using bots to target and bann targeted other land groups to gain people

tcservices1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i have a problem. I have a popular syym. I rent and developed. and there is a sym that was popular that came to my land because people came to my land to have fun. they did not like it. we found out that they are not a info hub and they were using special scripted bots and transporting them at intervals to the info hubs and getting them to londen city owned by billy, and torrec. we did not complain but then they use after we have parties ect anyone that comes here or has my group in their profile it will bann them. making people mad. I was asked to do something. I do not know how. today after a full 80 people which came from everywhere and we had a rez day party. they went to londen city and the bot immediately banned them from there. I realy don't care if they use them but was asked why are they constantly using bots in info hubs and targeting everyone on my popular sym. to punish them for coming here. where we did nothing to them. they keep getting mader, sending trolls and we all can fight back. we limited restriction to the land so they can use their cars, huds and have fu. they keep targeting my group. because and people are getting realy mad because they are using bots to target info hubs and my group. is this illegal? people do not like getting banned because they went to another sym. I do not know how to resolve this.

thank you terry

tcservices1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry about spelling. I just woke to get bombarded with im's about the bots that londen city is using. and to try to do something. I do not control other lands and wish not to. but is there some rule about banning bots that are scripted to ban other land popular groups? I don't care much. he is losing people doing that but people are complaining and it keeps people away from my land, and makes people that like to sym hop, mad as well.

TC,

I'm trying to understand what you and LC [London City] have in common. Certainly not VIps or Visitors. Your offerings are completely different from them. If these "Bots" are visiting your Regions or Parcels, why don't you just A.R. the Bots, the Bot Creators & Bot Owners and be through with it? If you are hanging out at Infohubs shilling for visitors then it appears that you have some competition from the Auto-Shilling-Bots? Is that what you are saying?

Just asking.

If it get's bad from visiting Bots then manage your parcel LM LPs [Landmark Landing Points] so people can only arrive at them. Make them exactly 512 sqm in size and select them to be unscripted. Only live avatars will be able  to walk out of that space into the rest of your offerings. The 512 size still allows you to post events for the venues located at the LP's.

As for "LC" Bot Owners pre-banning potential visitors? HUH? The notion that you can pre-ban people in other Land Groups that are not your own makes no sense whatsoever. Bots in infohubs can't prevent anyone from visiting your offerings. Can you clarify this?

P.S.-  It's Region not syym.. You own a Popular "Destination" Region or you own a Popular Venue located on a Parcel. The difference is important to this discussion.

P.S.S. The noise level, both in Chat & Voice, at the Infohubs I've been to as of late make them prime candidates for my list of places never visit again.

1.. its SIM not sym

2.. You can not name an shame anyone in the forums. I would remove the names from your post.

3. SIM owners can ban anyone they like for any reason they choose. and they don't have to give a reason.

my advice, ignore them, report them when they grief your sim and ignore them any other time.

I am sorry but I don't really understand what's supposed to be happening.   You seem to be saying that this sim -- which you shouldn't really name in these forums, I don't think  -- is sending bots to your sim to invite your visitors to go to this other sim instead, and then banning them when they get there.  

That doesn't make much sense to me, so I suspect I've misunderstood.

Be that as it may, most sims have pretty strict rules about not soliciitng for business for rival sims.   Why not simply send home and ban the bots as soon as they start spamming your visitors with invitations?

k. well I created a new sym. theamed and a few people came from somewhere else. they got my group tag, and things were fine. bu then word got out that I do not restrict huds and I have a car race track, and other fun stuff. in order to use the jetskies and rex they need a tag on my land. then I became popular. people were coming from londen city running away from trolls and complaining. they stuck around. I then put up shops, ect. and was building. the land has became popular. then a troll came and one of the visitors fought back and they got mad, left went to londen city and complained that they could not troll. on my land. everyone that herd it wanted to go see. and I became more popular. then one day the owner of londen city came to my land grabbed my name, and my tag. and all of a sudden I get a notice I was banned from londen city. and everyone on my group that had my group of now 80 people got banned as well as punishment for visiting my land. they were telling me that they made a scripted bot that reads the profiles and banns anyone that has my tags. even if they poped in. they asked me why is their bots targeting them. all of a sudden. then I get a thretning message from the owners that I was trolling them and they were going to bann my group. when I do not go there. and a lot of people complained. in a way they are prebanning with bots and targeting my land group. they keep coming here they keep trying to target my land extensively. also telling his staff if they see my group tags in their profile to bann them. I realy do not care it only gets them coming here and they hang out here and complain about them. then I get notecards of them using bots in info hubs to target nubies to their land when they are not a info hub. I keep getting complaints about the bots there. and wondered if there is something I can do for the nubies or sym hoppers. especialy when they target anyone that comes and gets my tags and pre banns them. they are scripters there that made this bots. and no one is catching it. until now after lots of complaints about them. I just wanted to see if using bots to target group land is illegal.

