What the new SL will be about

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Connor Nowles wrote:

Naehh i don't agree.. :-)

There is software that can detect the rythm "beat" of music.. Then some script of some sort makes the animation run in a certain speed to follow the music..

Or lets say dj's has the option to load a script that tells the beat of the music they play, and the different animations are then able to follow that beat..

Idk, just ideas.. I'm not a programmer.. :-)

I like the idea... the problem is that each user must download each animation before it plays.  This means that animations start at different times for different users.  Not only that, but the way one user hears a music stream may also be out of sync other users, as it must be sent through the net and there may be delays for users depending on where each user lives.

Like you, I'm not a programmer so I must concede that it could be possible, but I seriously doubt that making it happen would be worth the trouble of doing so... for LL anyway.  Perhaps a user with the technical ability to do so will think it's worth while and come up with a system for making it work.

If, in fact, the New World is as easy for which to develop experiences as Ebbe is making it out to be, it might not be as difficult as I think.  It's not easy to imagine what might be possible, when your only real point of reference is how things operate now.  Once the beta comes out, I'm sure we'll all be better able to grasp the possibilities.

...Dres

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coby Foden wrote:

Cathy Foil wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

if you try to upload a file bigger than 2048x2048 it tells you the max size is 2048x2048... i have a 1024x1024 that i made for a mesh house i was going to make. it covers all sides and faces.. one single texture. How is that worse than 10 512x512s?

I have zero lag when it comes to SL. I have great internet and a very fast PC. why should i pay more for a texture?

Perhaps LL has increased the texture size limit since I last checked or it is a third party viewer that you are using?

I will definitely be doing some research to see what the current size limit in SL is.

All Viewers

Maximum texture size - 1024×1024 pixels

All Second Life textures are constrained to powers of 2 (e.g., 128, 256, 512).

Some textures inworld have a resolution as high as 2048×2048; this is due to a previous limit that was higher.

Max Clothing Texture - 512x512 px (except 128x128 px for eyes) - Server Side Appearance will downsize larger textures.

Thanks for the info and links Coby! :D

Saves me from having to hunt around SL's wiki for it. :)

Perhaps the message Drake was getting was the third party viewer thing or perhaps LL has raised the texture size limit and just hasn't updated the wiki pages to reflect it.  I wouldn't put it past them.

Next time I log on I am going to try and upload a 2048 x 2048 size just to know for sure.

Thanks again Coby. :D

I like your idea about syncing the rhythm of the song to the rhythm of the animation Connor.

It would definitely improve dancing.

One possible way for LL to do it would be when an animation is uploaded there be a field to input how many beats are contained in the animation.  LL would know the duration of the animation before it repeats.

I am sure a small bit of code could be developed to detect the beats of any music that is being played and determine the time between beats.

Once this is determined the viewer could speed up or slow down how fast the animation is played to so the beat interval matches the music.

To get over people's music starting at different times the animations would not be started in each viewer till the sound of the music is detected.

Even now two viewers running on the same computer the avatars in each viewer are not in sync with each other in SL.

Great idea though Connor.  I hope LL is listening and make it work. :D

Yeah you might have some good points there.. :-) If i think a little about then then i could come up with dumb ideas like:

"the problem is that each user must download each animation before it plays"
Yes that should not matter. Each animation is somehow created and uploaded.. Maybe in the upload window some code is added to each animation so it is able to follow some beat. So if you are at a club and click on the dance ball all the animations are able to do so if you want then to.. :-)

"This means that animations start at different times for different users"
Does not matter since the animations are able to change speed and therefore automatically will fall in with the rythm.. :-)

"Not only that, but the way one user hears a music stream may also be out of sync other users"
Yes true, it is already like that.. If i dance with a girl it might look fine on my computer and look different on her computer.. :-)
And that is just the way it should be, because the animations "all you see on your screen" are processed by your own computer.
That means it don't matter at all if you and someone else see something not exactly at the same time.
Because my computer process the animations so i see it on my screen compared to the music that comes out of my computer.. And her computer does the same on her screen somewhere else in the world.. Don't matter if they don't do it exactly at the same time or with half a sec delay, you cant look at her screen anyway.. :-)

