Inventory... maddening...... gah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Somewehre along the way, either I have forgotten something, or an option has been removed.  Hopefully, someone can shed some light on this.

I want to disable, kill, utterly destroy... That lovely 'feature' that causes my inventory to ignore the fact that I am merrily clicking my way down through sub-folders looking for something, and suddenly jumps instead to the last folder I was in, or one I was in yesterday...  or maybe one I thought about last week.

This has got to be the most aggravating thing ever, especially when you are trying to sort things out and put things away.  My inventory is a total mess now - mainly because I get tired of chasing the folders around, and end up leaving things wherever they landed.

Any way around this?  Please?

Ann Otoole wrote:

just open your inventory and take a coffee break. After a while it stops being stupid.

I never understood why inventory never had a manager like good ol' Norton (proprietary) or Midnight (opensource) Commander.

nc.jpg

mc-panels.png

PS I mean specifically the left/right-window exchanging features ( copy/move/sort/delete).

Sounds like connection issues, the inventory-window equivalent of 'rubber-banding' when you try to walk in-world.  Check your ping and packet-loss figures in the statistics window (yes, that is what I say to almost everything.  That's because a poor connection is the cause of so many problems).

Hmmm...  OK....

Packet Loss says 0.000%

Ping time ranges between 84 and 96msec

Compared that to a regular speed test page: San Jose, CA (I'm in Florida)

Ping: 69msec  

Download:  24.84Mbps with a peak of 25.32Mbps

Upload:  1.33Mbps with a peak of 1.33Mbps

Definitely not an expert, but from what I see there the connection seems OK.   From other stuff I have found, I am leaning toward it being the friends on and off thing.  I have those notifications turned on, and my list does stay pretty active throughout the day at into the night.

Thanks for the suggestions!

First off, over the past hour, I have had no inventory jumps.  YaY! & stuff.

Tried Ann's trick first.  Drank a whole pot of coffee.  Inventory still jumped aroud...  And by the time the test was done, I was jumping around too.  OK, decaf might have been a better option. And oh yessss....  The ability to manage inventory with an interface like that.  *dream*

Peter's suggestion is a good one no matter what the issue.  Connection can do weird things. This just wasn't one of those.

Ceka nailed it.  I normally have the friends on and off thing turned off.  But back at MensWear Fashion Week in March, I enabled it because I needed to know the second someone got back from a crash, so I could TP them backstage without delay.  I suppose that was when the problem started, but that time was such a zoo for me that it never really sunk in.

So it looks like it's a mix of a feature (Focus shift to an item used or added), and a bug of that feature.

Thanks for all the great input!

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

Ann Otoole wrote:

just open your inventory and take a coffee break. After a while it stops being stupid.

I never understood why inventory never had a manager like good ol' Norton (proprietary) or Midnight (opensource) Commander.

nc.jpg

mc-panels.png

PS I mean specifically the left/right-window exchanging features ( copy/move/sort/delete).

Does everyone knows you can have several inventory windows open at once? (Open inventory, click the 'gear' icon at the bottom of the inventory window, click 'new inventory window'.  Repeat as required)

You can select ranges using shift and control (on a PC) then work with them all at once, from one window to another.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.