Normal Maps

Sess Metaller

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering the saMe thing....

Has anyone used the Generate Normals  feature on the uploader? I was wondering if it was the same as making normal maps

Generate Normals: Provides options for generating surface normals on your model, affecting its shading and appearance of "hardness" along edges between vertices.

Generate normals will apply smooth shading to edges sharper than the angle specified. In Blender, smooth shading faces causes smooth shading with the same effect. The Edge split modifier allows you to control it by angle, like Generate normals, and/or by explicitly applying Sharp to edges.

Both metods will reduce the download weight because vertices on sharp edges have to be repeated with each different normal of faces that touch them. For smooth vertices, all the faces have the same normal at the vertex*.

There is an important difference between the uploader Generate normals and the smooth shading in Blender, that makes the Blender one usually preferable. The uploader version does not smooth across UV seams, while the Blender one does.

Whoops - thought I should check, as that was from long ago and I don't use Generate normals. It has been corrected now. The uploader will smooth across UV seams

*as long as all th edges meeting at it are smoothed.

• Like 1

"...I use the "Mark Sharp" function in blender, and export the DAE..."

Yes, provided... The mark sharp is an instruction to the Edge split modifier. So you have to add that modifier to see the effect, and then apply it to get the effect exported. Then it will make the marked edges sharp in the collada and the uploaded mesh.It will also sharpen them according to face angles if you leave thaty checkbox checked. HGaving lots of sharp edges will increase your download weight, as will using shade flat.

Note that in BNlender 2.63, you have to actually apply the modifier to bget it exported. I usually save, apply and export, then undo the apply or reload the file, so that I can change my mind. In the forthcoming 2.64, you will be able to ask the exporter to apply modifiers (to a copy) so you don't have to revert it explicitly. That's the way it was in 2.49b.

In 2.64 - or right now, if you build Blender from svn yourself or use a later version downloaded from graphicall.org - you will indeed be able to have modifiers applied at export time. But the last time I checked this in a build from svn, it did not work on rigged meshes. This will hopefully be fixed and working before 2.64 is released.

- Luc -

Hi, Luc;

Can you exactly describe what does not work for you ? I am not aware of a problem with apply modifiers, but if you can find a reproducible issue, then please create a test blend file and add a report to the blender bug tracker which describes how the issue can be reproduced. Or send it to me if you prefer :)

Hi Gaia.

Admittedly, it is a while since I tried to apply modifiers on export for rigged mesh. I only tried a couple of times using one of the early versions of the feature. I couldn't make it work - the modifiers was not applied - so I went back to 'the old way'. :)

I will build a fresh version of Blender from svn, test this thouroughly and, if you don't mind since I haven't set up a bug-tracker profile, send you the details if I have issues making it work. I think you've probably done quite a bit of work on this since I tried it last, so hopefully, I can make it work now.

- Luc -

This time 'Apply modifiers' worked. (Blender 2.63.13 r48273 on MacOS X 10.7.4)

But I came across a different issue. Perhaps it is by design? I had to check 'Include armature' in the Export data options section of the exporter for any rigging info to be included in the dae file (joints, vertex weights and so on). With the option unchecked, and no rigging data in tile, I could not check (naturally) 'Include skin weight' in the SL uploader.

Let me know if you need any more information - dae files, system info, or anything else.

- Luc -

Yes, you uncovered this precisely :)

Blender will change its export behaviour and you HAVE to include the armature in the future if you want to see any animation data (including weights and skeleton). The fact that blender exported the mesh weights even without a skeleton has been identified as an inconsistency and so it was removed.

I wil setup an extra thread here for this message to spread around :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.