Advertising, doing it wrong?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Yes, I could see that as a potential oopsie.  Another way to see it is the 'What not to wear' is a commentary on the way the avatar is dressed.  She is in the shop to go from 'what not...' to 'what to....'  Sound convincing?

Uhm...yeah I see what you mean, after giving it some thought. But my first impression (and we all know how that works) was: oh, uhm,so that sort of clothing is NOT good!

It is, or was, a popular tv show that transformed not so fashion conscious persons into fashionably dressed persons.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/what-not-to-wear

Stacy London is obnoxiously charming :)

After nine seasons of TLC's What Not to Wear, co-host Stacy London attributes much of the show's longevity to its guests who agree to purge their wardrobes. "They sort of let go of their old ideas about themselves, and allowed the process to work. And that's why the show, I think, succeeds."

So, for the demographic that watches the show, seeing it mentioned in relation to fashion may be rather appealing.

Its also a current episode of the show that ambushes a gamer who has a Sailor Moon obsessions by bringin her to a fake demo of a new video game - shot inside of SL.

The sim it was shot in is now also in the Destination Guide.

The hosts of the show wear some coldlogic outfits for the short scene that takes place in SL.

- The demo looks a bit faked though, a few things occur that are not SL possible, such as when the guest does an Anime martial arts routine (that I think was added in post production, as it looks faked). And one has to wonder how she managed to log into SL on the first ever time, and have an avatar already made up to look a bit like her RL self...

- and either not realize this was clearly faked... or something...

Can see the video from a link here:

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2012/07/what-not-to-wear-second-life.html#more

The above said the woman in question is a pretty heavy gamer, and was a genuinely nice person.

At this point she likely has ended up spending some time here among us in SL - she might even end up reading this post...

Yeah and it is totally faked and not actual game footage, otherwise, the episode would have lasted like 3 hours waiting for them to find a name that wasn't taken, figure out how to move, wait for everything to rez, and even figure out how to change outfits, use voice, fix voice, unpack a box, not wear a box, get a hug ao, etc etc :P

The part where they are like, what time is it though is so totally real.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Yeah and it is totally faked and not actual game footage, otherwise, the episode would have lasted like 3 hours waiting for them to find a name that wasn't taken, figure out how to move, wait for everything to rez, and even figure out how to change outfits, use voice, fix voice, unpack a box, not wear a box, get a hug ao, etc etc
:P

To say nothing of the quick outfit changes, something I bet the majority of us still do mostly in private, having been caught with missing garments or even worse at one point or another. Even so it was pretty nicely done and I loved how he lost RL focus and started clicking a lot at the end :-).

Heheh.."What Not to Wear" sounds bad, but it's not. It was a pretty good fashion show in Britain, founded by Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine. They met while squiffy at a dinner party, hated each other immediately, then made a great friendship and successful enterprise as fashion advisors. Their telly show/s was/were a hit, and helped loads of British ladies rediscover their feelings of personal worth, while giving Susannah a chance to cop a feel of each woman's bum while announcing "yeaah pretty firm no cellulite here". They ended up taking the show to other countries (Australia loved them when they turned up to make sure we all were wearing proper fitting bras, and even I was guilted into going in for a proper measure-&-fit at my local lingerie store).

Looks like there's an American offshoot, and I'm not surprised.

I'd like a chance to see the SL episode....the promo is quite positive, but it sounds like the whole episode tells another story.

Damien Fate wrote:

An avatar was prepared for her to log in to. The footage was actually shot live with a couple of minor pickup shots after - it was a logistical nightmare but mostly went down as you saw on the show.

Ah, thanks for stepping in on this, Damien. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Thanks all for the more detailed back ground info, I admit..I didn't know. Somehow I managed to miss all that!

I only saw the entry in the Destination Guide and the combination of the title with the fashion made me giggle.

Yesterday I visited that sim, Stiletto Planet - thinking it was some sort of shoe-heaven...but, it turned out to be a new 'orientation' island place, pretty cool designed and I think very helpful for new residents!

I did try to buy some stuff, but even though it showed the LS sign when hovering, the items (clothing) seemed not for sale. I saw on the profile feeds that I was not the only one, someone already pointed it out to Damien.

Anyway, I will have to watch the video and meantime: The sim, stiletto planet - is great to send new residents to, for basic help!

One of the comments in the NWN blog link I provided has the full episode.

After that short scene it never goes back to SL, but it gets pretty darned geeky.

The island looks like it is designed to appear like the Orientation islands that were around for a few weeks in 2010, but not actually be a functional version. That was one of LLs better designed new spots, which I guess is why it got canned so fast. On the other hand, it was the kind of spot newbies could become glued in - not knowing where to go next.

Anyways, I got a message from Damien (via feeds) about why the stuff appears not for sale on Stiletto Planet, and it seems that this sim is just a Machinima Prop Set and NOT the real deal.

The real new orientation island is this: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SL%20DiscoveryIsland%20Public6/119/131/27.

Oddly enough the destination Guide features  the 'set' and brings you there, and not the discovery island which actually works, hence..I still find it all a bit  strangely advertised.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.