Let me see if I got this straight:

A (rival) SIM is using Bots to collect the names of people who visit your SIM.

The (rival) SIM is then banning anyone who visits your SIM from going to their SIM.

The people who have been banned from the (rival) SIM are complaing to you that the (rival) SIM has banned them.

A.  I'd be happy about this.  It would mean more traffic for me.

B.  The people should be complaining to the SIM that banned them, not to you.

C.  If someone banned me because they didn't like where I went I wouldn't want to have anything to do with them either.  Generally speaking, I would tell any one who tried to control my life like that to "hug a root."

D.  As far as dealing with the Bots, I don't know answer.  I do hope someone else has some solutions for you.

eta:typo

Please update your question with the requested information as follows:

Select the Options drop-down menu to the right of your question and select Edit Question.

Perrie Juran wrote:

The (rival) SIM is then banning anyone who visits your SIM from going to their SIM.

The people who have been banned from the (rival) SIM are complaining to you that the (rival) SIM has banned them.

C.  If someone banned me because they didn't like where I went I wouldn't want to have anything to do with them either.  Generally speaking, I would tell any one who tried to control my life like that to "hug a root."

D.  As far as dealing with the Bots, I don't know answer.  I do hope someone else has some solutions for you.

I so agree!

E: No - It's not illegal or against the TOS [Terms of Service] To come up with a list of banned people using Bots. Mind you this is a great thing! Why? Because for a Region or Parcel the most you can ban is 500 Avatar Accounts. Keep on growing and soon their Ban slots will be all filled up and then they will have no protection from real Trolls and Griefers - :D Success is such sweet revenge !

I belong to groups with over 10K VIPs in them. Shoot for the stars and stop worrying.

As for Bots visiting your place see my post above.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Select the Options drop-down menu to the right of your question and select Edit Question.

Perrie Juran wrote:

The people who have been banned from the (rival) SIM are complaining to you that the (rival) SIM has banned them.

I so agree!

E: No - It's not illegal or against the TOS [Terms of Service] To come up with a list of banned people using Bots. Mind you this is a great thing! Why? Because for a Region or Parcel the most you can ban is 500 Avatar Accounts. Keep on growing and soon their Ban slots will be all filled up and then they will have no protection from real Trolls and Griefers -
:D
Success is such sweet revenge !

I belong to groups with over 10K VIPs in them. Shoot for the stars and stop worrying.

I'll add

F.  The bad publicity for the (rival) SIM.  We know quite well the average SLers reaction to being told what they can or can not do.  (Even though we support Land Holders rights that does not mean we always like what they do).

thanks for input. this definitely needs to be addressed. about prebanning groups, or rivery sims. iwas trying to help others understand why they got prebanned. for visiting my sim. it is like a war to get people to visit.and the prebanning bots not the individual that did nothing gets banned for visiting other sim's. is bad.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I so agree!

E: No - It's not illegal or against the TOS [Terms of Service] To come up with a list of banned people using Bots. Mind you this is a great thing! Why? Because for a Region or Parcel the most you can ban is 500 Avatar Accounts. Keep on growing and soon their Ban slots will be all filled up and then they will have no protection from real Trolls and Griefers -
:D
Success is such sweet revenge !

I'll add

F.  The bad publicity for the (rival) SIM.  We know quite well the average SLers reaction to being told what they can or can not do.  (Even though we support Land Holders rights that does not mean we always like what they do).

I'll raise ya this option:

G. You so need to have a "Let's all get Banned" Party for your VIPs. In the nicest way possible you should hold an event with your VIPs to see how many you can get banned from LC by the event end. No spamming allowed and just say hello to the Staff at "That Place"! Maybe a Prize for the persons who guess the total number of new bans? A nice prize for each new bannie?

"I Got Banned from LC and All I got was this T Shirt"

:P

..... just kidding

tcservices1 wrote:

I apoligise for naming the sm. I should not mention them but I keep getting complaints about them prebaning my land
because I am popular
. to punish them for visiting my sim.

