designer needs to revisit the clothing design.

I have mesh clothing that came with alpha masks that make transparent gaps OUTSIDE the clothing, so that legs end several centimeters below skirts, or chest ends several cm above neckline.  Shame on the designers!

One of my pet peeves is that designers usually don't include the full perm alpha mask texture to make it easy for me to tweak the mask, and I have to start from scratch making one.

• 2 weeks later...

UncommonTruth wrote:

My male friends tell me they always do panty checks when there's a skirt around lol. I sometimes do too >.> Sooo, for me, panties are a must ^.^

/me thinks that men are built that way, something happens in their mind when they see a woman... :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

desismileys_0160.gif  hubbahubba.gif

hubbahubba-90deg.gif

Innula Zenovka wrote:

This brings back memories -- before my time, but I heard about it -- of the infamous
 (or should that the "the infamous Taco Rubio's Upskirt Museum"?).

That is classic!

I'd been trying to think of something to do to wile away my time.

My goal.......1,000 upskirts!

Do you think I'll be able to charge an admission fee?

Coby Foden wrote:

UncommonTruth wrote:

My male friends tell me they always do panty checks when there's a skirt around lol. I sometimes do too >.> Sooo, for me, panties are a must ^.^

/me thinks that men are built that way, something happens in their mind when they see a woman... :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

desismileys_0160.gif

hubbahubba.gif

hubbahubba-90deg.gif

We don't have to see a woman....all we need to do is think about one.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

This brings back memories -- before my time, but I heard about it -- of the infamous
 (or should that the "the infamous Taco Rubio's Upskirt Museum"?).

That is classic!

I'd been trying to think of something to do to wile away my time.

My goal.......1,000 upskirts!

Do you think I'll be able to charge an admission fee?

Go for it!  I'll happily model for it in one of my more outrageous outifts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.