Group Photo idea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luc Starsider wrote:

Yes, textures can be added the way you describe. But they are not really baked in to the mesh, I think. They are exported with the dae file, and in the uploader, I beieve you specify you want ot upload textures, which will find the texture and upload it alongside your model. When you rez the model, the texture will already have been applied. You end up with a texturefile in your inventory as well as the mesh object? At least this is how I understand it is supposed to work. I have never imported this way, so I'm not really sure how the uploading works. Perhaps I should try it out...

- Luc -

Hmm well thats what I always wonderd was if the collada.dae was like a file/folder structure with included or excluded items(flagged within the .dae). since yes you can include or exclude the texture. As far as having another image with the uploaded mesh. I have not seen one or looked for one. I figured it was included in the file/folder structure of the collada.dae

I still have a lot to learn

Edit

Lol after going back into Aditi I looked for the texture and sure enough. it ads it to a folder in your texture folders.....

I agree, we should develop a project that will display properly at "the popular" Preference Graphics Settings.

Considering the quantity of data, I found the Region performance to be reasonable at the 1,000 Avatar Exhibit.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................

If any of the Group Members have some spare time in SL, please visit the 1,000 Avatar Exhibit. Look for ways how we might be able to improve our project by learning from others.

Group Meeting on Sunday: see Group Notices

Aside from the region prim support the rest is irrelevant unless we get script happy.  It's the users' hardware resources I'm speaking about.  SL does great job of managing the resources for the sims.  Region performance can be flawless and people with machines that have limited resources will have issues and problems..........some severe.  Textures are, by far, the most problematic for a large percentage of users.  I'm only trying to address that right now.

I always was under the impression that this feature was more a convenience than a feature, so to speak, which enable you to upload the mesh and textures at the same time. I've alway done it separately bacause it never worked very well to include textures with the mesh upload.

- Luc -

While visiting the 1000 avatar display a while ago, like Knowl, I was surprised by the performance. At first... Not sure how texture loading works, but I think they load in stages as they are needed. Thus the full load of the textures are not seen or felt until you've been at the display for a while and cammed around a bit. I did get frame rate issues after a while, but it took a bit of time. Btw. As far as I could see, the display contains around 2100 fairly high res pictures of avatars. Going there made me a bit calmer about texture rezzing, lag, and such, but I agree still that textures will be a big issue in our project, and the one which visitors are going to feel the most when visiting.

- Luc -

I must thank all the extensive discussion of technical issues about how to display the photos. Your contributions are a great wealth for the ignorant like me. Thank you from the heart.

At the same time, do not forget the second part (may be the first) of the matter: how to get the pictures, how to "convince" a very large number of Residents to contribute with their photos.

It's important to know the best way for show the photos ... if we have photos :)

I forgot to say before, but I really enjoyed visiting your display. It's an impressive array of pictures which show the diversity of the SL population in  way I found very interesting. Thank you for creating the project and keeping the display available to everybody! 

- Luc -

Irene Muni wrote:

At the same time
, do not forget
the second part
(may be the first) of the matter:
how to get the
pictures,
how to "
convince"
a very large
number of
Residents
to contribute with their
photos.

It's important to know the best way for show the photos ... if we have photos
:)

Do you think it would be good to make a smaller project, like 50 or 100 avatars and display it somewhere like an example of what we're creating? Then just hand out a LM. 

@Gracie, ty for checking this thread, I was really impressed with your 1000 avatars project! And it would be awesome if you could share some experiences, or anything with us:)

Tamara Artis wrote:

Irene Muni wrote:

At the same time
, do not forget
the second part
(may be the first) of the matter:
how to get the
pictures,
how to "
convince"
a very large
number of
Residents
to contribute with their
photos.

Do you think it would be good to make a smaller project, like 50 or 100 avatars and display it somewhere like an example of what we're creating? Then just hand out a LM. 

I think that's a really good idea. A good idea that should probably be accompanied by others. In any case, I just wanted to make a warning about the need to study the ways of communication of the project to other residents, advertising, maintenance over time of the request for photos, presence in other language communities ... I have said something about this in my suggestions for the meeting this Sunday.

Yeah I remember you were writing about advertising, which none of us did so far. And its a great reminder! I was thinking it would be good to have some things sorted out before we start to spread the word around. I was talking to some friends and explained what is all about but people want to see some examples, or anything:) 

For example, to have a web page (like our main page) with some basic info about the project, a notecard, LM, that box we agreed to make (I believe we did lol) and posibly a smaller example of our project so anyone interested can teleport and see it inworld.

Tamara Artis wrote:

Yeah I remember you were writing about advertising, which none of us did so far. And its a great reminder! I was thinking it would be good to have some things sorted out before we start to spread the word around. I was talking to some friends and explained what is all about but people want to see some examples, or anything:) 

For example, to have a web page (like our main page) with some basic info about the project, a notecard, LM, that box we agreed to make (I believe we did lol) and posibly a smaller example of our project so anyone interested can teleport and see it inworld.

Advertising wont be too hard on my end. I already have a bunch of people waiting for the word "GO" and yes I agree we should have an example set up web wise and in world so they can see what the outcome will be and how they will be represented in the project

Irene Muni wrote:

lol. True! Advertising is important, and should probably be part of the discussions already.

However... Before we start advertising, don't we need to have a firm decision on what the final display is going to be, and whether it is going to be one or two displays? You know, so we know what to advertise?