Anyone else starting to think this smells like an Ad for his sim?

"someone is baning my vips from their land, is that ok?" Seriously?!?

thank you my feelings are same. i just feel bad for the new people that visit. the rivery sim is realy mad. they keep trying to keep the trolls out and targeting everyone. i feel sory to them as well. but coming to my land grabing my group names, and my avatar banning everyone while they flee from there is rather funny. i hope that the new people learn that some sims are mean. thank you. for your info. it is helpful. this never happened to me and i try to help.  

tcservices1 wrote:

thanks for input. this definitely needs to be addressed. about prebanning groups, or rivery sims. iwas trying to help others understand why they got prebanned. for visiting my sim. it is like a war to get people to visit.and the prebanning bots not the individual that did nothing gets banned for visiting other sim's. is bad.

So why did they target you? What did you do to them? How did you get on their radar in the first place?

How does one know when you get banned? I didn't think there was a message that popped up. Unless you tried to go there.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

tcservices1 wrote:

I apologize for naming the sm. I should not mention them but I keep getting complaints about them pre-banning my land
because I am popular
. To punish them for visiting my sim.

"someone is banning my VIPs from their land, is that OK?" Seriously?!?

I thought of that earlier 'cept for this one thing..... He never mentioned the name of his Place. Only the place annoying his VIPs. I had to dig into his Profile to figure it out. But that's me. I'm sure no one else is so pedantic. Of course this thread could get a full color glossy post in it saying:

EAJ.jpg

with a SLURL under it!

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

tcservices1 wrote:

I apologize for naming the sm. I should not mention them but I keep getting complaints about them pre-banning my land
because I am popular

I thought of that earlier 'cept for this one thing..... He never mentioned the name of his Place. Only the place annoying his VIPs. I had to dig into his Profile to figure it out. But that's me. I'm sure no one else is so pedantic. Of course this thread could get a full color glossy post in it saying:

EAJ.jpg

with a SLURL under it!

I've been to LC and it is a beautiful build.. Calling oneself a rival to it would make me want to check out his sim as well. As well as others would, i'm sure.

Still not buying the whole "is it ok for someone to ban people for no reason" question.. Seriously, he has been in SL long enough to know the answer.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

tcservices1 wrote:

because I am popular

EAJ.jpg

with a SLURL under it!

I've been to LC and it is a beautiful build.. Calling oneself a rival to it would make me want to check out his sim as well. As well as others would, I'm sure.

Still not buying the whole "is it OK for someone to ban people for no reason" question.. Seriously, he has been in SL long enough to know the answer.

A few of my ALTs have visited LC as well and yeah - it is lovely. But I've also seen a few Management/VIP Spam wars over there in their Group as well and was wondering WTF? - Your points are well taken - ;)

Land partitioning and no-script flag will not help, given the way that bot relay system works. You have access to all the avatar names/uuids on a region if you're anywhere on it, no scripts is ineffective for attachments, and these avatars can do all their key collection and relay from client side scripts.

The only way to stop this would be to identify the avatar(s) collecting the information (who may not act as, or even be, unattended bots) and prevent them from teleporting in. This would still leave members of tcservicee1's group vulnerable, if that group is visible in their profiles or they leave it active somewhere.

It's very clearly anticompetivite behavior but good luck getting LL to care about such things unless they affect their own marketplace.

yep. i like the place it is nice. i just do not understand what i did to them to put my group on the prebaning lists. when i did nothing to them. and they are still banning everyone that is new in my groups. as of yesterday everyone knows not to wear my tags there. but there are plenty of other tags being worn there and they are not banning them just my group. eople are complaining and this is why i asked the forum. what is legal and what is not.

tcservices1 wrote:

yep. I like the place it is nice. I just do not understand what I did to them to put my group on the pre-banning lists. When I did nothing to them. and they are still banning everyone that is new in my groups. As of yesterday everyone knows not to wear my tags there. but there are plenty of other tags being worn there and they are not banning them just my group. People are complaining and this is why I asked the forum. What is legal and what is not.

OK - here is an exact answer for you. IMHO

Region and Parcel owners in Second Life may ban anyone, for any reason, anytime, period!

If a person approaches another and says "I'm so banning you because you are in this other Group", that is unfriendly but probably fails the test for harassment in Linden Lab's eyes.

Carry on with your wild growth. ")

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.