Your Favorite Debug Settings Revisited

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I can't stand that obnoxiously annoying sound you get when you're typing and decide you want to backspace all the way to the beginning, then you hit the backspace key a few too many times (I'm always doing this).

...Dres

What I finally realized one day in that situation what a friend ctrl/a was if I was dumping the whole line.  You also reminded me of this wonderful video:

Enjoy  :)

Perrie Juran wrote:

What I finally realized one day in that situation what a friend ctrl/a was if I was dumping the whole line. 

I have noticed lately on several occasions then when I Ctrl+A to highlight what I'm typing so I can delete it, it spams some weird text straight to local chat. It looks like help text for something, but I haven't read it in detail to figure it out. Usually I'm left apologizing "Sorry, I didn't mean to do that, I have no clue what just happened."

I must have accidentally triggered some Crtl+A override (I use Phoenix), and I don't know how to fix it.

Quinn Morani wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

What I finally realized one day in that situation what a friend ctrl/a was if I was dumping the whole line. 

I have noticed lately on several occasions then when I Ctrl+A to highlight what I'm typing so I can delete it, it spams some weird text straight to local chat. It looks like help text for something, but I haven't read it in detail to figure it out. Usually I'm left apologizing "Sorry, I didn't mean to do that, I have no clue what just happened."

I must have accidentally triggered some Crtl+A override (I use Phoenix), and I don't know how to fix it.

Ctrl+Shift+A if you are accidentally hitting that is a command in viewer 2 for communicate>local chat.  I'd have to log in to check what if anything it does in Phoenix.  I don't use V2.

Also, for anyone who is interested/doesn't have it, here is the list of all keyboard commands:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/All_keyboard_shortcut_keys

i dont know exactly, but it seems some features are assigned to work with just one processor by default, when you acitvate RenderDeferred the load gets distributed to both processors, or, some load that is on the processor where everything happens get moved to the second processor

I noticed an issue specifically with the "RenderDeferred" setting.

It seems this debug setting is directly related to the "Lighting and Shadows" setting which is in the "Graphics" tab under "Shaders". When it's set to true it turns on "Lighting and Shadows" and if you turn off "Lighting and Shadows" it's automatically sets "RenderDeferred" to false. And vice versa.

The problem with "Lighting and Shadows" being turned on is that it renders shininess a different way and some things, that rely on shininess being rendered the regular way, look horrible.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about (the top is with "Lighting and Shadows" turned off, "RenderDeferred" set to false, the bottom is with "Lighting and Shadows" turned on, "RenderDeferred" set to true):

L&S_example.png

Notice that in the bottom one, shiny can be seen, but it doesn't obscure the texture the way the top one does.

While this could be seen as an improvement in the way shininess is applied to textures, many things have been created with the original type of shiny rendering in mind. In this example, the top one looks like brass while the bottom looks like... well... shiny yellow PVC pipe... not good... lol.

Imagine my surprise when my RL roommate and SL sister, to whom I'd given this bed, came to me and said that her bed had turned all yellow. Yeah, I had set the "RenderDeferred" to true on her viewer as well. So after figuring out what was causing it, I had to turn it off.

Seeing as this setting is turned off by default, most people will see shininess rendered the old way. But, at some point, if this setting is set on by default, a lot of things are just not going to look "right" anymore.

Just wanted to point this out.

...Dres

::also noticed the above::

the worst part of it is, the old behavior was way too dark, and the new behavior is actually closer to correct, but changing the old behavior will result in tons of broken content so is unlikely to be changed. changing the deferred pipeline to mimic the old behavior is extremely limiting to what can be shown, so it to is unlikely to be changed =/

• 1 year later...

RenderGlowMinLuminance - Any value below 1.000, lower is stronger.

Requirements: Glow must be enabled.

This makes bright Objects glow automatically, without Glow being set in the Build menu. (Even bright land and Avatar Skins can glow this way.) I'd recommend anything between 0.600 and 0.800 to keep it fairly subtle.

RenderSSAOEffect - X: 0.400 Y: 0.000 to 1.000

Requirements: RenderDeferred and SSAO must be enabled.

X controls how strong the Ambient Occlusion is, a value of 0.400 instead of 0.800 makes it more notable without overkilling the effect, though you will see some noise in the effect, this is due to how cheap the SSAO is in Second Life. Likely to keep SSAO from eating all system resources. The Y value controls the Saturation, the higher the value, the more it blends with the Object the effect is seen on, 0.000 makes the effect colourless. Values far beyond 2.000 can sometimes give some funky effects.

RenderSSAOFactor - 0.400

Requirements: Same as above.

Standard is 0.300, the lower this value, the closer two surfaces must be to each other to make the Ambient Occlusion occur, lower is more realistic, but I think Linden Research sad it a bit too low, but only a little. 0.400 Should do the trick, nice balance between minor and overkill.

RenderSSAOScale - 200.000

Requirements: Same as above.

Standard is 500.000... Which is too much in my opinion. This value controls how much the darkening effect of SSAO becomes spread out, I use 200.000 so that the darkening sticks to gaps and corners, though in some cases higher values are better. Honestly it's hard to find a good every-day-use settings for this effect.

RenderShadowResolutionScale - 2.000 to 4000.

Requirements: RenderDeferred and Shadows must be enabled, also a beefy system is highly recommended.

Standard is 1.000. This is the multiplier for the Shadow Resolution, high values will give more detailed shadows, but also cost a lot of frames per second, sacrificing graphics card memory (VRAM) in the process. But it's nice for shooting pretty pictures. Edit: Lowering your RenderFarClip or Draw Distance also helps improving shadow quality as the shadow resolution is 'spread out' over the entire scene, so the smaller the scene (lower draw distance) the less spread out the shadow resolution becomes. See it as upscaling a digital image, the larger you make it, the more blown up the pixels become.

RenderShadowBias & RenderShadowBiasError - 0.000 to -0.007. (Depends on scene.)

Requirements: RenderDeferred and Shadows must be enabled.

Pretty advanced feature but photographers might love this one. Standard values are -0.008 for Bias and -0.007 for BiasError. Normally this Settings makes shadows not render too close to an Object as it can cause some weird shadows on the surface of an Object when this Setting is either not set or set too low. (Or high, as we use negative values here.) One will have to experiment with this Setting to find the right values for what they wish to photograph, but good values will make shadows appear in tiny corners like between the face and hair on an Avatar for example. (Like this.)

• 2 months later...

Ooooooh, stumbled upon this one, at least in my personal opinion it is very neat, it allows you to disable your own name plate, but only for you, but not for others: RenderNameShowSelf - True/False

Now to find out if there is also a way to make only my own Voice Dot vanish, I shoot video's sometimes and hate to turn Voice off for it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.