Yeah i don't excarly know how it should work in the upload window, but maybe you have a good idea there.. :-)
Maybe animators can even add the beat point to a certain frame in the animation..
Like:
Beat 1 = Arms down
Beat 2 = Arms up
Beat 3 = One leg up
Beat 4 = Arms down and one leg down

But maybe some animations will look weird with some music, since music can have different beats..
Like 1-2-3  1-2-3 and some music is like 1-2-3-4  1-2-3-4..

Like if you dance a waltz i think the dance is like 1-2-3  1-2-3.. if you then go to a club with modern music then maybe most beats are 1-2-3-4  1-2-3-4.. So it would look stupid with a animation where we dance a waltz..
But then again, it would also look stupid in rl to dance a waltz to modern music, and if they aim for a more real life feeling then it is soppouse to look all wrong.. :-)

Idk, there must be a solution to that also.. maybe just change the dance then, hehe.. :-)

Cathy Foil wrote:

<snip>

.....or perhaps LL has raised the texture size limit and just hasn't updated the wiki pages to reflect it.  I wouldn't put it past them.

</snip>

Just a note here that really everyone should be aware of.  Not everything in the Wiki is done by LL and edits can be done by any user on any page unless it is marked "Linden Lab Official."  Also, Users can start new pages on topics.

It is extremely rare that LL updates pages themselves.

Sometimes Users document their updates.  They will cite the Release Notes or maybe a Linden made a comment during a User group meeting.  Too often they don't.

So it really can be a good thing to check the History and Discussion Tabs to check sources.

If you look a the history tab on the limits page ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits ), you can for instance see changes I made.  In this case I tested the values myself, but I know of no official source for what I added.

This can be especially very, very important when reading pages dealing with LL Policies, The TOS, Community Standards and the like. 

ETA: Clarity

Connor Nowles wrote:

Don't matter if they don't do it exactly at the same time or with half a sec delay, you cant look at her screen anyway.. :-)

Right, as long as she sees the both of your animations in sinc with the music and you see the both of yours that way as well, it wouldn't matter of you're both in sync with each other, as long as you're both in sinc with the music as you hear it.  I'm becoming less skeptical as to the possibility of it being accomplishable.

...Dres

Connor Nowles wrote:

Yeah i don't excarly know how it should work in the upload window, but maybe you have a good idea there.. :-)

Maybe animators can even add the beat point to a certain frame in the animation..

Like:

Beat 1 = Arms down

Beat 2 = Arms up

Beat 3 = One leg up

Beat 4 = Arms down and one leg down

But maybe some animations will look weird with some music, since music can have different beats..

Like 1-2-3  1-2-3 and some music is like 1-2-3-4  1-2-3-4..

Like if you dance a waltz i think the dance is like 1-2-3  1-2-3.. if you then go to a club with modern music then maybe most beats are 1-2-3-4  1-2-3-4.. So it would look stupid with a animation where we dance a waltz..

But then again, it would also look stupid in rl to dance a waltz to modern music, and if they aim for a more real life feeling then it is soppouse to look all wrong.. :-)

Idk, there must be a solution to that also.. maybe just change the dance then, hehe.. :-)

Here is how I would look at this problem. As an animator, I could create different types of dances to different kinds of beats, and different timing. I would then give each of those animations a number that corresponds to the beat. A scriptor would create a system that recognizes the beat, and plays animations according to the beat. I think the code could just check the description of the animation for the correct beat number, or it could be in the name of the animation. I had an idea a long time ago to make a dance hud with buttons to switch to different beat times. I never finished it tho. Dance animations are generally much more work than most other animations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.