Whats going on?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I may have seen this issue before in instances of a failing hard drive or one with a slow spin-up rate. Like the Western Digital 'Green' series drives (it's possible it would happen on a laptop, too). If you spend a long time idling together (in IM, or otherwise not moving around much), and don't have many other SL friends logging in and out, your drive may go to 'sleep' and not wake up fast enough when SL needs to create the "X.Y is now offline" floater. This slow spin-up speed can be so slow that your Operating System just aborts the process (usually it just kills SL with no obvious error message).

If you're on an OS with 'Power Management' options, disable any system that could send your drives to sleep due to inactivity. If you are on a laptop, this will reduce battery lifetime significantly.

If this doesn't help, and you're worried your drive may be slowing down or otherwise failing (unusual grinding noises, slow boot times, lots of blurry textures in-world), follow your hard drive manufacturers advice or replace it.

TL;DR I can't be sure this is the same issue I saw, but this can be worth a try.

ETA: I just thought of something else, too. Does it happen when your partner TPs to a different sim?

Are you both on poseballs when this happens?

It's been a long time since this occurred to me but a couple of years ago I used to have this happen.  I never figured out a cause and it stopped of it's own accord.  So you are not the only one that has experienced this. 

Perhaps it is causing a scripting error that is causing you to crash.  Maybe a scripter will show up and give some input.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.