I  agree with the idea that an example display is set up. It is much easier to show people what this is about than to just explain what it is about. But we need to know what the example is goint to be first, right? If we decide on two displays - do we need to set up two examples? 

That being said, there are probably plenty of things related to advertising of the project that can and should be discussed straight away, and be decided on soon.

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

Irene Muni wrote:

However... Before we start advertising, don't we need to have a firm decision on what the final display is going to be, and whether it is going to be one or two displays? You know, so we know what to advertise?

Of course :)

But not all is "before" or "after". I think that some aspects of the advertising/promotion perhaps shoul be done at this moment (some ideas in my contributions to the next meeting). For example, contact with residents able to start talking about this project in the International forums (I have opened a thread in the Spanish forum and in my own forum). Or a simple textured prim inworld announcing the launch of this project (you know, something like "Next! The AVATAR PHOTO PROJECT, see...").

I'm not saying that these or other ideas are good (knowing me very sure that they are a disaster LOL). But like I said I just wanted to make a simple reminder of this. :)

Tamara Artis wrote:

Yes and I would tell you go now lol, do all that you find its needed. But like everything else, it needs to be agreed with the rest of the group members.

Are you reading my posts? :)

I probably should be explained very badly. No problem, we'll leave for another day :)

Irene Muni wrote:

Of course

But not all is "before" or "after". I think that some aspects of the advertising/promotion perhaps shoul be done at this moment (some ideas in my contributions to the next meeting). For example, contact with residents
able to
start talking about
this project in the
International forums (I have opened a thread in the Spanish forum and in my own forum). Or a simple textured prim inworld
announcing the
launch of
this project (you know, something like "Next! The AVATAR PHOTO PROJECT, see...").

I
'm not saying that
these or
other ideas
are good (
knowing me
very
sure that they are
a disaster LOL).
But like I said
I just wanted to
make a simple
reminder of
this.

That's what I also tried to say previously. I guess specifics have to wait til a decision has been made, but preparation and planning can be done simultaniously with other, more technical tasks. I saw your notecard in world and think you raise valid points. One thing I have thought of lately is that it would be good if we could somehow sentralise our communication and information in the group, and I think perhaps a forum type solution like you suggest is a very good idea. Or some mailing solution in world, for which I have started to look for products for after talking about it with Knowl.

If I may say so, your ideas and the points you bring up are definitely not a disaster. So stop saying that! :) 

- Luc -

Irene Muni wrote:

Perhaps another question for the next or future meeting:

I'm not sure if it's useful or not but ... include in our logo the "inSL" logo? See the logo of this group:

I was planning on registering our web domain for the use of the InSL logo, for our web presence. Might be a good idea for the logo too

We haven't started promoting the project because we have not agreed on what the project is. Right now, all we would be promoting is an idea, its hard to get people to submit something to an idea, especially since we haven't even agreed on how or where to submit photos to.

Once we get a final decision on what we are doing and how to do it and how to contribute to it, we are going to advertise and promote using all the possible venues available to us.

Right now, all we could say is, contribute to the avatar project! yay! what is it? a bunch of avatar photos! cool! how do I participate? um, I don't know...

No, we don't want that.

My experience at the 1000 Avatar display was sort of the opposite.  When I first arrived very little was rezzing for me an it was noticably lagged.  I did not have my stats bar open so I do not know what the FPS were....but judging by eye it appeared to be somewhere around 10 or so.  Maybe 30 seconds after arriving most of the textures in my cone of view were rezzed and I did have any noticable lag (again my stats bar was not open.......just my judging from what it looked and felt like)  I walked up to the wall I was facing when I arrived to get a better look at the pictures and cammed around on that wall.........yes it was pretty impressive on the quality of the images (I tried to judge the image size by clicking on the prim which the image was placed on to see the prim size........I couldn't get that to make any good judgement but I figured the images were 512 x 512 pixels in size).  It was about that time that Char mentioned that her system was suffering with dropping frame rates.  I opened my stats bar at that time..........I was surprised to see that my FPS were well above 40 (even bumping to 70 or 80 in spikes).  But it dawned on me that was probably due to having such a limited cone of view since I was cammed in pretty close to a single image.  So I brought my cam back to the default view angle and spun around to change the cone of view to see what the frames did.........the dropped as I expected them to do down to about 25 or so until everything rezzed a few seconds later then started climbing again.  Char had to leave since she was afraid she was in danger of crashing.  I left soon after that.  I never looked at the sim performance since that has little to do with my system performance unless there is something drastically wrong with the sim itself.  Scripts, of course, will give sims headaches if they are poorly coded or excessive but that appears not the be the case at the 1000 Avatar display.

I don't think anything we would do with our project that would effect the sim performance to a point of it being an issue as long as we stay away from scripts as much as possible.  It's the individual users' computers that I'm concerned with.  I have an above average system so I cannot say "well, it's good for me so it's going to be good for others".  The case that Char encountered issues and I did not when our systems were under pretty much identical situations.  I think Char has a pretty good computer too (I'm sure it's probably a little better than the average users of SL).  If that experience can be avoided with our project then I want to make that happen.......if it's something we cannot avoid, then I want be confident that we did did everything we could to make the experience for the visitors as lag free as possible.  Find the best trade off for quality while giving anyone visiting the display the least problems.  Super quality is fantastic.....but useless if no one can enjoy it.  Texture, by far, are the biggest component effectly lag....hence my concern about texture size (we anticipate a very high number of textures in this project which requires attention to all that rendering load we are going to place on every visitor's graphics hardware).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.