Linden Labs - We Need More Updates From You

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear Linden Labs, Your communications with your users has always been a bit on the weak side, but recently it seems t have gotten worse. Your various blogs, meant to keep us informed have grown horribly silent. Lets look at your blog posts: The latest Featured News is a month old The Tools and Technology blog was last posted to by you in October of 2011 Tips and Tricks newest post is almost a year old The Land Blog's latest post is touting the WIndlight Project Viewer from a year ago (please note I am referring to the blog posts and not the comments if you want to check on the dates I have posted above.) I know you have been busy, but a little bit of buzz and excitement from you about your own work would actually appreciated, and could possibly even be infectious. When you are silent like this, it is at best disappointing... The silent treatment isn't helpful.

Ah, nowadays we need to join all kinds of social media sites to keep ourselves up to date and informed what is happening in Second Life. Sites such as:

Facebook, Flickr, Google Plus, Tumblr, Twitter, Plurk, Pinterest ..

And perhaps some others too of what I'm not aware of.
Or rely on word of mouth info from other residents.
:smileyfrustrated:

How very sad but, also very much correct.

When the Lab's CEO recently stated that the latest Marketplace feature rollout was handled in an unacceptable manner (in response to a merchant's question) it was posted on Twitter, not these forums where marchants have hundreds of questions and comments regarding the various bugs in Direct Delivery.

I wonder if anyone at LL understands the importance of PR, marketing or customer relationship management.

(Edited for a lame typo)

Diptheria Glas wrote:

Dear Linden Labs, Your communications with your users has always been a bit on the weak side, but recently it seems t have gotten worse. Your various blogs, meant to keep us informed have grown horribly silent. Lets look at your blog posts: The latest Featured News is a month old The Tools and Technology blog was last posted to by you in October of 2011 Tips and Tricks newest post is almost a year old The Land Blog's latest post is touting the WIndlight Project Viewer from a year ago (please note I am referring to the blog posts and not the comments if you want to check on the dates I have posted above.) I know you have been busy, but a little bit of buzz and excitement from you about your own work would actually appreciated, and could possibly even be infectious. When you are silent like this, it is at best disappointing... The silent treatment isn't helpful.

This illustrates how pitiful it is when there are gobs of 'social media' sites (and LL promotes using them all) however LL do not communicate consistent messages on them ALL.  So, one ends up with overall poor communication.  They should prioritize their pathways as in 1) Dashboard (blog) and 2) whatever else hits their fancy.

Diptheria Glas wrote:

Dear Linden Labs, Your communications with your users has always been a bit on the weak side, but recently it seems t have gotten worse. Your various blogs, meant to keep us informed have grown horribly silent. Lets look at your blog posts: The latest Featured News is a month old The Tools and Technology blog was last posted to by you in October of 2011 Tips and Tricks newest post is almost a year old The Land Blog's latest post is touting the WIndlight Project Viewer from a year ago (please note I am referring to the blog posts and not the comments if you want to check on the dates I have posted above.) I know you have been busy,
but a little bit of buzz and excitement from you about your own work would actually appreciated, and could possibly even be infectious
. When you are silent like this, it is at best disappointing... The silent treatment isn't helpful.

There's your answer - right in the middle of your own post. They haven't done anything for a very long time that's worth creating a buzz about, or even feeling pleased about. What they have been doing in all this time is creating screw-ups (check the Merchants sub-forum).

You are absolutely correct, as I posted elsewhere on a similar subject; cool kids use twit-face, not SL.  LL want to look cool so they don't use SL or its forums/blogs/web-site.

Only a few techs at LL communicate with us - Oskar on server releases, Kelly on all things script.  For the rest, they've dropped SL as too difficult and run for the inanity hills.  Never fear, they'll tell us all about the new products they're interested in before they switch SL off.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Only a few techs at LL communicate with us - Oskar on server releases, Kelly on all things script.  For the rest, they've dropped SL as too difficult and run for the inanity hills.  Never fear, they'll tell us all about the new products they're interested in before they switch SL off.

Lindens were told to stop communicating with the population some time ago. Those who do communicate have special dispensation to do so, and their communications are presumably cleared by someone above them, as used to happen, and probably still does.

if you're all so unhappy, why are you still here? Get the hell out of sl and leave it to the rest of us who are having fun.
LL provide the world, residents provide the content.

As long as they keep the servers up and running (and preferably the marketplace, which though sometimes slow is reasonably stable), which they mostly succeed at, better than most other companies running such large server farms succeed in fact, I'm happy with them.
If you need Linden Labs to tell you what to do you're better off finding a game to play.

They're not perfect, no one is. But they're doing a decent job at a highly complex venture, far more complex than all but a smithering of users can understand (I can understand some of it from my rl background, but far from all, and that little shows me how bafflingly complex this thing is).

I think you're missing the point - we're all unhappy that LL don't communicate here, in-world or using any other SL tools the way they do with twitter, facebook, etc.  We don't want to have to join those other systems just to hear what's happening within SL.  SL is constantly evolving, that's part of the reason for its complexity.  When LL are planning a change to the functionality it should be communicated here, not using another platform.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.