Good places to find friends?

Naminestolenheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nope - the majority doesn't want to talk....if you're outside their clique. Even the hosts/DJs in clubs are often too wrapped up in their social circle to even greet new arrivals any more. Sad, really. And if you IM someone first to say hello or introduce yourself, if you get a response - big if - it's usually one word and goes no further.

Same boat with me lol =P

I normally look at random groups of things I like and spark up conversations there but they just never really go furthur.

I don't get clubs because I'm normal the avatar who whenever makes a comment to join it's not responded or acknowledged.

Do as I do, create something of interest that people like and make friends with your customers <_< it's sad but it's how I survive the dreadest lonliness that Second Life some how brings!

I'm going to agree and say that on the few occasions i've attended a club, no-one EVER IMs me and the local chat is dead in the water, too.  Idk why this is 'cos i've made friends everywhere else i go, often when just out shopping or exploring.  If i do happen to be at a club and i'm not with anyone, i always end up just taking snapshots of my avie.  Sigh.

Syo Emerald wrote:

If everyone in a club just waits for the others to IM them or to start a conversation......then I won't wonder about everyone being silent.

Mostly this. I find it important to take into consideration that a lot of SL users are introverts, simply because those are the types most likely to flourish despite the barriers of SL. A little hi, a wave, a nod of recognition, or a friendly IM saying "I love what you've done with your <Clothing Item>!" will get you engaging with people faster than anything. Alternatively, find a place with a theme (musical genres, film types, something to have 'in common' with others) and have an opinion!

Put effort in and you'll get effort out, because the reality is that 99.9% of people are ALSO looking for you to start a conversation with them.

Senobia Xenga wrote:

Nope - the majority doesn't want to talk....if you're outside their clique. Even the hosts/DJs in clubs are often too wrapped up in their social circle to even greet new arrivals any more. Sad, really. And if you IM someone first to say hello or introduce yourself, if you get a response - big if - it's usually one word and goes no further.

This is the clique called SL. It's sad because this is true as a new resident to SL completely. I am starting to hate clubs because everyone ignores you even if you IM them first, or try and talk to them in local. IF you get a response it is a one worded reply for the most part, I noticed too. LOL The cliques are why I am not making real new friends on SL, though. :/

I'm new as well, my old account got  hacked since I took a break from sl.  I lost most of my old friends because I haven't signed over a year and a half. I do admit It's really hard to make friends on here. It's very clicky especially, if your not a least a month old. because most jobs and certain groups require to be at least a month old before apply for one. Lot of things on here that I like, require me to be a month old even though, I have an alternate account. If you still want a friend you can message me and we can hangout :).

It would be ideal for people to change in SL but unfortunately it is just like RL, and RL high school at that in some places on the grid. Just like most have already stated there are cliques and it doesn't make out for a friendly invite to start up chat with anyone.

Naminestolenheart, maybe try and think of things that might interest you, search for them and TP there and see what happens. In the past, I've found that by just TPing to places other then clubs, etc, people are mostly alone which makes it a little easier for starting conversations. Also classes within sl, maybe there are classes of things that you might have interest in and you can chat with others that can end up in friendships.

• 5 weeks later...

I too am techncally new to SL, Although I started about 2 years ago and quit for this reason. I often find myself overwhelmed with ALL the places there are to go. So I fel lost and alone. Now still I find myself feeling like th OP. This game is HUGE and spread out. Useing the destination tab send me to places with very little acyivity even though it showed haveing 25 people in there. I think interaction with the local wild life at a club is just like a real club. If you don't have the satus your ignored. What I have found myself doing latly to combat this is just talking in genral chat. Once I start getting in there and talking people start talking back.. simple "hey how is everyone doing tonight" get a few responses...then a few compliment to the dj and host...start dancing and haveing fun listening to the music..before you kno ims are flying around. Unfortunately I'm not here to get a girl. I'm here for fun,music and exploreing. So if your want to engage in friendship you've gotta come outta your she'll and blow up the gen chat...

• 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.